Do you enjoy the job?

the enjoyment of the driving aspect of the job never fades assuming im driving the grunter of my choice.
99% of everything related to the industry nowadays totally ■■■■■,moreso with every passing day.

Do I enjoy it? Yes
My last job was minimum wage shelf stacking, working my fingers to the bone on nights. I’ve been driving for nearly 3 months now (yes I am inexperienced) and it is so much less stressful driving. I would finish each 10hr shift and literally collapse. When I opened my pay packet I was earning peanuts.
Now I may do 12hrs (sometimes :sunglasses: but when I finish I’m not physically shattered to the point of exhaustion, I’m home after every shift. I go somewhere different every night and I’m earning more than double what I used to earn.

That said, ask me the same question in a year or two and the shine might have wore off. But until then I think this job is a bit of all right [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

toonsy:
Gotta say I’m still waiting for that time where I find going to work a drag. Sure I have bad days but on the whole after near 20 years driving various vehicles professionally all over the UK and Europe I have to say yes I still enjoy the job.

What about you lot?

I do find it a drag quite often and do agency so when they ask if I’m available I say no if I don’t want to which helps. It isn’t the driving of the trucks or the company I work for but Highways Agency and how much they close on a night coupled with the fact that their online list of road closures is about as reliable as a smack head. On the nights my job isn’t shafted by road closures I still enjoy it and going over the A66 on a summer evening is still to me one of the best things I do, especially the view from Stainmore heading westbound but if I’d rather be doing something else on a nice sunny day than being in a truck I can.

That said, when everything’s going well and that nice summer breeze is coming through the cab window, there’s some good tunes on the radio and I’m running through some particularly nice scenic part of this nation I still often find myself thinking I can’t believe I get paid for doing that.

Gotta say I enjoy driving, don’t care what it is, as long as I’m not stuck indoors or stuck in the yard like a supervisors ■■■■■.
The job I do now, although not glamorous, I get left alone to do the job, not pressured, not moaned at if the work is not completed (as long as I’ve made an effort to try and complete), and I’m home every day to send time with my wife and kids.
I do miss the long distance stuff, especially the Scotland and Wales trips (scenery is lovely in those parts) but at least I’m not stuck in some manky RDC sitting a plastic chair waiting for an apocalypse to come and take me away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over 50 years under my belt for me…still enjoy the job, but at my age ( 72 ) its under my terms…just renewed my licence too…only took em 6 months, but had no doubts it would be returned.

Enjoy being a strong word for me, I enjoy being at home or down the pub… but as many have said, the difference between my pre driving days where I’d start to get mildly depressed about 3pm on a Sunday thinking about going back in to work Monday, now it doesn’t phase me im neither happy or sad to be back behind the wheel.

I feel if and when I become a proper driver and get class 1 , I might be closer to saying I enjoy the job… the lack of cab space my only problem with my current company. Our Bendys I could easily live in for a week.

There are elements I enjoy. I especially enjoy the type of night run where I use a lot of A roads. They’re generally very quiet and I enjoy the late night solitude.

Enjoying the job for me me is having the correct mindset.

I still enjoy what I do after 29, I get long shifts if I want or short shifts when I need them.

The management have the ability to closely monitor everyone those who get on with it are left alone the imbeciles are not.

If you turn up with a negative mindset and constantly complain about being “stitched up” your life is going to be miserable and rightly so.

The only downside is its own account, which tends to attract the most dirty idle and incompetent people in the industry the upside of this is it requires minimum effort to be held in high regard, and anyway I turned 50 this year and its way to late to start working for a living.

The trouble is now most jobs are boring or you are treated like the proverbial. Had a good spell with a good old fashioned team and enjoyed it. Big company took over - hated it. Now drifting between companies self employed and haven’t found one that would light my fire.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Generally I enjoy my work, it has it’s pros and cons like a decent shift pattern good money and usually just left alone to get on with things. A lot of BS with hazmat tanker work plus the winter can be a downer though. Currently sat outside a tire shop in Winnipeg with a flat, waiting for the fitter to drag himself out of bed, my day could be screwed, oh well always tomorrow.

