Documents & equipment required for international journey

Not really applicable to UK based guys, as they will, by default , be carrying their passports, but for us based over here in Germany.
A valid passport or identity card must now be carried at all times to provide police with proof of identity if stopped whilst driving a truck in Germany.
This is to combat the black economy in the transport sector.
Previously, a Sozialversicherungsnachweis (social insurance statement) would suffice.

@inseltaffe, sorry mate but this is not new,you have all ways
had to carry your passport with you as a non german ,along with
your Aufenthaltsgenehmigung (residence-permit); the social-
versicherungs karte is also to be carried when working,fines for not haveing this with you were around €90 last time we had this question on the german site.

The other point for all those who are resideing in germany as
gastarbeiter , you have to have a PASSPORT that is in date,
other wise you can find yourself in deep trouble, i

robB39:
Hazardous goods require a DGN (Dangerous Goods Note) for shipping/rail company. If you are carrying flammable it must have the flash point on also.

You also need your information in writing (TREM card) you must have copies in the language of the driver and the language of every country you are transiting.

When transiting Belgium you will need one copy French and one copy in Dutch.

You will need to place hazard warning stickers (diamonds) on trailer for shipping.

You can carry your own or the shipping company will supply them; for a fee.

I’m editing to add. ADR Europe requires that you have two flashing beacons for front and rear of vehicle, and they must work. Take appropriate batteries but do not put in lamp until needed that way they will stay fresh.

Roof mounted amber beacons are also required for Austria, details of which can be found by using this link: http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/publi/adr/1.9/Austria2005e.pdf

dieseldave:
IF you’re carrying Limited Quantities (LQs) you don’t need any extinguishers.

I have to note, as it’s international thread:
In Poland all vehicles (including cars) should carry fire extinguishers. And it has to be before it “use before” date. And it has to have european homologation (whatever that means).

Now:

• IMHO it’s stupid, but they don’t want to listen to me :grimacing: .
  • From the other hand, there is some law that your vehicle must have be up to specifications of country of registration. So some people claim that it’s not required when you drive foreign plated car
  • But it’s some grey area and common practice of Police is to issue a ticket. For lack of fire extinguisher it can be between 50 and 200 zÅ‚ (~10 to 40 pounds). The problem is that if you are a foreigner you have to pay on the spot and if you don’t have polish money, police car will ■■■■■■ you to the bank or money-exchange place, which is a huge waste of time (or, more propably, you will have to park up your lorry and they’ll drive you there in the police car). Then if you don’t agree you can fight you money back in court. So as you can buy a fire extinguisher for few quids, that may be worth to do as it may save a lot of hassle.

So just to let you know, as not too much people is aware of that.

Btw: Also in Poland there is mandatory first aid kit if the car is carrying people for hire or reward (so Taxis, small vans, buses etc.) and correction stickers on the headlamps for RHD cars are also mandatory.

And it’s illegal to carry the radar-warning device in “ready to use” state.

Ive recently been told by another driver that a friend of his got stopped by the red caps and was hit with a fine for 4000euros as he had a copy of the european authorisation. Whether this is urban myth or not i dont know, but if its true, its a absolute disgrace, once again shows that the rad caps are a law unto themselves. (it was a genuine copy of the authorisation not a photocopy) Any 1 else had a problem similar?

@ Andy164 you must have the ORIGINAL permit and no copy
the same goes for all your documents that you require with you.

andy164:
Ive recently been told by another driver that a friend of his got stopped by the red caps and was hit with a fine for 4000euros as he had a copy of the european authorisation. Whether this is urban myth or not i dont know, but if its true, its a absolute disgrace, once again shows that the rad caps are a law unto themselves. (it was a genuine copy of the authorisation not a photocopy) Any 1 else had a problem similar?

It does smack of urban myth to me and I have heard it before although it was about the French and not the Spanish, and it was €1000 fine when I heard it.

