Don't pull your tacho card

Popping the card at the derve pump is of course wrong. As the OP said, much better to drive the extra 1 or 2 minutes with the card in. However, is it the culture of fear of the dreaded piece of paper to sign that makes drivers eject? 1 minute isn’t an issue to the DVSA unless there is a consistent pattern of doing it, so why do operators make it seem like it is the end of the world? They say that is one infringement that will stay on your record for 6 weeks and all that nonsense. For one minute ffs. The DVSA aren’t bothered about it, so why are operators?

I regularly pull my card in the yard before moving the truck. We have to end our shift on 15 mins ‘other work’ and sometimes the garage need to get out the vehicle behind you, or tell you to drive round to the workshop so they can service the truck.

No way am I sitting there for 12 mins, getting interrupted, driving for 30 seconds, and then restarting my 15 mins.

Tailschwing:
I regularly pull my card in the yard before moving the truck. We have to end our shift on 15 mins ‘other work’ and sometimes the garage need to get out the vehicle behind you, or tell you to drive round to the workshop so they can service the truck.

No way am I sitting there for 12 mins, getting interrupted, driving for 30 seconds, and then restarting my 15 mins.

Where did this start? Is it another “internet expert” thing? What is the purpose of showing 15 mins of other work after you’ve parked up at the end of your shift? How long does it take to write in the end mileage on your paperwork and pop your card? It’s 60 seconds tops. Hand paperwork and keys in while card is downloading, take card, get in car and go home. It’s a 5 minute exercise at the most.

Noremac:
Popping the card at the derve pump is of course wrong. As the OP said, much better to drive the extra 1 or 2 minutes with the card in. However, is it the culture of fear of the dreaded piece of paper to sign that makes drivers eject? 1 minute isn’t an issue to the DVSA unless there is a consistent pattern of doing it, so why do operators make it seem like it is the end of the world? They say that is one infringement that will stay on your record for 6 weeks and all that nonsense. For one minute ffs. The DVSA aren’t bothered about it, so why are operators?

Mine was 5/6 mins without & card in , charged with 1 offence , £776 + a caution off the t/c , so Dvsa do care about the odd minute or two without a card in , and I can’t see why my case would be any different to anyone else’s , so DVSa will charge you for 1 offence
Interested to know where you got your knowledge of DVSa procedures whilst driving without a card in ? Mine was from a day at Carlisle magistrates court

Punchy Dan:
Why knock the op ? Is it not better to have almost direct contact with such a person ?
rather than a Dvsa personnel that sometimes can’t give a good answer to issues ?

But he’s not a t/c is he , he states all cases will result in a meeting with the t/c which is blatantly wrong ( and he should know that as he’s making out he’s a t/c ) , as I say in my case it was a letter & a caution

DCPCFML:

Tailschwing:

Where did this start? Is it another “internet expert” thing? What is the purpose of showing 15 mins of other work after you’ve parked up at the end of your shift? How long does it take to write in the end mileage on your paperwork and pop your card? It’s 60 seconds tops. Hand paperwork and keys in while card is downloading, take card, get in car and go home. It’s a 5 minute exercise at the most.

It’s for the vehicle checks. To show DVSA my employer are extra super duper committed to compliance. It takes me half that to press the button which makes all lights flash, walk around and check said lights, check tyres/nuts, and give everything else a once over.

The worst by far is when you have to come back to depot and switch trucks - e.g. bulb warning on dash, which is usually not an actual problem with bulb. Got a call shortly after leaving the other day to say truck was due for service so I had to come back. I’d only just done my 15 mins before leaving. Then had to do another 15 before pulling card, followed by the first 15 again in a new truck. An hour into my shift and I’d done ten mins driving and 45 mins of vehicle checks!

So, we have to do 15 mins before moving vehicle and 15 mins before pulling card. Some of the Mercs go to break if you switch off the ignition, so you can be halfway through your 15 and have to start again if you turn the key too far and completely turn off ignition after doing your checks.

Tailschwing:

DCPCFML:

Tailschwing:

It’s for the vehicle checks. To show DVSA my employer are extra super duper committed to compliance. It takes me half that to press the button which makes all lights flash, walk around and check said lights, check tyres/nuts, and give everything else a once over.

The worst by far is when you have to come back to depot and switch trucks - e.g. bulb warning on dash, which is usually not an actual problem with bulb. Got a call shortly after leaving the other day to say truck was due for service so I had to come back. I’d only just done my 15 mins before leaving. Then had to do another 15 before pulling card, followed by the first 15 again in a new truck. An hour into my shift and I’d done ten mins driving and 45 mins of vehicle checks!

What a load of ■■■■■■■■ ! Why do you put up with that [zb] every day? I’d have [zb] that [zb] off after a week and gone elsewhere. Utterly ridiculous.

DCPCFML:
What a load of ■■■■■■■■ ! Why do you put up with that [zb] every day? I’d have [zb] that [zb] off after a week and gone elsewhere. Utterly ridiculous.

Absolute and utter bs. Anyone who actually goes through with this routine must be off their heads. No wonder there is a driver shortage with this sort of idiotic ruling, I think we will soon see drivers having to employ a secretary to do their paperwork and do their checks for them before pulling out anywhere and then on their return. The mind boggles.