I did when I first started doing it in 1980, I used to turn up get my job or job’s, go and do them, come back, Diesel up, go Home you used to do the daily checks automatically as it was common sense to do them, it was about 1990 things started to change, more and more red tape and ■■■■■■■■ crept in, instead of ex drivers being in charge you got the university half-wit’s who were NEVER wrong.

And then instead of driving out of the gate after a 10 minute walk around check sheets with 30/40 tick boxes (NISA Scunthorpe) started to appear, timed deliveries became more and more common, being treated like crap became the norm, then you had to have a card for this and a card for that, and they changed the Tacho regs and the 48 working week crap with POA rubbish.

And then the icing on the ■■■■■■ cake the C.P.C card which is a nonsense by any standards, and all this for less than £10 per hour in many cases, along with the Parasitical agency’s staffed by people who think the fifth wheel is the spare in your car boot and who lie through their back teeth as a matter of course, and having to do assesments for jobs with an accident and points free driving record usually taken by the depot bum kisser.

By the time I went through ill health at 61 (I am 65 in November) I was only working what I had to to pay my rent and a few bills, which as my wife had a very good pension + oap, and I had a small pension was usually Sat/Sun, I was also developing a very bad attitude and would not be ■■■■■■ around which wasn’t making me any friends, for instance I went to Panasonic at Bedwas in wales to fill a 40’ container for export after first tipping it, I got there and asked to use the toilets, and was told in no uncertain terms that drivers were not allowed to use the toilets, when I asked what I was supposed to do I was told that there were Toilets at the services on the M4, so I said OK and drove to the services and just kept going back to the depot, which caused a mini riot, I also refused point blank to split pallets for anyone.

I was glad to finish.

I think, and hope, things are starting to get a bit better for you who remain, wages look to be on the up, I look for good jobs and post them hoping somebody will get a good one, you still get a bad and biased press, but that might change in the future.

Blunder Man:
I was told that there were Toilets at the services on the M4, so I said OK and drove to the services and just kept going back to the depot, which caused a mini riot,

YES!!! You took one for the team… nice one :laughing:

ezydriver:

Blunder Man:
I was told that there were Toilets at the services on the M4, so I said OK and drove to the services and just kept going back to the depot, which caused a mini riot,

YES!!! You took one for the team… nice one [emoji38]

I doth my cap sir [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Yes. Loved it when I first started, loved it after 5 years when most said I wouldn’t and I love it now 20 years later when even more people reckoned id hate it.

As long as you have some interest in the job and find the type of work that suits you you shouldn’t end up hating the job.

As mentioned many times in this thread being given the work and then leaving you alone is what it’s about, no tracker on my unit, no start times as I decide based on collection/delivery/ferry times when I should leave the yard.

Where I work they only get involved if you phone in a problem and the rest of the time assume if you ain’t phoning things must be OK.

The people that only do it for the money will end up being depressed every morning.

mrginge:
As long as you have some interest in the job and find the type of work that suits you you shouldn’t end up hating the job.

As mentioned many times in this thread being given the work and then leaving you alone is what it’s about, no tracker on my unit, no start times as I decide based on collection/delivery/ferry times when I should leave the yard.

Where I work they only get involved if you phone in a problem and the rest of the time assume if you ain’t phoning things must be OK.

The people that only do it for the money will end up being depressed every morning.

That’s how it should be.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I enjoy my job but the pay is crap (£9.56) for the graft involved, also don’t enjoy being up at 3am tuesdays and wednesdays to do Edinburgh and Glasgow. Apart from that, its not all bad nice views out and about some cracking views in the town/city centre pubs soooo yeah not all bad.

Good days, Bad days. But mostly good.
I enjoy ■■■■■■■ about it sometimes, but mostly I wouldnt want to do another job.
Sunset over the Pillars Of Hercules. The low winter sun tinting the trees pink near Loch Long. High summer in Lisboa. Winter night climbing out of Aosta. Playing with gears up and down mountain passes, and cruising on a flat motorway. Really friendly people (and occasional ■■■■■■■■■■■ Where else can you get such variety?

I rackon there are some who love it and some who hate the job, but most are middle ground. Its just a job, somewhere to go between the weekends and if you was not doing this it would be something else. It pays the rent and food bills and thats it.