If it is true that fine was wrong and it should be appealed. If he had the original with him he could have been fined as that one must stay in the office and an certified copy carried on the vehicle. I guy I used to work with received a big fine in Germany for having the original with him instead of a copy, he was also fined and parked up in France a couple of months later for having an out of date copy. He had gone home after being fined in Germany and swapped the original for an old one without noticing. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

brit pete:
@ Andy164 you must have the ORIGINAL permit and no copy
the same goes for all your documents that you require with you.

Not true Pete. You must carry a certified copy of the permit and not the original, the original must remain in the office. Note. An certified copy is not a photocopy but one of the copies which comes with the permit when it is issued.

thanx for the Brit Pete & Coffeeholic, i suspect that fine that i was told (4000 euros) was a little white lie, ya know how some drivers like nothing more than stretching the truth.

level of fines is not urban myth.

I was recently stopped at Irun by redcaps and fined € 4600 for the certified copy of authorisation being laminated.

The fine was the minimum for not having Community Authorisation. Maximum fine is apparently 6000.

I am going through the appeal process.

I wonder if the Basque police wondered why the CE authorisation was laminated and if it was a crude attempt at forgery, an inkjet printer, a pack of blue pastel paper from Staples and a PC.

Maybe they should be embossed like an old MOT certificate used to be.

Not suggesting this was the case this time you understand

Authorisation , a genuine Certified Copy,was laminated when it was issued 7 years ago for protection.

It has been inspected many times by authorities all over Europe, including Spain , never any problems or questions until last month’s incident at Irun.

The Spanish, IMHO, are simply on a revenue raising exercise, imposing massive fines for seemingly trivial offences.

Apparently the fine for having a copy of an authorisation in Germany is less than € 500

In my experience the CE authorisation didnt last for 7 years and we were issued with several new discs and new authorisations over that time, even after continuous operator licensing began in 1996.

But hey, It must have been different for our company.

There’s a new Attestation form, from the middle of December 09, which has a tick box for rest or leave.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 081:EN:PDF

This link has the act of the European Commission on the first page and an attestation form on the second.
Thanks to delboytwo for passing this info on. :sunglasses:

Having read the link, I think there’s going to be a run on second-hand typewriters. :sunglasses:

Get your orders in quick before the prices go up. :grimacing:

david1686:
Authorisation , a genuine Certified Copy,was laminated when it was issued 7 years ago for protection.

It has been inspected many times by authorities all over Europe, including Spain , never any problems or questions until last month’s incident at Irun.

The Spanish, IMHO, are simply on a revenue raising exercise, imposing massive fines for seemingly trivial offences.

Not really trivial, it seems the fine will have been for not having an authorisation as they only last a maximum of 5 years

david1686:
Apparently the fine for having a copy of an authorisation in Germany is less than € 500

You’ve got that arse about face, you would be fined for not having a copy and instead carrying the original.

having to carry all that we will all probably be over wieght before we start :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
DOCUMENTS FOR VEHICLE & DRIVER

Certified copy of the Community Authorisation. NOT the original copy which must stay in the office.

Being thick, what is this and where can I get copy to get certified? :blush:

woodlands:

Coffeeholic:
DOCUMENTS FOR VEHICLE & DRIVER

Certified copy of the Community Authorisation. NOT the original copy which must stay in the office.

Being thick, what is this and where can I get copy to get certified? :blush:

Hi woodlands, you’re not thick mate, cos it’s a perfectly good question.

AFAIK, the vehicle operator keeps the original of the Community Authorisation at base, and each vehicle driver is given a certified copy.

If you’re an employed driver, the obtaining of certified copies is the boss’ responsibility.
Sufficient certified copies covering the number of vehicles authorised on the International ‘O’ licence are sent to him at the time that the ‘O’ licence is issued. Of course, the boss should inform the TC if there are changes to the fleet so that the records can be kept up-to-date and new (original) certified copies issued as neccessary.

Having the European authorisation laminated is apparently not tolerated in Germany. I know a couple of drivers who were fined last year for this. Seems to me like the common sense thing to do for the longevity of the original document but there you go! On another note I recently heard about the need for an E101 certificate or card. Something which is issued by the dept for work & pensions to prove that the driver is paying national insurance contributions in his own member state of the EU.