Does anyone agree with me?

I think someone was taking the ■■■■ here…he must have ocd…or has a strap fetish or maybe had a bollocking for not doing the job rite on a previous trailer. :laughing:

kindle530:
bloke who loaded this steel got done for an insecure load! i think it said 96 straps in the article. the ratchets were pulling the floor up.

kin 'ell. Has ROG finally got a TM,s job with Nick2008 haulage

I would hate to have to undo all them straps and roll them up and pack them away…10 to 20 is bad enough but 96, no thanks!

Al

Jeez, lads, you like making work for yourselves. Most loads I’ve pulled would only fall over if you’re driving like a ■■■■■

The euros are ridiculously obsessed with load security with you having to strip boards out the side and take 26 straps off pallets that wouldn’t fall over in a month of Sundays even if you we’re driving like a ■■■■■ So at every drop you make you’d be happy to strip boards out and 26 straps and then put them all back again? Suppose its ok if you want to drag the job out, I just hate unnecessary bs though.

Just to add if a load needs strapping then I will strap it, just a bit of common sense rather than automaton compliance to some law that some jumped up ■■■■ with no experience of the job has come up with to justify his salary.

we have new trailers which say the curtains will hold in a turnover at the maximum weight. sos why strap for a side tip over? yes, I know rear pallets have to be strapped to stop movement. Why strap pallets that are jammed up against other ones, where are they going to move■■? They can’t go forward ffs.

DADDY LONGLEGS:
Why strap pallets that are jammed up against other ones, where are they going to move■■? They can’t go forward ffs.

Our loaders have a habit of loading pallets that are say one foot tall in front of pallets that may be six feet tall. Also, sheet steel, pipes etc only need to move forward once to really spoil your day.

DADDY LONGLEGS:
we have new trailers which say the curtains will hold in a turnover at the maximum weight. sos why strap for a side tip over? yes, I know rear pallets have to be strapped to stop movement. Why strap pallets that are jammed up against other ones, where are they going to move■■? They can’t go forward ffs.

Nowhere in the regs does it say a load has to be strapped for a side tip over, the load has to be restrained by means other than its own weight, it’s not as if it is new legislation either.

I have been forced off the road by an overtaking artic, I avoided the bridge parapet he just about shoved me into but the curtains on my motor, along with half the body were wrecked where he ran down the side of me, the load was strapped and stayed in place.

So the curtains allegedly will hold in a rollover, assuming they stay in one piece will the rest of the trailer hold up? I doubt many trailer roofs are strong enough to hold 28 tonnes of load from bursting through in a rollover.

stobart tipped by Glen TK2, on Flickr

internal straps on curtainsiders are next to useless. If the body were to roll over in an accident, then I seriously doubt that those dingy little things (hanging from a beam on the roof by a single o-ring) are gonna hold a darned thing in. Probably not even a pallet of toilet paper or crisps. I’d be quite inclined to agree that in a lot of cases it’s a stealth tax.

If a pallet does look like it’ll need strapping then I’ll be quick to put a proper ratchet ■■■■■■■■ it to hold it down, but as for taking the time to strap all the pallets on a curtainsider with those hanging straps… meh :angry:

Someone better tell ASDA and every other major haulier that uses curtains because they certainly don’t strap the ■■■■ things.

I won’t strap a curtain unless there is something obvious that needs strapped.

Now as many of you know, I am a ■■■■■■■. But if you have several big squares on the ground that are very close together in a confined space, they will not move that much.

Roll the thing over and frankly, thats the least of your problems.

stagedriver:
Someone better tell ASDA and every other major haulier that uses curtains because they certainly don’t strap the ■■■■ things.

In my experience most supermarkets strap their cages in curtains about every three rows or so across. Not securley to the floor etc. There is a get out clause for them though and i’d be suprised if they havn’t taken advantage of it already. This requirement for the way things are strapped gets a walkover if the company has done a comprehensive risk assesment.

Looking at the pic of the Stobarts lorry on it’s side made me wonder if the load had been roped and sheeted would it still be on the trailer? I think so… and if they had been roped up on that trailer they might still be on it. Just a thought

COOKiEEES!!:
internal straps on curtainsiders are next to useless. If the body were to roll over in an accident, then I seriously doubt that those dingy little things (hanging from a beam on the roof by a single o-ring) are gonna hold a darned thing in. Probably not even a pallet of toilet paper or crisps. I’d be quite inclined to agree that in a lot of cases it’s a stealth tax.

If a pallet does look like it’ll need strapping then I’ll be quick to put a proper ratchet ■■■■■■■■ it to hold it down, but as for taking the time to strap all the pallets on a curtainsider with those hanging straps… meh :angry:

As far as I know, the only reason for the internal straps is, if you open the curtain, stuff shouldn’t fall on your head

As I’ve mentioned in the other threads that are similar to this, I don’t see how it works in places such as pallet hubs etc.

I do a trailer swap where I drop an empty trailer and pick up a loaded 1.
It’s got to a point where I’ve got all my internal straps in the headboard, due to them being run over, crushed, having pallets put on them and once the full set of straps ripped from the roof after they’d got caught up on the fork lift.
The fork lift drivers don’t give a ■■■■, so, after the expense of having them repaired / replaced for the 5th time, they’re put in the headboard before I drop the empty trailer.
Once the trailer is loaded, I can’t get to them.
I carry normal throw over straps, so I know what you’re thinking, open the curtains, throw straps over, fasten curtains, job done.
BUT, I’d say a good 9 out of 10 times of opening the curtains at the depot, something falls out, so if I did this at the customers base, a) I’m on my own trying to sort it out and b) it doesn’t look great.

Anyway, 1 day, I could see the loading quality as soon as I pulled truck off the bay - straight forward, no turning and approx 2mph (new merc creep mode) approx 6 feet.
Remember, this is the very back of a trailer that’s been loaded and not been anywhere, so the fork lift driver would see this as they load the last pallet and pull out…

The loads I carry are palletised, 50 boxes (5 layers of 10), each box has holes and pegs top and bottom, they lock together similiar to lego bricks, at the top is a plastic tray with straps that lock onto the pallet. A box might weight a kilo or as much as 25 kg. Sounds secure enough you would think, but we still have drivers heading out with no other load restraint methods and pallets have collapsed, and boxes lost through the side when the curtains have got ripped.

Other loads are on plastic pallets, around 400-650kg per pallet, polywrapped magazine supplements mostly and shrinkwrapped to the pallets, in the last month two unsecured loads have been shipped onto the road at roundabouts, (been quite a number over the years plus collapsed pallets falling out when curtains are opened), each vehicle has a supply or ratchet straps and in most cases internal straps as well but most of our lot don’t see the need to use them! Their choice, their licence, their job, maybe even their life or that of someone else on the road.

I’m happy to strap loads and have done for years, five or ten minutes with a few ratchets has to be way better than knowing someone has been injured or killed for the sake of saving enough time for a quick ■■■ in the smoke shelter.

Foxstein:
Looking at the pic of the Stobarts lorry on it’s side made me wonder if the load had been roped and sheeted would it still be on the trailer? I think so… and if they had been roped up on that trailer they might still be on it. Just a thought

If the load had been secured with straps, it might not have even rolled over, the roll over could have been CAUSED by an un secured load.