Discs and pads

Trickydick:
Slotted front and solids rear, which I reckon is weird as the rear must run botter as its hidden inside two wheels?
Also do sensors and pulse rings

Why would they run hotter?
Fronts are always under full pressure rears only operate on axle bag pressure.

Bking:

Trickydick:
Slotted front and solids rear, which I reckon is weird as the rear must run botter as its hidden inside two wheels?

The rear discs are located inside a wheel mounted exactly the same as a front wheel, so that won’t have any effect whatsoever.

My last experience with discs was in 2005 on IVECO Stralis 6x2 units, running at 44ton. I used to change front pads at least twice to every set of rears, the middle axle ones didn’t seem to wear at all. Trailers were all over the place, pad wear was consistent on all three axles, but corrosion and seized calipers were common.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I only buy trucks and trailers with disks.

Trailers because we get very little problems with them. When using trailers with drums we used to get 1.5 to 2 years out of a set of linings, 2 linings to a drum.
The latest disks are getting 4 years for a set of pads. Two sets of pads to a disk.
When doing an inspection with laden brake test we have very little problems unless it’s a chamber fault. Drum brakes we had to strip and lubricate everything twice a year to get them to pass a laden test.
But the trailers have to be inspected, not just drive by servicing. You can tell a lot about the braking system just by looking at the wearing surface of the disk, you can’t do that with a drum unless you take it off.

I wouldn’t recommend them for a trailer that is sat around unused for months at a time as the disks will corrode up.

coiler:
I only buy trucks and trailers with disks.

Trailers because we get very little problems with them. When using trailers with drums we used to get 1.5 to 2 years out of a set of linings, 2 linings to a drum.
The latest disks are getting 4 years for a set of pads. Two sets of pads to a disk.
When doing an inspection with laden brake test we have very little problems unless it’s a chamber fault. Drum brakes we had to strip and lubricate everything twice a year to get them to pass a laden test.
But the trailers have to be inspected, not just drive by servicing. You can tell a lot about the braking system just by looking at the wearing surface of the disk, you can’t do that with a drum unless you take it off.

I wouldn’t recommend them for a trailer that is sat around unused for months at a time as the disks will corrode up.

And the calipers will seize onto the guide pins
You must be running light baby as most disc faults are due to heat cracking.
Thats if they run to weight.

Bking:

norb:
If I ever remove a hub ,though it is not a job I get ,but when I did do hubs I always replace the sensor and exciter ring …Think its called preventative maintainance

Sounds more like a main agent screwing a customer
Why would you change a reluctor ring and sensor when you change a disc?
And how much do you charge for a ring and sensor 100 or 150 a pop ?
Wonder why nobody uses main agents no more?

I guess you dont have much to do with Dafs then?

Bking:

Trickydick:

Run hotter as all hidden inside the twin wheels, any mech could tell you that.
You can get some serious braking effort on a loaded drive axle
I should add its Daf who have said they want the different wedges fitted and Im only repeating what they have said, so maybe ask them?

newmercman:

Bking:

Trickydick:

The rear discs are located inside a wheel mounted exactly the same as a front wheel, so that won’t have any effect whatsoever.

My last experience with discs was in 2005 on IVECO Stralis 6x2 units, running at 44ton. I used to change front pads at least twice to every set of rears, the middle axle ones didn’t seem to wear at all. Trailers were all over the place, pad wear was consistent on all three axles, but corrosion and seized calipers were common.

6x2 Daf wasnt unusual to get a million from the middle axle pads, weirdly even though they did little work they rarely if ever gave issues!
Always a bugger on the annual test though

Trickydick:

Bking:

norb:
If I ever remove a hub ,though it is not a job I get ,but when I did do hubs I always replace the sensor and exciter ring …Think its called preventative maintainance

Since when did DAF make reluctor rings and ABS sensors ?

Trickydick:

Bking:

Trickydick:

I should add its Daf who have said they want the different wedges fitted and Im only repeating what they have said, so maybe ask them?

Is that why trailer discs crack even though they run on super singles ?
Maybe the big tyres hold the heat in as well.

Trickydick:

newmercman:

Bking:

Trickydick:

6x2 Daf wasnt unusual to get a million from the middle axle pads, weirdly even though they did little work they rarely if ever gave issues!
Always a bugger on the annual test though

Big problem we find on test is a lot of the ATF’s load trailers just don’t put enough load on the pin to get the mid to get full air pressure. Had two we used regularly that knew were ok but one’s changed the trailer to a box from a flat (after someone managed to unburden it of some of its concrete blocks) and now that’s test centre’s no good. Sliding the fifth wheel back all the way back helps but not necessarily enough often.

Bking:

Trickydick:

Bking:

Trickydick:

Because they’re too exposed to surface water it’s the sudden cooling down thermal shock load that causes it. Fitting mud shields like cars would possibly reduce it.

Bking:

Trickydick:

Bking:

norb:

Since when did DAF make reluctor rings and ABS sensors ?

So my assumption was correct, you dont have much to do with Dafs?

Bking:

Trickydick:

Bking:

Trickydick:

Different thing altogether as any mechanic would know

Because they’re too exposed to surface water it’s the sudden cooling down thermal shock load that causes it. Fitting mud shields like cars would possibly reduce it.
[/quote]
The Scanias have back plates and quench guards on their callipers, or at least the ones we have do.
The pads dont last as long as on the Dafs and the calliper guide pins and bushes wear as fast as buggery, on the plus side the calliper bushes dont sieze!
The quench guards are also an option on BPW trailer axles

Trickydick:

Bking:

Trickydick:

Run hotter because all hidden in side twin wheels?
Twice as much surface area to disperse the heat.
Two wheels to absorb the heat and a banjo axle?
And less brake pressure ?
And they run hotter? I dont think so.

They run hotter because they have twice the weight of wheels and tyres to stop.

Bking:

Trickydick:

Bking:

Trickydick:

Run hotter because all hidden in side twin wheels?
Twice as much surface area to disperse the heat.
Two wheels to absorb the heat and a banjo axle?
And less brake pressure ?
And they run hotter? I dont think so.

Im pretty sure we have extabilished what you think doesnt matter to anyone apart from you.
Did you bother to ask Daf as I mentioned above?

Whatever baby!
Just sick of arguing with muppets anymore!
■■■■■■■■ artists who cannot think an argument through.
Carry on just sick of trying.

Bking:
Whatever baby!
Just sick of arguing with muppets anymore!
[zb] artists who cannot think an argument through.
Carry on just sick of trying.

That sick of it, yet you still replied, do much facebook!