Don't answer that phone

Yes it works very well, no complaints at all so far :slight_smile:

Oh oh, you’re ahead of me. :laughing:

Reef:
Yes it works very well, no complaints at all so far :slight_smile:

it must be good then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hilz:
Does it work? Doesn’t it affect your ability to hear what you should be hearing…potential vehicle problems, the external environment etc?

Uhh If I was conversing with someone and I heard an odd noise being made by the vehicle I would say “Shut the [zb] up for a second” and give that noise my full attention, the same as if that person was sat in the passenger seat (afaik its not illegal to talk to your passenger) just like I’d turn the radio down or off, not really getting your point tbh?

I don’t think it’s too difficult to grasp what I mean…having a telephone conversation with this in your ear(to me) is not giving the driving the attention it deserves. :confused:

Well its not in your ear (good job too as its like an inch and a half wide and 5 inches long) It clips onto your sunvisor.

And like I said its no more distracting/disruptive than talking to a passenger or listening to the radio or even singing your favorite Kylie song to yourself is it?

If you get that distracted that easily I’d suggest an office chair as opposed to an air suspension one if I’m honest.

we so called professional’s know that answering phones while mobile is distracting whether its hands free or not so the only solution is that mobiles should not work while in motion so until that happens stop moaning the worst offender’s are those texting/face aching/not using hand’s free we all use our mobile whilst driving one way or another

Earthline never gave me a handsfree although they gave me a company phone. It was really nice of them to block all calls except to the office, so leaving it to answerphone was extremely pointless. Turning the phone off didn’t work either- they rang my personnel phone, asking why my work phone was off. Got a couple of snotty comments because I’d not answered the cab phone quickly enough. Tossers.

Reef:
If the firms have trackers or onboard computers (the type that gives you your jobs) then there is absolutely no reason or excuse to phone the driver for “an update” or a “where are you now”

This is (imo) a classic stall tactic by the traffic planner trying to shift pressure from the customer or the Boss to the driver, I’m surprised they don’t start playing “hurry up” music down the phone to you (sorry oldies its a gaming reference, when playing a video game if you are running out of time you usually get urgent sounding music start playing to encourage you to get to the finish)

But ROG is right if the phone rings when you’re driving, ignore it, pull up in next lay-by and phone them back (one firm I worked for didn’t supply company phones so we used to ring and then hang up, then the Traffic Planner would see who rang and call you straight back, (so no “I’m not using my bloody credit to phone the numpties back” excuses please) Of course if its a company phone then no problem anyway.

One place I worked the planner was always bugging you for a ETA (we were on tracker but he’d still bloody ask “how far off are you”) So I’d ring back and say “Look I’m pulling over and stopping every time you call which is inevitably delaying me further” he apparently had words with the Boss about me and the Boss said to him “stop [zb]ing phoning him then!” :wink:

…with this music? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGHdpdPaIOY

Not good when you get “About your PPI Claim” cold calls, and when you’ve pulled into a layby to answer the damned thing, you then pull out - and get phoned by the planner asking “why you stopped when he didn’t call”. Of course you’ve stopped a second time under the motorway bridge left of the concrete barrier, and because you’ve got British plates, VOSA pulls in behind you, PCN pad in hand… :open_mouth:

They get my office number but I don’t have hands free for it so I don’t answer it when I am driving. I do have a Bluetooth earpiece for my private number which is the one that gets called more often. The agencies seem to use txts more these days anyway

Reef:
Well its not in your ear (good job too as its like an inch and a half wide and 5 inches long) It clips onto your sunvisor.

And like I said its no more distracting/disruptive than talking to a passenger or listening to the radio or even singing your favorite Kylie song to yourself is it?

If you get that distracted that easily I’d suggest an office chair as opposed to an air suspension one if I’m honest.

I think it is your own failure to see exactly the disturbance these devices can have on a drivers’ ability to give the job the attention it deserves; it’s called ‘human performance’ factors, it’s not about being a health and safety fascist. Perhaps it is you that needs to take the office chair instead. :laughing:

Hilz:

Reef:

I think it is your own failure to see exactly the disturbance these devices can have on a drivers’ ability to give the job the attention it deserves; it’s called ‘human performance’ factors, it’s not about being a health and safety fascist. Perhaps it is you that needs to take the office chair instead. :laughing:

[zb]ing trolls :unamused:

I’ve been banned from site before - for refusing to answer a hand-held phone whilst driving.
I reported the yard to VOSA in due course, for this, and a number of other “unsafe practices” endemic at the yard, but last I heard They’d won some kind of award for efficiency.

FFS you can’t make it up! :imp: :angry:

If laws don’t put the right people in jail - there’s really no point in ever having them.

With firms:
People die - no one gets jailed.
People get robbed - no one gets jailed.
Threats are made to the public well-being by a dumbarse system - H&S don’t even bother to fine anyone.

But if a DRIVER steps out of line - the fines are all for them, plus any 6 year jail terms handed out, and of course there’s always the “instant dismissal” for refusing to tow the line when asked to perform an unsafe act. :imp: