Digi tacho easy explanation

Jonbones89:

Dav1d:

stuwozere1:
I’d put the period from your last drive as a question mark [?]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Why ?
Do you not know what you did since ejecting your card ?

I would struggle remembering the time i finished work or stopped driving if a month had passed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If I had a month off driving and let’s say worked 4 weeks of varying shifts/days off in the warehouse, I’m not gonna sit there and manual entry start and finish times, days off and breaks for 4 weeks x 5 shifts.

Therefore I’d question mark the whole period.

Just about to start work after a looooong layoff.
Completing CPC and medical in 2 weeks.
Using the tachograph is my BIG worry.

This thread has helped to allay that somewhat.

Thanks Jonbones89 for starting it, and a massive thanks to all you guys who have posted info.
Excellent stuff.

stuwozere1:

Jonbones89:

Dav1d:

stuwozere1:
I’d put the period from your last drive as a question mark [?]

Why ?
Do you not know what you did since ejecting your card ?

I would struggle remembering the time i finished work or stopped driving if a month had passed.

If I had a month off driving and let’s say worked 4 weeks of varying shifts/days off in the warehouse, I’m not gonna sit there and manual entry start and finish times, days off and breaks for 4 weeks x 5 shifts.

Therefore I’d question mark the whole period.

I’d question mark the period as well… but bear in mind you still need a log of hours if they ask you to drive again

You need a record of at least 28 days so if they want you to drive tomorrow after a long time of not driving you need to show what you did for last 28 days

Normally a simple diary will do showing start/ end times seems to be acceptable to DVSA if stopped

You can’t just hop into a truck after a month off and put “?” Since last ejection.

For all they know you could have worked stupid hours and then jumped into truck hence need to show you have still complied with daily/weekly rest before driving off in that week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
I’d question mark the period as well… but bear in mind you still need a log of hours if they ask you to drive again

You need a record of at least 28 days so if they want you to drive tomorrow after a long time of not driving you need to show what you did for last 28 days

Normally a simple diary will do showing start/ end times seems to be acceptable to DVSA if stopped

You can’t just hop into a truck after a month off and put “?” Since last ejection.

For all they know you could have worked stupid hours and then jumped into truck hence need to show you have still complied with daily/weekly rest before driving off in that week

I agree about using the ? symbol but not about having to record what you’ve done for the last 28 days.

If you do none driving jobs between days when you drive in-scope of EU regulations you cannot legally record rest for the time since the card was ejected so you use the ? symbol, the ? symbol is for time that cannot be accounted for on the tachograph records.

Technically you should do a manual entry for the end of the lase shift done with a digital tachograph (if one is required) and a manual entry for the start of the current shift (if one is required) and use the ? symbol for all the time between.

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you should manually record all other work done since your last weekly rest period.

For instance, if you work in a warehouse Monday to Friday for 4 weeks then on the Wednesday of the 5th week you drive in-scope of EU regulations, you need to keep a record of the work done on Monday and Tuesday but you do not need to keep a record for any of the previous 4 weeks when you worked in a warehouse.

Some time ago I read somewhere that the DVSA like you to have a record of the day prior to having a weekly rest period but I’ve no idea if they still prefer that or not, though it does seem to make sense.

Technically written records for none driving work days should be kept on printouts or charts but it seems the DVSA are happy to accept records for none driving work days that are kept in a notebook/diary.

Obviously your much more au fair with regs than me Tachograph just I’ve always been told that the ? meant you did work not recorded by card but was recorded otherwise ie time sheets

The 28 days was what our last CPC trainer said we needed to have, similar in vein I suppose to the your card keeping at least 28 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tachograph:

dcgpx:

I agree about using the ? symbol but not about having to record what you’ve done for the last 28 days.

If you do none driving jobs between days when you drive in-scope of EU regulations you cannot legally record rest for the time since the card was ejected so you use the ? symbol, the ? symbol is for time that cannot be accounted for on the tachograph records.

Technically you should do a manual entry for the end of the lase shift done with a digital tachograph (if one is required) and a manual entry for the start of the current shift (if one is required) and use the ? symbol for all the time between.

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you should manually record all other work done since your last weekly rest period.

