Drink Driving?

rearaxle:
Got away with what exactly…thats classed as his living quarters as well , so why can’t you have a drink ffs many do…I’m sure most drivers stopping out have a drink.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Sat in the drivers seat with keys in the ignition?

edd1974:
Says he blew 87 the legal limit is 35.
And he was planning on setting off around 7am.
By time his defence says he could.of been under the limit.
But article states he was questioned in the evening.
And he said he was. Setting off at 7 am. being generous say he was taking 12 hours off.
means he was parked up around 7 am. He mus of been going some to blow 87 no idea how much drink that is. But to blow that much .in the evening after obviously driving all day and only being parked up a matter of hours.
He was either drinking earlier while maybe driving
Or he downed a bottle of something strong…
Either way I reckon he had a.drink problem and hope this is a wake up call for him

Imo what the Old Bill should have done when they approached him and seen he was ■■■■■■ was…
A.If they were decent coppers, tell him to sleep it off, (maybe even take his keys and drop them back off when passing in morning) then keep an eye on his truck overnight whilst on crime prevention patrol (aye right :laughing:) in case he attempted to move.

B.Tell him to sleep it off,.and if he attempted to set off after what they considered not enough time,.even after 11 off…nick him.

Tbf if he has got a drink problem to the extent of him blocking a bottle of vodka on a night, he’s in the wrong job.

stu675:

rearaxle:
Got away with what exactly…thats classed as his living quarters as well , so why can’t you have a drink ffs many do…I’m sure most drivers stopping out have a drink.

So what?..
By that line of thinking maybe I should remove my steak knives out of my cutlery box in cab…in case I go out and stab somebody on a night out.

robroy:

stu675:

rearaxle:

So what?..
By that line of thinking maybe I should remove my steak knives out of my cutlery box in cab…in case I go out and stab somebody on a night out.

You’re right, it was just my initial impression before I read on. (And coming from a truck that doesn’t have an ignition key [emoji23])
Dan makes a good point if it’s required for the radio or alternatively being at home and access to your car outside.
Obviously the ideal situation is the cops to steak out until he actually drives off, but they’re never going to do that!

Conor:
This. Park up for an 11 off, have a shower, have something to eat and a few pints, roll into your bunk and when you get up 7 or 8hrs later not a trace of alcohol left in your system. Park up for 9, have a skinful then have a few hours kip and away is a completely different kettle of fish.

I’m not so sure you’d have no alcohol or be under the limit after a few pints and only having 7 or 8 hours off before driving, 2 or 3 pints then, yes fair enough but depends on your definition of a few?

Going off thread topic slightly here about drink driving but related to the whole “keys in ignition” debate.

A few weeks ago I was coming up the A42 North near East Midlands Airport and a few miles before it joins the M1, I suddenly hit rolling/stationary traffic, which was due to an accident on the M1 J23a - 24. I was in the outside lane at the time (This stretch is 2 lanes for anyone who doesn’t know the A42).

After rolling along for about a mile, traffic came to a standstill and being high up I could see several hundred yards up the road that no-one was moving or going anywhere. I turned the engine off and raised the steering wheel to stretch my legs. Then I picked up my phone and started googling the highways traffic website/twitter etc. to see about the delay, next thing, matey boy in the artic alongside me and in the inside lane toots his horn and signals for me to wind the window down - I just thought it was to exchange pleasantries about the delay or any info on what’s happening, no, it was to start having a go at me for using my phone while in charge of a vehicle and that as a “professional driver” I should know better and be more responsible.

I pointed out to him that we had been stationary for 2 mins or so by that point and also that we would not be moving anywhere for at least another 2 mins based on how far in front I could see that traffic had not and was not moving at all. He retorted that I should still know better and brought up the “you have the keys in ignition and are currently on a public highway” comment. He then followed it up with an absolute gem that there are police forces up and down the country driving about in unmarked tractor units filming drivers doing wrong - now I’m not actually disagreeing with him on that point but when we are sat in stationary traffic on an A road dual carriageway with no hard shoulder then I find it hard to imagine how they would pull alongside me to film such a heinous crime. It was at this point the window was wound up so we did not have to engage anymore.

The whole thing was a lack of common sense based on the situation in front of you as it was happening rather than the black and white world some people seem to live in.

tmcassett:
Going off thread topic slightly here about drink driving but related to the whole “keys in ignition” debate.

