Doing builders merchant grab deliveries

on a rather amusing but not directly related note…

if your driving a skip lorry, dont do what one did in front of me, back up to the skip in a 7.5t and try to lift the skip up… having forgotten to put your rear hydraulics down. never seen a truck do a wheelie before… the skip was full of granite. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I worked for TP a while ago and their drivers dont earn as much as Jewson guys I can assure you of that. !!! One of the best ways to earn respect from the sales staff is to keep informing them of building sites you see but dont deliver to they LOVE that kind of info !!

I moved from driving to an office job and I wish I was still driving im good in sales but had little or no hassle when I was driving !!

a hiab is for kerbside deliveries only. Moving the stock around should be done by forklift or barrow.
e.g.
Driver, can you put the stuff on the other side of this hedge, wall, pram?
No
Driver can you put the ton of bricks over the other side of the bentley
No
Driver, cant you make the crane reach any further
No
Drive, aren’t you worried that I’ll refuse to accept the delivery?
No

Grab all bags execpt 10mm stone, dont strap bricks anything like that, normally use rope, anything loose would be shrink wrapped. Watch the forklift drivers as they’ll throw the load on any which way they can and dont care if its falls off, i’d get them to take the whole ■■■■■■■ lot off and start and again if i didnt like it. Anything up to a ton would only put one leg out and down on the side im slewing over, if you cant drive you will be able to once you’ve done builders merchant work, tight is when the lorry doesnt fit, signs saying “unsuitable for hgv’s”, means plenty of room. Rear bumpers can be straighten out with a forklift and piece of wood, front bumpers can be fixed with duck tape. Lift suspenson up when reserving in fields and up steep slopes as these can not be repaired with either.

Euro:
Driver, can you put the stuff on the other side of this hedge, wall, pram?
No

We’d go over walls, hedges, below the level of the lorry all the time.

Oh, and watch for overhead phone lines!!

Bairdy:

Think its like 500quid if you pull one down, thats what i was told anyway.

Remember in this game the customer is never right , use your own judgment & don’t be pressured into doing anything your not comfortable with, you are responsible f& you know the limitations of the equipment your using not the customer or builder who used to do hiab work! If it all goes wrong you can’t say he told me to do it !

qwakers:
on a rather amusing but not directly related note…

if your driving a skip lorry, dont do what one did in front of me, back up to the skip in a 7.5t and try to lift the skip up… having forgotten to put your rear hydraulics down. never seen a truck do a wheelie before… the skip was full of granite. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reminds me of when I loaded a clapped out Ford Cargo skip wagon years ago; It had a skip bigger than the standard ones (as high as the sealed type that asbestos goes in) and Drive said “fill it” (with ballast). After some groaning the cab started to lift (with Drive holding the levers) before some oil seals blew; One blackened greasy driver, and one shovel driver peeing himself with laughter.
:laughing:

Bairdy:

and look out for manhole covers and priceless flower pots!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Saaamon:

Bairdy:

Think its like 500quid if you pull one down, thats what i was told anyway.

just coil it up and leave at the bottom of pole-you’d be unlucky if you got caught,unless someone grasses you up lol.
bit more important are overhead electricity lines,much more prominent in rural areas-try to avoid going too near these at all costs for obvious reasons!!

rigsby:
just watched the video , what the hell was that pillock doing putting 2x1.4 ton packs directly on to a scaffold ? if jewsons see that video he will be out of a job shortly .

Did you see the headbang at approx 3mins.

It’s this kind of muppetry that brings it down on the rest of us, Jewson’s won’t be the first BM to insist that remote operators stay off the bed at all times.

Chas:

rigsby:
just watched the video , what the hell was that pillock doing putting 2x1.4 ton packs directly on to a scaffold ? if jewsons see that video he will be out of a job shortly .

It’s this kind of muppetry that brings it down on the rest of us, Jewson’s won’t be the first BM to insist that remote operators stay off the bed at all times.

Missed him banging his head, the main thing wrong with the video is the plonker on the scaffold, what was he doing? He could have loaded out half the other pack while the driver was lifting the other. He’ll never earn any money tossing it off like that :unamused:
Other than that, top marks to the driver for getting them up there, but surely there’s a telehandler on the job somewhere to do that !! If they were concrete blocks they’re putting a lot of trust in the scaffolders though :slight_smile:

Whilst still working for a merchant I saw a brilliant newspaper cutting of a HIAB incident when doing my CPC.

Goes a bit like…Grab driver arrives at site and builder wants to get up onto first storey scaffolding but can’t be bothered to get ladders off van. Driver offers to lift him up with grab. The rest went something like HSE, large fine, permanent pelvic injuries, former employee. How do these people get away with it for so long before causing someone an injury.

Foxstein:

Chas:

rigsby:

Missed him banging his head, the main thing wrong with the video is the plonker on the scaffold, what was he doing? He could have loaded out half the other pack while the driver was lifting the other. He’ll never earn any money tossing it off like that :unamused:
Other than that, top marks to the driver for getting them up there, but surely there’s a telehandler on the job somewhere to do that !! If they were concrete blocks they’re putting a lot of trust in the scaffolders though :slight_smile:

Or the driver could have lifted a half pack at a time,then again it would have taken him twice as long too offload .
Took him long enough . . obviously paid by the hour :stuck_out_tongue:

what a clown!!! he looks like he might be a agency driver as he has no uniform and how the hell does he operate the crane with the remote round his neck? :smiley:

layby:
what a clown!!! he looks like he might be a agency driver as he has no uniform and how the hell does he operate the crane with the remote round his neck? :smiley:

I think he was lucky that he didnt end up with the crane around his neck!! :laughing:

I must admit you need to be alert and can easily forget where the crane is when your moving around all the time ! Should have his hard hat on tho ! :smiley:

rigsby:

One of the first things you are told on your driver induction week away with jewson is under no circumstances have you to load anything onto scaffold, crane over cars, over blind walls etc.

If it comes out we have done so, it renders us liable for dismissal. Plus, I just don’t like doing it.

Yes they are getting strict now , I never went on the induction but we keep having to sign memos about not lifting over cars etc etc