Yorkshire Tramper:

DCPCFML:

Absolute and utter bs. Anyone who actually goes through with this routine must be off their heads. No wonder there is a driver shortage with this sort of idiotic ruling, I think we will soon see drivers having to employ a secretary to do their paperwork and do their checks for them before pulling out anywhere and then on their return. The mind boggles.

[zb] me we actually agree on something. There is still hope yet :smiley: .

dozy:

Noremac:

Mine was 5/6 mins without & card in , charged with 1 offence , £776 + a caution off the t/c , so Dvsa do care about the odd minute or two without a card in , and I can’t see why my case would be any different to anyone else’s , so DVSa will charge you for 1 offence
Interested to know where you got your knowledge of DVSa procedures whilst driving without a card in ? Mine was from a day at Carlisle magistrates court

The difference being that your case wasn’t simply driving for a few minutes over the permitted time - It was a deliberate action to conceal the truth. That’s why you ended up before the court.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

dozy:

Noremac:

Dozy, if you read a bit more closely I said leaving the card in and driving for 1 or 2 minutes every now and again wouldn’t be anything to bother the DVSA. I’m not quite sure where you got the idea that I said popping the card out and driving would be okay.

The DVSA publish the enforcement sanctions policy. The OP in this thread also outlined that popping the card is effectively a false record which is much more serious and is likely to attract attention. As the TC said, he is obliged to treat it seriously.

DCPCFML:

I start my new job in a fortnight! :smiley:

I’m sure this is a dumb question but I’ve Googled and cannot find the answer. I’m taking my C to drive a motorhome (for personal use) > 7.5T then C&E to allow me to tow a car trailer. Being a C&E holder for private use do I fall under the remit of the TC?

dom_f:
I’m sure this is a dumb question but I’ve Googled and cannot find the answer. I’m taking my C to drive a motorhome (for personal use) > 7.5T then C&E to allow me to tow a car trailer. Being a C&E holder for private use do I fall under the remit of the TC?

I wouldn’t worry about the t/c , all she gave me was a caution , I’d be more worried about the clerk of the court ( if you ever visit one ) as she spent what seemed like 1/2 hr going on about custodial sentences with the old bat of a judge ( there was 3 ) nodding in agreement , then there’s the DVsa solicitor who wanted £500 for doing not a lot of nothing as far as the wife could see , then he thinks you should travel all the way back up to have your lisense took off you for a month , then there’s the victim in this ( no idea to this day who that was) , but you’ve got to pay them £30
As I say the t/c will be the least of your problem , it’s the other ■■■■■■■ who want to chuck you in a cell & raid you’re bank at the same time you need to worry about

Noremac:

dozy:

Noremac:

Dozy, if you read a bit more closely I said leaving the card in and driving for 1 or 2 minutes every now and again wouldn’t be anything to bother the DVSA. I’m not quite sure where you got the idea that I said popping the card out and driving would be okay.

The DVSA publish the enforcement sanctions policy. The OP in this thread also outlined that popping the card is effectively a false record which is much more serious and is likely to attract attention. As the TC said, he is obliged to treat it seriously.

Yes but the same still stands , the DVSa solicitor came & spoke to me & the mrs in the court waiting room to find out my plea , he then said don’t worry your is a nothing charge ( that was his words ) , you’ve only got a few mins with out your card out 1 offence & you didn’t gain financially or time wise
Yet the first words uttered in the court room was the clerk of the court going on about custodial sentences , then this nothing charge cost me £776 , then I’m sure if the DVsa solicitor had his way I’d of had a months suspension of my lisense ( seemed t/c saw sense on that )
Card in / out , mins I’d not risk anything , like me , I had 20 yrs of no interest at all , they only need to stop you once , I had every man & his dog telling me they wouldn’t do you for 1 offence of 5/6 mins without a card in ( there must be more to it than that ) but they did , same as you’d say the same for mins over time with card in , I’d not risk anything
They spent 1 1/2 years checking on me as they didn’t believe it was a one off ( I know that as compliance officer told me ) before I was told it was going to court , they had evidence of where card was took out , even a fire on a13
I’d not risk anything with them , do it 100% by the book

dom_f:

Yes Dom, you do. What counts is not whether you drive for personal or commercial purposes: as soon as you have vocational entitlement (ie have passed a test for C1, C, or C+E), you fall within the TC’s remit. One of my first driver cases involved a woman who only used her C licence to drive her private horse box, but because of two drink drive offences she had to attend a hearing and received an extended disqualification (beyond the one given by the courts).

There on the prowl

418968FB-C904-4243-BCE0-199D5FAFF059.jpeg

robthedog:
There on the prowl

If only…! My car is much more modest than that. Thanks for the picture of the insecure load on the adjacent lorry though!

Traffic Commissioner:

robthedog:
There on the prowl

If only…! My car is much more modest than that. Thanks for the picture of the insecure load on the adjacent lorry though!

Bloody hell, a TC with a sense of humour, but I suppose it’s compulsory with having to read some of the garbage that’s posted on this forum.