Driven to Despair - Report on DVLA medical section

It seems to be business as usual.
In November they said if I made an application my licence would be returned ‘as soon as possible’.
Took a call from them yesterday and they told me that it would be Feb 2017, when I’m due to get it back anyway.
These people have no concept of the stress involved dealing with their incompetent, inept, thoughtless, dishonest actions.
I hope they all had a really rubbish Christmas and properly shabby New Year.

chilistrucker:

Spooky558:
I’ve reapplied for my licence that I surrendered for medical reasons in 2006. I reapplied for it on the 21st of May this year. It’s now over 5 months and all they will tell me is that it’s in a queue and that if I feel fit and my GP agrees, then I can drive under section 88 of the RTA 1988. But who is going to employ me without a licence, and what about my DCPC?

They’re a major pain in the backside. They need to realise that they are having adverse affects on people, they are stopping us working.

You are right, they do need to realize the pain and suffering they have caused, not just to lorry drivers, (or ex) like ourselves, but this could have affected a much wider scope of people as well. Keep watching this thread, plans are being made :wink:

I contacted them again by their email form. It’s now over 7 months since since I reapplied. Here is the reply I got from them…

I can confirm that the information we have received is with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed. I appreciate you have already been waiting some time and assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can.

I understand that any delay in making a recommendation on your fitness to drive may cause you concern and we will write to you once your medical information has been considered.

There is no need to contact us unless you have new information for us to consider.

How long does it take? I can’t find anywhere where they tell you how long it will take to carry out this procedure. I’ve read in your old thread in here (2014) that it can take 12 weeks. They expect me to just wait on their say so. :frowning:

I can confirm that the information we have received is with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed. I appreciate you have already been waiting some time and assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can.

I understand that any delay in making a recommendation on your fitness to drive may cause you concern and we will write to you once your medical information has been considered.

There is no need to contact us unless you have new information for us to consider.

Sounds like the ususal Blah Blah Blah Spook.
If I could translate that for you:
“Please leave us alone you irritating pleb. There is some work that needs doing but someone has just brought in a fresh case of Hob-Nobs so nothing is going to change until they are history. We sympathise, honest, but its not as if driving is a proper job so we don’t see the need to hurry. If you have some new information for us to consider that will mean you go to the back of the queue.
You could complain but you would have to complain to us first and that would only make the situaton worse, wouldn’t it sonny.”

I don’t think Cicero gets quoted often on this Forum but here goes:

" A bureaucrat is the most despicable of men, though he is needed as vultures are needed, but we hardly admire vultures who bureaucrats strangely resemble. I have yet to meet a bureaucrat who was not petty, dull, almost witless, crafty or stupid, an oppressor or a thief, a holder of little authority in which he delights, as a boy delights in possessing a vicious dog. Who can trust such creatures?"

Obv in ancient Greece all bureaucrats were men and we now have women who appear to be just as capable of sinking to these depths, thats progress that is.

I make you right astrocan. :grimacing:

I replied to their email and asked them how long I was looking at waiting, how long the process should take and what is causing the hold up. I’m now waiting on their reply.

Surely to goodness, 7 months is too bloody long?

When I spoke to the first guy back in May, he leas me to believe that it would be as simple as filling in a form, and returning my photocard, and it should be a few weeks.

I had to wait 15 months, all they had to do was write to my GP! 15 bloody months.

Dimlaith:
I had to wait 15 months, all they had to do was write to my GP! 15 bloody months.

Jesus Christ! When was that? :open_mouth:

Got a reply from them…

I can appreciate your frustration having not heard from us.

We understand how important this is for you, and are dealing with cases as quickly as we can.
Your medical information is with us and it will be looked at by our Medical Advisors as quickly as possible.

I am unable to provide you with a timescale.

I am sorry I could not provide a more favourable reply.

They can’t even give me an idea, a ball park figure. I’m disgusted. I asked how far along the queue I was and you’ve all seen the reply above.

