Different company cultures

kemaro:
I think part of it starts at the top & filters down , whether its a big blue chip co or small family run firm , if attitudes at the top stink & they have no real clue about haulage & just shout & ball at drivers then that attitude reflects back in that people won’t do any more than they’re paid to do , if there’s a lack of respect & appreciation for what drivers do & they just treat you like a moron then you will get a [zb] attitude back & no willingness to do …

STOBRATS :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

All companies start out as good to work for. The rot sets in the minute a H R department is formed, these departments are usually headed by a frizzy haired harridan who’s only ability is to tick boxes. Oh, she probably only drinks fair trade coffee and wears dungarees when out of work and with her “life partner”.

GasGas:
Now here’s a question for you.

Some companies seem to have drivers who are what you might call real gents.

Keedwells and Goughs are two that spring to mind. They always seem to drive sensibly and acknowledge the courtesies of others, for example.

Other companies, which I won’t mention here, seem to employ drivers who are a bit more pushy and careless of others.

I wonder if there’s some kind of company culture here? Could it be that the drivers for the two companies I mention feel generally happy in their work and content with their lot. While drivers at companies where they are ‘just a number’ don’t feel any responsibility other than to do what they are paid to with a minimum of effort?

I honestly don’t know, but the Keedwell and Gough trucks both seem to be well above average in terms of vehicle spec and presentation?

Interested to hear the views of others…I’ve no connection with any of the companies mentioned, and there are other companies which seem to have a similar pattern of behaviour.

Pushy :question: ,If you want to get on in this job you have to push people out the way,the days of it gets there when it gets there are gone,I’m not bothered who’s feet I tread on as long as I get as many loads moved in a day as I can,I don’t answer to driver A from co B,I have to answer to a planner who wants answers if loads don’t get moved,if that means upsetting folks to get those loads moved ,so be it