DODGY LOADS

nah mate, if you look closley there are chains and sylvesters front and back straps are just to secure the floppy bits…

Lawrence Dunbar,
Hello Larry,
The Smiles ERF is a long way from when she started life Bedfordshire, any idea who had her new ?
Regards, Allan

m.a.n rules:
nah mate, if you look closley there are chains and sylvesters front and back straps are just to secure the floppy bits…

Took a few rewinds but I eventually saw the chains. I prefer to cross chain each axle to the centre.
I’m surprised that the straps over the back are not anchored to the AEC. The AEC will move on its springs, so tying off on the low loader will ensure looseness at various points and possible damage. I cannot work out why the front wheels are strapped.
I assume a Sylvester is what we call a dog?

overcentre dog.jpeg
The best and most efficient dog for general transport use, pretty much universally banned by health and safety goons.

turnbuckle dog .jpeg
The latest and greatest, except it’s slower and less efficient than an overcentre dog.

Mrsteel:
Lawrence Dunbar,
Hello Larry,
The Smiles ERF is a long way from when she started life Bedfordshire, any idea who had her new ?
Regards, Allan

Hi Allan, It was owned by a Brick Co, I cant remember their name, But theres a photo of it when it was brand new on this thread somewhere IIRC, Larry.

Star down under.:

m.a.n rules:

Took a few rewinds but I eventually saw the chains. I prefer to cross chain each axle to the centre.
I’m surprised that the straps over the back are not anchored to the AEC. The AEC will move on its springs, so tying off on the low loader will ensure looseness at various points and possible damage. I cannot work out why the front wheels are strapped.
The best and most efficient dog for general transport use, pretty much universally banned by health and safety goons.
The latest and greatest, except it’s slower and less efficient than an overcentre dog.

Dogs are quicker to use than the ratchet turnbuckle types. For the first bite at least. If timber etc settles the turnbuckles are easier to take up a bit.
Dogs need releasing to take another link up.
Although Ive used them on many occasions, and never knocked out my teeth nor killed myself, I wouldnt call them “safe”. Better off forgotten.

Franglais:

Star down under.:

m.a.n rules:

Dogs are quicker to use than the ratchet turnbuckle types. For the first bite at least. If timber etc settles the turnbuckles are easier to take up a bit.
Dogs need releasing to take another link up.
Although Ive used them on many occasions, and never knocked out my teeth nor killed myself, I wouldnt call them “safe”. Better off forgotten.

If you’ve got a flexible or springy load you can dog over dog, til it’s tight, you can’t do that with a turnbucle type.
Crossing the road is dangerous, if you’re not careful.

i think sylvester was the make, up here also known as twangs, stretchers some unprintable names when they sprung back with a six foot tube slid over the handle and launched skywards… :laughing: :open_mouth:

56D9625B-C397-446F-B146-BE527AF332A2.jpeg
F49AFF72-F0E3-4E90-A88F-A43558B3E059.jpeg
Saw this motor about a few yrs back a bit of dodgy operator :laughing:

seriously dan i can’t see anything dodgy about any of those loads except for the rolls one maybe exceeding the 2 meter overhang… :wink:

How many on here have transported something before that you were relieved to get offloaded? I know I have, driving for Allen’s was all heavy engineering products, some things were nice and easy like boxes for the docks or container bases but others were a nightmare, I always carried timber, nails and a large hammer and often had to make some form of cradle etc, I once picked up a large pump from a remote part of Lincolnshire which was coming back into the factory for refurbishment, absolute nightmare, sat on a horseshoe base and most of the 10 tons was at the top, still remember that vividly, probably the most nervous I’ve ever been, never had anything fall off but as previously stated a few I was glad to see the back of.

Easy as you go.
Oily

1905 in New Zealand.
Oily

Unusual NZ Dunedin 1905 PD 15238928141_6e9d56e112_o.jpg

Honduras and sofa so good.
Oily

Unusual Sam Leppanen cc by 2.0 Honduras 4148447877_f8b18a6e5c_o.jpg

oiltreader:
1905 in New Zealand.
Oily

It’s Un Zud, that’ll be 2005. :wink:

Hi all, when I worked for Horace on STS I did a 60ft yacht mast to Marsailles on the roof of a 40ft tilt 10ft out the back and front that was a pain in the Arse job. :sunglasses:

Buzzzer

Strictly speaking , this won’t qualify for this particular thread precisely , but who cares . It brought a smile to my face anyway . And that much takes some doing of late .

9690FE1B-42FA-4AEF-A4D9-9B701A8DC558.jpeg

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, when I worked for Horace on STS I did a 60ft yacht mast to Marsailles on the roof of a 40ft tilt 10ft out the back and front that was a pain in the Arse job. :sunglasses:

I fully understand "gerbil sb152, your experience reminded me of something i did on a trip when the brains fell out lol Bare with me this will take a while to explain.

I had off loaded in Darwin and my boss in Perth said there are 4 risers there to come to Perth if you can fit them now Risers are used in the off shore drilling and allow the the drilling to continue regardless of the tidal movements, the problem for me was they are 50feet in length and about a meter wide.I couldn’t double them up with out scolloped bolsters as the outside surface was quite fragile.
The problem I had were my trailers were 41 feet 6inchs long I couldn’t load for a couple of days so that gave me time to work a plan and it was this.
Load 2 on the lead on the deck siting on several old truck tyres overhanging the front of the trailer by 2 feet this allowed me to turn the truck with no problem that meant 7 feet overhang at the rear, as my dolly had a 10feet A frame I could over hang the rear of the trailer and still turn the second trailer ok, I then visited a few transport yards and acquired a number of old but sound pallets enough to build the floor up enough front rear and middle of the second [rear] trailer some more tyres and a bit more overhang on the front which made me legaliseh with the rear overhang.I had an excellent crane operator and rigger and the loading went without a hitche it was in the wet and we just got finished before the rain arrived again for the rest of the day so i retired for a few hours before leaving in the early hours that night.
Daylight saw me through Katherine and well on my way to the WA border then onto Kununurra by late afternoon , a slight hiccup I was stopped by a patrol car just short of the diversion dam and we had a chat then he said “as you have come from Darwin with no problems he said keep going I.m sure there is something wrong here but I don’t know what” so away I went arriving at the road train break up area northern end of Perth a couple of days later. :smiley: :smiley:

Foot note not something I would do again in todays world of rules and regulations :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but it was a very tidy cheque that went in the bank .

Dig

Unknown.jpeg

Pulled over for being stupid, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Pulled over for being stupid, Buzzer

Shouldn’t’ve parked on double yellow lines then, should he.