“I can appreciate your frustration having not heard from us.”
I doubt that you can

“We understand how important this is for you.”
If you understand, why aren’t you doing anything about it?

“I am unable to provide you with a timescale.”
Because that would mean making a commitment. If we don’t make commitments, we don’t fail

“I am sorry I could not provide a more favourable reply”
Just as we were sorry all the previous times and will be all the subsequent times. Still won’t change anything though.

And just to rub salt into the wound Oliver Morely Chief Exec. of DVLA is now Oliver Morely C.B.E.

WHAT!!■■

Had my first 45 year old Medical Jan 3rd 2017, sent the form off recorded Jan 4th 2017, received new licence and DCPC card today Jan 13th 2017…phew!!!
BTW good luck lads with all your issues hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

jonesy5573:
Had my first 45 year old Medical Jan 3rd 2017, sent the form off recorded Jan 4th 2017, received new licence and DCPC card today Jan 13th 2017…phew!!!
BTW good luck lads with all your issues hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

DVLA are reasonably competent at box-tick adminstration which could be outsourced to the monkey house at Swansea zoo with no discernable drop in performance.
If you present them with a issue that requires analysis and a decision for which someone might have to be held responsible, thereby jeapordising a cushy job and generous tax-payer funded pension, you are in a different ballpark. Decisions are made that protect the intersts of the decision makers, rules and guidelines are bent and interpreted to come to a pre-determined outcome and if that chucks the career and life of a pleb truck driver down the drain its OK. We’re alright Jack.

The one thing that really ■■■■■ me off is that they tell you that you will receive a reply within x amount of time, then that time passes with no reply, no explanation and no apology.

Hi All
Sent my licence back in august with the medical form so they could renew my hgv cat, l had some tests done 2 years ago angiogram/treadmill which all came back clear, because of this l am still waiting for it to come back. After phoning them in oct 2016 l was told that they have just started to check the medical forms for March 2016 so l wont get it any time soon. lol

stu bag:
Hi All
Sent my licence back in august with the medical form so they could renew my hgv cat, l had some tests done 2 years ago angiogram/treadmill which all came back clear, because of this l am still waiting for it to come back. After phoning them in oct 2016 l was told that they have just started to check the medical forms for March 2016 so l wont get it any time soon. lol

Thats a disgrace, but par for the course.
In an ideal world you would complain but that would only be flogging a dead horse.
I can only suggest getting in touch with your MP and asking her/him to chase it up for you, especially if this is creating problems at or with work. If it is creating problems at or with work, get someone from work to write as well or at least countersign your letter. Ordinary working people are the political flavour of the month so milk it while it lasts because they’ll move on to something else soon, believe me.
It can’t do any harm to mention Driven to Despair and ask your MP to read at least the summary.
Its online, should take them all of 3 minutes.
Good luck.

When I was fitting DVLA fro my licence a few years ago now I had some test done came back all clear they had all the information from my Dr & consultant but still nothing when I phoned 1 time they said I needed all the test done again as it was over 6 mth old & they didn’t know if there had been any changes

It got to the stage I was phoning most weeks knew some of the people who answered the phone by 1st name after several mth of this I was a little economical with thing my licence arrived 3 day later full no restrictions at all

So I can understand what you are going through know what dealing with DVLA medical section is like I hate it

Good luck

Looks like I’ve been caught in the DVLA medical section web. :frowning:

Was diagnosed with high-blood pressure, informed DVLA, licence was revoked, signed off sick. Successfully treated by my doctor, BP back to normal with medication, sent all documents back to DVLA. Not good enough they said, I have to have a full medical. No problem, done that and sent all documents away again. Now seem to be caught in the back-log. Employers’ not happy, not back at work due to no job suitable for my disability. Have to be ‘off sick’ with no doctor’s note. Getting harrassed by my employer to get my doctor to lie and make up an illness to get me signed off. I have refused as I’m not putting my relationship with my doctor at risk.