A few weeks ago I was coming up the A42 North near East Midlands Airport and a few miles before it joins the M1, I suddenly hit rolling/stationary traffic, which was due to an accident on the M1 J23a - 24. I was in the outside lane at the time (This stretch is 2 lanes for anyone who doesn’t know the A42).

After rolling along for about a mile, traffic came to a standstill and being high up I could see several hundred yards up the road that no-one was moving or going anywhere. I turned the engine off and raised the steering wheel to stretch my legs. Then I picked up my phone and started googling the highways traffic website/twitter etc. to see about the delay, next thing, matey boy in the artic alongside me and in the inside lane toots his horn and signals for me to wind the window down - I just thought it was to exchange pleasantries about the delay or any info on what’s happening, no, it was to start having a go at me for using my phone while in charge of a vehicle and that as a “professional driver” I should know better and be more responsible.

I pointed out to him that we had been stationary for 2 mins or so by that point and also that we would not be moving anywhere for at least another 2 mins based on how far in front I could see that traffic had not and was not moving at all. He retorted that I should still know better and brought up the “you have the keys in ignition and are currently on a public highway” comment. He then followed it up with an absolute gem that there are police forces up and down the country driving about in unmarked tractor units filming drivers doing wrong - now I’m not actually disagreeing with him on that point but when we are sat in stationary traffic on an A road dual carriageway with no hard shoulder then I find it hard to imagine how they would pull alongside me to film such a heinous crime. It was at this point the window was wound up so we did not have to engage anymore.

The whole thing was a lack of common sense based on the situation in front of you as it was happening rather than the black and white world some people seem to live in.

What?? :open_mouth:
You mean you actually acknowledged his existence, let alone answered to him and explained yourself to the prick? :open_mouth:

The short conversation I would have had with him would be something like this after he gobbed off at me.

‘‘Ok mate,.are you undercover or off duty Police by any chance ?’’

No I aint.

‘‘Well ■■■■ off then and mind your own business’’
Whilst pressing electric window shut and sitting back down with my phone. :bulb:
Then waved at him as he undoubtedly filmed me and rang the Old Bill. :unamused:
I hate that type of nosey ■■■■. :grimacing:

tmcassett:

Lol! What a ■■■■■■■■. And a nosey one at that.
Soon as it becomes apparent he’s not there to exchange pleasantries press the window up and start laughing. Leaving him even more worked up.

The Campervan point someone made was spot on imo.
Just thought actually when I firsrt started with an agency I did the very odd shift night tramping. Middle of summer I parked up at 10am, starting again at midnight. Had something to eat, and a few beers in the sun haha it was 34 or something like that in Rochester at 11am! Before I tried to sleep though I run the air con for a bit so obviously ran the motor :astonished:
Agree common sense needed.

Again I call “Robroy for PM”.
The bloke’s representation must’ve been free legal aid, you get what you pay for.
The plea and finding should have been not guilty.

Our and your laws share much in common. We have no charge of drink driving, it’s ‘being in charge of a motor vehicle while under the influence of a drug or alcohol’. Technically a person is in charge if they have access to the keys.

A person can be dragged from their bed and be charged with DUI, of a vehicle with no wheels or engine, if they are under the influence and know where the keys are. The chances of this actually happening are remote and only likely if the cops knew another offence had been committed, but lacked evidence.

Years ago, a ruling was made, in Queensland, that a truck driver would not be charged, if he wasn’t actually driving.

Old mate could always have claimed that he would review his starting time in the morning.

robroy:

tmcassett:

What?? :open_mouth:
You mean you actually acknowledged his existence, let alone answered to him and explained yourself to the prick? :open_mouth:

The short conversation I would have had with him would be something like this after he gobbed off at me.

‘‘Ok mate,.are you undercover or off duty Police by any chance ?’’

No I aint.

‘‘Well [zb] off then and mind your own business’’
Whilst pressing electric window shut and sitting back down with my phone. :bulb:
Then waved at him as he undoubtedly filmed me and rang the Old Bill. :unamused:
I hate that type of nosey [zb]. :grimacing:

Despite my long winded post the actual conversation was probably no more than 20 seconds. Plus once I’d realised he was beyond stupid at the fact we were stationary and not going anywhere I gave up and the window was up.

One aspect that has not been considered in this post…

Did he fail the roadside “Attitude Test”?

Maybe Mr Plod then gave him what he could for being a (fill your own words here)

Paul

^^^^ my thoughts exactly.