Digicard failure epidemic?

Winseer:
I would imagine such a replacement would have it’s charge waived by DVLA as a show of good faith for this monumental ■■■■-up!

There is no charge for replacing a faulty card, never has benn, so nothing to waive. The only thing that may be waived if all the cards need replacing is the driving on printouts for 15 days, that could be extended depending on the size of the problem and how swamped the DVLA digi card centre will be.

I had the error in a 09 MAN TGX

Scarab:
I had the error in a 09 MAN TGX

When dose your card expire?

Cards expiring this year were faulty in our 09/59/10/11 plate vehicles.

It seems its cards issued between 2007 and 2008. My question is Who is to blame for this debacle. Surely if we were pulled over by VOSA and we had a major problem, the book would be thrown at us

I was off on Saturday back last night, card not working (2012 expiry), I left it in the head all night and at the end of my shift I downloaded it and no data had been recorded.

Anyone know what chance I have of it working tonight. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Kerbdog:
It seems its cards issued between 2007 and 2008. My question is Who is to blame for this debacle. Surely if we were pulled over by VOSA and we had a major problem, the book would be thrown at us

Why? You are no more likely to get an infringement with a faulty card as you are with a working one. The regulations allow for driving when a card is faulty and you still do everything just as you normally do, apart from the need to take a printout at the start and end of the shift, and that won’t in its self cause infringements.

I’ve been off since Thursday but back tonight and my card has a expiry date of October this year. I’ll be in a 57 plate Scania tonight.

My question is, if my cards faulty when I put it in do I leave it in and drive with the error or do I take it out and drive with no card in?

I know I have to take a vehicle print out at the start and end of shift and sign and date the back.

Thanks

Coffeeholic:

Kerbdog:

Why? You are no more likely to get an infringement with a faulty card as you are with a working one. The regulations allow for driving when a card is faulty and you still do everything just as you normally do, apart from the need to take a printout at the start and end of the shift, and that won’t in its self cause infringements.

Dont think he means problems with driving with a dodgey card, think he means who is gonna be held accountable for this major problem with the cards and what course of punishment will follow

Got an invalid card message last night in a Merc, jumped in a DAF and card worked as normal. :open_mouth:

I have today received a ‘bulletin’ from the FTA who in turn were passing on a message from the DVLA

The DVLA have been alerted to a problem that appears to be card related but they do not know why.

Any driver experiencing this problem with a card (Error 48) - send it back to DVLA (company or driver card). If a driver, fill in form D777B and send that and the card. No fee required as it is faulty. The driver then needs to follow the normal practice for a faulty/missing card. VU Printout beginning and end of shift. Name, Driver Number and signature on the back. Treat as tacho’s, carry for 28 days then hand in etc. Operate the mode switch as normal throughout the shift. Any occurences that require a manual entry - do a VU print out and write on the back keeping that print out with the others.

The issue is not the digi-tachs themselves - its card related.

Couldn’t be simpler. Where does all this panick about VOSA and ‘getting done’ come from? When a card doesn’t work there is a defined procedure to follow.

Pete

why do people take their card out everyday?
mine stayed in for 6 months, apart from the times vosa took it out.
when i first read about digi cards, the dvla advised people not to keep taking them out, as they will go wrong.
it’s bound to go wrong if you wear it out.

This is now so widespread, that I cannot imagine VOSA throwing the book at anyone for falling foul of it.

If they DID, you might well find supermarket & other store drivers joining the tanker drivers on the picket line!

…There might be a silver lining to this yet! :smiley:

I’ve always believed that with 100% solidarity, any industrial action would be 100% effective within days. I’ve already posted on a different subject with regards to the 2 weeks or less I reckon it would take to this country to completely stop should all truckers not only go on strike but also make sure no one can break pickets either…

I guess I’m sounding quite militant, but I never had a problem with taking effective (rather than pis-in-the-win) industrial action at any time in my life. :wink:

It can’t be a coincidence that union power collapsed just as striking workers began to be treated like terroists like during the miner’s strike. It’s about time all that suppression came back to bite the government in the arse! :grimacing:

damion.p:

Coffeeholic:

Kerbdog:

Dont think he means problems with driving with a dodgey card, think he means who is gonna be held accountable for this major problem with the cards and what course of punishment will follow

What Damion.p said right there !!! :smiley:

If the card works in one vehicle, and not another - it cannot be the card at fault, so replacing it is a waste of time.

I reckon it is the software for processing the card that is printed onto the chips in the on-board devices that has been bug-ridden by not being able to handle a +1 to GMT in the same year as a 29th February. The Chronometer has become corrupted, therefore the checksum fails, which in turn causes all cards inserted into that device of a certain date to be treated as “corrupted cards” when they are not.

Can anyone get their non-2012 expiry card to work in the same tractor for a matter of interest? :question:

The way different firms are dealing with this is interesting to watch as well… Can anyone shed any light on the rumour that DHL are diverting their work outside the firm because they’ll not let their drivers out on the road without a valid tacho? What about other large fleet operators like Nobbys, Royal Mail, or even Stobarts? :exclamation: How are THEY dealing with all this at an official level? :open_mouth:

stuck mine in a 61 plate cargo 7.5 ton sunday and came up card not valid, expiry on mine is 2013. tried it later in another 61 plate cargo came up driving without card first time I’d used mine so just thought it was my card

Winseer:
If the card works in one vehicle, and not another - it cannot be the card at fault, so replacing it is a waste of time.

I reckon it is the software for processing the card that is printed onto the chips in the on-board devices that has been bug-ridden by not being able to handle a +1 to GMT in the same year as a 29th February. The Chronometer has become corrupted, therefore the checksum fails, which in turn causes all cards inserted into that device of a certain date to be treated as “corrupted cards” when they are not.

Can anyone get their non-2012 expiry card to work in the same tractor for a matter of interest? :question:

The way different firms are dealing with this is interesting to watch as well… Can anyone shed any light on the rumour that DHL are diverting their work outside the firm because they’ll not let their drivers out on the road without a valid tacho? What about other large fleet operators like Nobbys, Royal Mail, or even Stobarts? :exclamation: How are THEY dealing with all this at an official level? :open_mouth:

Asda said to do a manual tacho. One guy today reset the local time to BST and his card was ‘invalid’, he then turned the ignition off and on and then the card was accepted, however, I do know this never worked for others ! My brand new card and another guys 6 weeks old haven’t had any problems whatsoever !

Wouldn’t you think VOSA would put something on their website, they must be being beseiged by phone calls. Useless.

Put mine in yesterday morning at 0500 and got the code 48 and the head spat the card out :smiling_imp:
Put it back in and all is fine now, unlike 95% of our drivers :blush:
Do you think it’s the paper makers trying to make a fast buck :wink:
All our cards expire in 2013 so there shouldn’t be a problem. I’m just lucky this week I suppose :slight_smile:

Winseer:

I’ve got DVD’s that work in a couple of players but not another … isn’t that the same :wink:

If the card doesn’t work, the existing legislation tells you what to do - send it back and drive for 15 days. If a new card arrives and the same happens again - you send it back and now have another 15 days etc. Surely if drivers aren’t sending the cards back they are eating into their 15 days entitlement to drive?

Granted it may be a widespread issue - very possibly something to do with dates and times but until someone announces (and I’m sure it can only be VOSA) what is to be done about it, there is a legal procedure to be followed.