Double Bottoms in the UK

This equipage was prepared in UK so is still linked. It’s from a 1985 issue of Super Truck. Robert

I don’t know if the same would happen in the UK; but my experience of doubles in Canada is that they ruined a good job that I had. All too often I would have a trailer taken from me when there was 800 miles left on the trip. It would be doubled-up and pulled by one of the companies dedicated turnpike-double units. Then if work was slow, it could 2 or three days before I got another job; where as if I had continued with the trailer there would have been three days more work on that round trip.

Whitworths trial double bottom , pulled by a b series,
Tony

image.jpgI’m not sure if this qualifies for the double bottom thread or not, but it’s an interesting setup nonetheless.
Borrowed from an Atkinson Vehicles publication that I acquired at the Preston guild sometime in the early 70’s, the photograph illustrates Robert Heaton’s innovative solution to handling abnormal loads. I get the distinct impression however, that this rig may have experienced considerable difficulty in negotiating anything other than billiard table surface conditions.

Eddie Heaton:
0I’m not sure if this qualifies for the double bottom thread or not, but it’s an interesting setup nonetheless.
Borrowed from an Atkinson Vehicles publication that I acquired at the Preston guild sometime in the early 70’s, the photograph illustrates Robert Heaton’s innovative solution to handling abnormal loads. I get the distinct impression however, that this rig may have experienced considerable difficulty in negotiating anything other than billiard table surface conditions.

Hello Eddie, What a fantastic picture.
Like you i can not see how it would work unevon ground and i do think it qualifies, thanks for posting it, PS what I would give for the boat!!! Harvey

A post on FB by Leonard McArdle, ‘Skipvitesse’, reminded me of a great photo of his taken in the early days of Caravan Trucking in Dammam. Ginger McNeil took this ‘rig’ from Dammam Port to Riyadh, 300 miles, with Geoff Collins as his second man. No special lights, no ■■■■■■. When he got there, he reversed it down an incline into a dark basement, no mean feat. I couldn’t reverse a double for more than a few yards!

John.

A woman got on the bus this morning, she had a double bottom. It didn’t look like any of those in the photos, and certainly shouldn’t be legal. Put me right off my dinner.

fodenway:
A woman got on the bus this morning, she had a double bottom. It didn’t look like any of those in the photos, and certainly shouldn’t be legal. Put me right off my dinner.

Boom Boom! Or should that be Bum Bum?

put this on another site I think but of course not in the Peak District

Mack road train.jpg