Don’t know when I’ll get my licence back. :neutral_face:

animal:
I was a little economical with thing my licence arrived 3 day later full no restrictions at all

Can’t recommend this, its what Harry Clarke, the Glasgow bin lorry driver did, but I can certainly understand why you would and it makes any decision DMG make totally unreliable and anything they do totally pointless.
If you are crucified when you tell the truth and can get away with being ‘economical with thing’ who can be surprised at the outcome?

DMG just want to be off the hook to protect their own personal interest. If you give the desired answer you can have whatever you want, give an honest answer it’s goodbye career.
They are completely unreliable and not to be trusted.

astrocan:

animal:
I was a little economical with thing my licence arrived 3 day later full no restrictions at all

Can’t recommend this, its what Harry Clarke, the Glasgow bin lorry driver did, but I can certainly understand why you would and it makes any decision DMG make totally unreliable and anything they do totally pointless.
If you are crucified when you tell the truth and can get away with being ‘economical with thing’ who can be surprised at the outcome?

DMG just want to be off the hook to protect their own personal interest. If you give the desired answer you can have whatever you want, give an honest answer it’s goodbye career.

My Dr & both my consultants wrote to DVLA telling them there was nowt wrong with me after a year of tests they recommended to DVLA to send my licence back

Funny how if they really thought there was something wrong they would have given me a restricted licence or just my car licence back but no all entitlements for the full 5 years ( needed another medical then due to age which I did go to my own Dr fro & pay for which he filled in sent off licence came back within a few days again for 5 years )

So yep on the phone I was a little economical but I know I was fine so did my medical team

I’ve had the letter through today saying I have to go to Specsavers for their affiliated opticians to do more tests on me. I have to go within 4?week of when the letter was dated in this case the 6th of February and if I miss my appointment then my license will be revoked.
I’ve got myself booked in for a week on Saturday. Thing I don’t understand is the last time I had to go to a DVLA affiliated opticians it was to my local hospital, why is it now I have to go to Specsavers? Are they in cahoots with the DVLA making a nice little earner whilst signing off perfectly fit drivers as unfit to drive and ruining their livelihoods at the same time? :unamused:

animal:

astrocan:

animal:

My Dr & both my consultants wrote to DVLA telling them there was nowt wrong with me after a year of tests they recommended to DVLA to send my licence back

Funny how if they really thought there was something wrong they would have given me a restricted licence or just my car licence back but no all entitlements for the full 5 years ( needed another medical then due to age which I did go to my own Dr fro & pay for which he filled in sent off licence came back within a few days again for 5 years )

So yep on the phone I was a little economical but I know I was fine so did my medical team

I have had a PM from ‘animal’ and can assure everyone that no attempt was made to disguise or cover up the extent of his condition. I hope that puts this particular example to bed.

The fact remains that all Harry Clarke had to do was lie to a doctor and he got to keep his licence. I have had medicals signed off by doctors who didn’t know me from Adam, to whom I could quite easily have lied to and not been challenged. I have never had an LGV medical from my GP.
I have just had a response from the Idependent Adjudicator who has decribed my behaviour as ‘exemplary’ yet DMG still nailed my arse to the floor.

As DMG cannot be trusted to come to a rational decision and make it nigh on impossible to challenge anything it’s no surprise to me that some drivers feel obliged to be dishonest. I don’t condone it, I just understand it.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Are they in cahoots with the DVLA making a nice little earner whilst signing off perfectly fit drivers as unfit to drive and ruining their livelihoods at the same time? :unamused:

I would prefer to go to my local Specsavers for an eyetest than slog all the way over to a hospital for the same thing. It relieves the workload at the hospital and I don’t know of any reason to underestimate the qualifications of the optometrists in the shop. If Specsavers are making a reasonable profit on the arrangement then it would seem to be winners all round.
If any optometrist anywhere says you are OK to drive and DMG continues to with hold your licence, thats where the ruination of livelihoods starts.