Do you use your Fog lights?

Maybe the problem is, those softy southerners have never actually seen real fog and thus assume the morning dew is what them up’t north talks about, thus it must be time to press that special button and blind everyone…? :wink:

Think the only time I’ve really used them regularly was driving over Shap fell (A6 not M6 one) during Winter in my previous incarnation, but then some days you’d be down to 5 - 10mph and thats knowing the road layout intimately. 100m visibility, more like 1 meter if you’re lucky. Beyond that, not tested them in years (on the car).

I’m also sure certain makes of car including the ones with short names beginning with an A and B have a “I look cool” option which turns on the front fog lights, widens the tyres, changes the normal lights to an illegal blue shade and plays pumping drum n’ base out the oversided stereo while the car self-drives at 10mph round town.

I hate the ‘drivers’ who put the fog lights on when it’s raining or because it’s dark - IT’S NOT ■■■■■■■ FOG!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the moment the fog starts.
I also switched them on in heavy rain or snow, and also when I’ve got some idiot tipper driver up my arse as well. :unamused:

And on another related note, who uses their handbrake in traffic? Most people will sit with their foot on the brake, without any consideration for the high intensity brake lights dazzling the poor chump behind. If I’ve stopped and the car behind has come to a stop also then I’ll have the courtesy to use the handbrake, there is no more need for brake lights in traffic.

Winseer:
I also switched them on in heavy rain or snow, and also when I’ve got some idiot tipper driver up my arse as well. :unamused:

Winni, your mrs has hijacked your TNUK account again…
:grimacing:

Twonk in front with rear fogs on ? Put head lights on full beam. Don’t get mad, get even. :slight_smile:

ORC:
And on another related note, who uses their handbrake in traffic? Most people will sit with their foot on the brake, without any consideration for the high intensity brake lights dazzling the poor chump behind. If I’ve stopped and the car behind has come to a stop also then I’ll have the courtesy to use the handbrake, there is no more need for brake lights in traffic.

Auto hold on mine so no need to keep my foot on the pedal :slight_smile:

peterm:
Twonk in front with rear fogs on ? Put head lights on full beam. Don’t get mad, get even. :slight_smile:

Quality, and you beat me to my next post “My Urge!” as I too have been tempted to return the compliment… :imp:

As if they think I might be struggling in anyway to see them from 50m behind, then SURELY :wink: it’s perfectly reasonable for me to put my high beam on to ENSURE they can see me! :grimacing:

But annoyingly you can’t do that, as it’s unfair on other traffic… :imp:

So trying my best to not let it bother me is really the only option. :frowning:
Although I’m pleased I haven’t yet got to the stage of assessing which side some bellends headlight is out! :open_mouth:

peterm:

Have done this before ( only if nothing coming the other way ) some realise some idiots just stop on hard shoulder & look bewildered

You get the idiots that put there fog lights on but don’t know how to take there foot off the accelerator

Fog lights on if visibility is less than 50 meters & slow down to a sensible speed

Like most folk on here I only use them in bad visibility but turn them off when I can see that there is a following vehicle close enough to see me or at traffic signals etc, however I wonder how you stand from a legal point of view if for instance a police vehicle travelling behind you thinks that you should have them on anyway? Is it a ‘law’ that just relies on the judgement of individuals or is there something set in stone about their useage, I haven’t a Highway Code to hand and don’t want to look it up on google incase Carryfast needs to use it?

Pete.

Rule 226. You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236)

Cant post the link as phpne wont copy it, but thats from highway code.

el_presidente:

Winseer:

Winni, your mrs has hijacked your TNUK account again…
:grimacing:

What’s alarming there, is that I’ve never driven a tipper myself. :open_mouth:

mike68:
Its very simple, when visibility is below 100 meters (328 feet) you can use front (if fitted) and rear fog lights.

About as simple as it gets, they’re not driving lights they’re not day time running lights, the word FOG gives the game away unless you are a member of club plant pot then any disscussion on the subject will be completely lost on you.

Yeah very simple but the average muppet driver has no idea of 100 meters or 328 feet. They have fog lamps so the least bit of fog and they are on. :unamused:

el_presidente:
I carry a truck mounted forklift most of the time. The lights on that seem ok to me but I’ve been amazed at all the numpties who still fail to see the big round amber flashing thing which gives an idea of which direction I’m turning.

So I tend to put my rear fogs on a lot earlier than I normally would otherwise. The moffett makes a great bumper, but I’d rather not have to attend a coroners inquest because some muppet can’t use their eyes!

Silly boy. That’s the problem with drivers.They make up their own rules.

ORC:

Bugs me too. I wish the brake lights were designed to turn off once the vehicle comes to a standstill. Can’t be that hard to program them like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:
Bugs me too. I wish the brake lights were designed to turn off once the vehicle comes to a standstill. Can’t be that hard to program them like this.

Not always desirable though - if I’m at the back of the queue I’ll keep the footbrake applied (as well as the handbrake) for as long as is necessary for the next following vehicle to pull to a standstill behind me, then I’ll release it to switch off the high intensity brake lights.

I guess one day, when vehicles are all talking to each other electronically and wirelessly, they can agree amongst themselves which is the one at the back and that is the only one needing brake lights on. Until then we must rely on common sense and common courtesy. Unfortunately neither seems to be as common as it used to be.

My VW Golf has start/stop. It’s a DSG and I don’t really use the paddles much and basically drive it as an auto, so when I come to lights I keep my foot on the brake pedal after coming to a stop, and the engine cuts out and then restarts when I take my foot off it.

I assume the brake lights must be still on, and being an ‘R’ model it has LED rear lights so it’s probably a real retina burner.

But it saves me money on fuel, so wear your sunglasses when you are behind me ORC :wink: If I keep the brake pedal down and put it into ‘P’, the engine stays off and I can release the brake pedal. But I still have to then put my foot on the brake when I put it back in ‘D’ so it doesn’t really help anyone behind!