DODGE COMMANDO

This one still earns its life in Russia.

JAKEY:
Great looking Dodges Bewick , did they serve you well? , also Hardy44 yes I do recall our old t reg Dodge having the fluid filler under a flap on the dash .looks like it could of been a messy job .

The 13 tonner was the only one that did any real work,and that wasn’t a lot ! but they were all reliable and nice to drive during the time we had them.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

JAKEY:
Great looking Dodges Bewick , did they serve you well? , also Hardy44 yes I do recall our old t reg Dodge having the fluid filler under a flap on the dash .looks like it could of been a messy job .

The 13 tonner was the only one that did any real work,and that wasn’t a lot ! but they were all reliable and nice to drive during the time we had them.Cheers Bewick.

whatv about the steering ,we had one as firetruck here and i,ll had to drive it ,powersteering did it avful to drive ,the engine was VALMET 6litre in finland and ZF 6 speed, all controlls was wrong way even whit lhd(not pedals :smiley: )
cheers benkku

bma.finland:

Bewick:

JAKEY:

whatv about the steering ,we had one as firetruck here and i,ll had to drive it ,powersteering did it avful to drive ,the engine was VALMET 6litre in finland and ZF 6 speed, all controlls was wrong way even whit lhd(not pedals :smiley: )
cheers benkku

I drove a few in the 1980’s and they were good on the day, reliable, comfortable, simple, economical etc… but then the Merc 814 started to creep in and that really brought mid range trucks closer to car like comfort…once you tried one, you never wanted to go back. The Ford Cargo, the Merc 814, The Leyland Daf 45 series and in Ireland, the Mitsubishi ■■ series really took over that market segment.

Hi ,Shakeysteve posted some pics to me to put on the forum,heres a Dodge for this thread,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hey, here we had some 100 series and they were reliable all round and confy for their time. Had reliable Perkins engines some 6 tonners drove 8 tons without troubles for years, only the brakes were week at this overloading. Some did nearly 500.000km,but the 10 tonners with turbo Perkins gave troubles.The only thing we had was the fuel pomp head let dropping fuel in the engine,but was fast fixed. They sold well because they were very cheap and had service at each corner.But all disapeared quickly like all the British ,and the midrange competition always fast updated,powered and gave more confy and so they lost ground and disappeared in Renault.
Cheers Eric,

A Dodge Commando tractor unit with a step-frame semi-trailer, on show
at Hethersgill Rally , Carlisle. Judging by the Perkins Scroll below the windscreen, a Perkins engine
must be the power supply.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

love seeing the commando photos .

I can still remember sweating buckets on the twin passenger seat in summer, they weren’t too bad to sleep across as a kid though.

Yes I have slept across the seats of a Commando , not done me no harm “yet” :smiley:

hi there old 67.the pic of rippondens dodge brought back memories,i remember a driver of theres i think his name was bert,he used to do the east lancs and blackburn area daily.is he still about.what happened to ripponden have they finished altogether.regards,jack preston. :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

JAKEY:
Yes I have slept across the seats of a Commando , not done me no harm “yet” :smiley:

used to work for c j sharman from walsall he had all day cab commandos,you had to put it into reverse gear at night so you could put the other half of the bunk down,so there was no engine running at night and no night heater :frowning:

A couple of Commando tippers

Steve

shirtbox2003:
hi there old 67.the pic of rippondens dodge brought back memories,i remember a driver of theres i think his name was bert,he used to do the east lancs and blackburn area daily.is he still about.what happened to ripponden have they finished altogether.regards,jack preston. :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Hi Jack. we had about 35 drivers go over to the Red Rose side of the Pennines every day .You are most likely thinking of Norman Bottomley,he worked at Ripponden for over 50 years and spent almost all of that time on the Blackburn run,every day for about 40 years.He sadly passed away a few years back.
I knew Norman very well as I worked them for 33years up to 1997.He was a real " old school driver"and I could tell countless tales about his exploits !!.
Ripponden finally closed down in 2007,but to me and many others " Ripponden & Distict Motors " ended with the passing of John Hirst,the owner,and the subsequent sale of the firm in the mid 80s.
I only have one photo of one of Normans lorries,fleet No 93,which he got new in 1966
It is nice to know other people remember "DIP IT IN & RISK IT MOTORS " !!!
Regards…John

Open air version

Steve

The blue colour is familiar, was it Peter Bryants ? He had one that didn’t last long involved in a narrow lane collision wrote the lorry off,it was its first day out apparently.The fleet was mainly F 86,F7, F6 Volvos but a few others crept in.

hi old 67 ,souds like the same guy,sorry to read about his passing.i was an apprentice fitter at chaseside the loading shovel makers in blackburn in the 1960s and being a lad had to take the parcels out from the stores to him.what finally caused ripponden to cease trading,so sad. regards.jack preston. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

lifesadrag:
The blue colour is familiar, was it Peter Bryants ? He had one that didn’t last long involved in a narrow lane collision wrote the lorry off,it was its first day out apparently.The fleet was mainly F 86,F7, F6 Volvos but a few others crept in.

It was owned by a company called C & R Services Twyford near Reading.

Steve