For instance, if you work in a warehouse Monday to Friday for 4 weeks then on the Wednesday of the 5th week you drive in-scope of EU regulations, you need to keep a record of the work done on Monday and Tuesday but you do not need to keep a record for any of the previous 4 weeks when you worked in a warehouse.

Some time ago I read somewhere that the DVSA like you to have a record of the day prior to having a weekly rest period but I’ve no idea if they still prefer that or not, though it does seem to make sense.

Technically written records for none driving work days should be kept on printouts or charts but it seems the DVSA are happy to accept records for none driving work days that are kept in a notebook/diary.

None hgv driving days would be recorded with my employer anyway as i drive class b. And our hours are on an app called rotacloud so all are recorded there too.

dcgpx:
Obviously your much more au fair with regs than me Tachograph just I’ve always been told that the ? meant you did work not recorded by card but was recorded otherwise ie time sheets

The ? symbol is for time that cannot or is not accounted for, I believe the precise meaning is “unknown”.

You would use the ? symbol for time that’s been recorded on a log-sheet when on domestic regulations or on a chart when you’ve been using an analogue tachograph, but it’s not exclusivity limited to situations where some other form of record has been kept.

dcgpx:
The 28 days was what our last CPC trainer said we needed to have, similar in vein I suppose to the your card keeping at least 28 days

This 28 day thing has cropped up before, in any week that you do no HGV/PCV driving you’re under no legal obligation to keep any records.

Tachograph Rules / 4.3 Common rules / Recording other work

During a week in which in-scope driving has taken place, any previous work ( including out-of scope driving)
since the last daily or weekly rest period ( taken in accordance with either the EU drivers’ hours or working time rules),
would have to be recorded as ‘other work’ on a tachograph chart, printout or manual entry using the manual input
facility of a digital tachograph chart, or a legally required GB domestic record on a log book.

tachograph:

dcgpx:

The ? symbol is for time that cannot or is not accounted for, I believe the precise meaning is “unknown”.

You would use the ? symbol for time that’s been recorded on a log-sheet when on domestic regulations or on a chart when you’ve been using an analogue tachograph, but it’s not exclusivity limited to situations where some other form of record has been kept.

dcgpx:

This 28 day thing has cropped up before, in any week that you do no HGV/PCV driving you’re under no legal obligation to keep any records.

Tachograph Rules / 4.3 Common rules / Recording other work

During a week in which in-scope driving has taken place, any previous work ( including out-of scope driving)
since the last daily or weekly rest period ( taken in accordance with either the EU drivers’ hours or working time rules),
would have to be recorded as ‘other work’ on a tachograph chart, printout or manual entry using the manual input
facility of a digital tachograph chart, or a legally required GB domestic record on a log book.

Can I ask you something tachograph?

Was I correct for once? [emoji106]

Jonbones89:
None hgv driving days would be recorded with my employer anyway as i drive class b. And our hours are on an app called rotacloud so all are recorded there too.

Unfortunately that does not negate the requirement to keep and carry with you a written record of any other work done since the last weekly rest period.

If you get pulled into a road-side checkpoint you’ll need to be able to show the records for none driving work days back to your last weekly rest period, a DVSA bod won’t be impressed if you tell him to nip back to your place of work to check an app :smiley:
As long as you can produce the app and show the DVSA bod the records at the road-side they might accept it but I can’t say for sure.

Check out the link I put in my reply to dcgpxa above :wink:

stuwozere1:
Can I ask you something tachograph?

Was I correct for once? [emoji106]

If you mean about using the ? symbol for time since the end of the last digital tachograph shift to the start of the current shift, when you’ve done other none HGV work in-between, yes the ? symbol is the correct symbol to use.

tachograph:

Jonbones89:

Unfortunately that does not negate the requirement to keep and carry with you a written record of any other work done since the last weekly rest period.

If you get pulled into a road-side checkpoint you’ll need to be able to show the records for none driving work days back to your last weekly rest period, a DVSA bod won’t be impressed if you tell him to nip back to your place of work to check an app :smiley:
As long as you can produce the app and show the DVSA bod the records at the road-side they might accept it but I can’t say for sure.

Check out the link I put in my reply to dcgpxa above :wink:

Thanks tacho

Apparently (and please correct me if this isn’t accurate) when I first started using a tacho, I was taking a 30 min break then a 15min in my 4.5 hrs and it recorded that I had only taken a 30 min break.

I was told I have to take a 15 then a 30 not the other way round for it to record a 45 min break in 4.5 driving time. Due to this I got an infraction saying I had driven a 5.46 hour with no break, which wasn’t correct at all.

So, if this is accurate, something else to remember.

Haizum74:
Apparently (and please correct me if this isn’t accurate) when I first started using a tacho, I was taking a 30 min break then a 15min in my 4.5 hrs and it recorded that I had only taken a 30 min break.

I was told I have to take a 15 then a 30 not the other way round for it to record a 45 min break in 4.5 driving time. Due to this I got an infraction saying I had driven a 5.46 hour with no break, which wasn’t correct at all.

As far as i am aware your 30 min break should always be the last break. So always have your 15 mins first then your 30.

Haizum74:

A 45 minute driving break can be split into two parts of 15 minutes and 30 minutes and they must be taken in that order.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=123738&p=1924193#p1924193

As I am returning to this industry after 15 years away from it and getting used to the digital tacho is rapidly becoming the most worrying aspect of it all (originally it was passing the medical although I actually passed this with flying colours :smiley:) especially as there seem to be 3 different types out there.
This thread has proved to be very helpful and I thank the OP and all the other posters kind enough to give there time to share their invaluable wisdom.
I shall read and reread all your comments in readiness for that moment in a few days time when I climb up behind the wheel look up at whichever model I find installed and hopefully all your advice will come flooding back.

DC17148:
As I am returning to this industry after 15 years away from it and getting used to the digital tacho is rapidly becoming the most worrying aspect of it all (originally it was passing the medical although I actually passed this with flying colours :smiley:) especially as there seem to be 3 different types out there.
This thread has proved to be very helpful and I thank the OP and all the other posters kind enough to give there time to share their invaluable wisdom.
I shall read and reread all your comments in readiness for that moment in a few days time when I climb up behind the wheel look up at whichever model I find installed and hopefully all your advice will come flooding back.

If its any more help to you the hgv i get in at work when i insert my card first thing on morning it automatically sets to other work. So i leave it do my checks and when im ready to go i just drive and it changes to driving automatically. Then when i stop it goes to other work by it self. So the only thing i need to worry about is when im on a break put it on the rest symbol and after my break set it to the hammers and when i drive it does it all auto.

I dont do a manual entry on a morning because when i finish my shift i put it on the rest symbol and then eject my card cos i am not doing any other work or driving until i insert my card the next day.

It is simple enough but its something i had to physically do to fully understand if that makes sense.

Jonbones89:

DC17148:

If its any more help to you the hgv i get in at work when i insert my card first thing on morning it automatically sets to other work. So i leave it do my checks and when im ready to go i just drive and it changes to driving automatically. Then when i stop it goes to other work by it self. So the only thing i need to worry about is when im on a break put it on the rest symbol and after my break set it to the hammers and when i drive it does it all auto.

I dont do a manual entry on a morning because when i finish my shift i put it on the rest symbol and then eject my card cos i am not doing any other work or driving until i insert my card the next day.

It is simple enough but its something i had to physically do to fully understand if that makes sense.

That information helps. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I must confess; I don’t know how to do a manual entry :confused: I’ve been driving since 1991 and don’t have a clue! I can just about cobble one together from written instructions, basically step one press this, step two press that. But I don’t have a clue what I’m doing or why.

I generally don’t bother :blush:

I’ve been driving wagons now for 5 years. Probably had around 10 employers in that time, and the only one that has ever bothered with manual entries was Maritime.

If you are new to driving/tachograph’s, my advice is not to bother with manual entries unless instructed to do so. If you are paid based on your tacho then I understand a manual entry, otherwise until you get comfortable with using a tacho, simply don’t bother.

Tachograph (as in TNUK member) is a valuable source of knowledge on here and is the Yoda of all things digitally recorded :wink: I heard a rumour once that he evens lifts the toilet seat when having a ■■■■■, he’s that sort of guy! (Read his excellent tacho guide for noobs :sunglasses: )

Go on YouTube, therockgod23 has a good vid or 2 on manual entries. Watch it, write down the steps as you go.

That’s the easiest way I can think of… maybe I should take my own advice?