Defective trailers

Olog Hai:
You say that you have defected trailers for being very close to the legal tyre tread depth limit. Assuming you mean close but just about legal, there is no defect and you will be doing yourself no favours with those in the office by putting a defect note in for something that is roadworthy in the eyes of the law.

But at the same time, it advises them to get the tyres sorted out at convenient time and place.

I.e. ■■■■ the driver drops a defect note in saying the 2 above tyres are getting close to the legal limit.

Mark the manager see this, and asks ■■■■ to drop the trailer in to ats once he’s unloaded.

■■■■ agrees too.

Or ■■■■ ignores the 2 tyres, they wear out. Bob the driver picks it up, see the 2 tyres are now illegal and reports them to mark. This is now 6pm. Marks got a choice, either use the call out service to get ats to replace them or tranship the load. Either way the bob and the load will be late.

Olog Hai:
You say that you have defected trailers for being very close to the legal tyre tread depth limit. Assuming you mean close but just about legal, there is no defect and you will be doing yourself no favours with those in the office by putting a defect note in for something that is roadworthy in the eyes of the law.

It depends how close, doesn’t it? If the tyre has next to nothing left, such that a tight turn might reasonably scrub the last of the tread off, then it is a defect requiring an immediate fix, notwithstanding that it remains legal as it is. For example, if the legal minimum is 1mm, I’d expect the tyre to be replaced an appreciable margin before it reaches that, not after it has reached or exceeded the limit.

Also, consider the operator’s attitude. Those with a good attitude to preventative maintenance and where you rarely find defects, can be given the benefit of the doubt (especially if the workshop say it’ll do). Those with bad attitudes will wait until defects actually are illegal, and then they’ll say “drive it back to us and we’ll sort it” when you’re still 200 miles away.

In regards to bulbs, I always tried to carry enough spares, chatting up one of the fitters or a TM every now and again usually gained me enough bulbs of every type that was in use.

In regards to tyres, if a tyres tread depth caused me to think “hmmm not to sure about that” then it would get noted on the daily defect (and queried if near a fitter if available before taking it) and definitely mention it verbally to a TM/Planner at next available opportunity.

It’s just simply applying the “CYOA” protocol

Reef:
In regards to bulbs, I always tried to carry enough spares, chatting up one of the fitters or a TM every now and again usually gained me enough bulbs of every type that was in use.

In regards to tyres, if a tyres tread depth caused me to think “hmmm not to sure about that” then it would get noted on the daily defect (and queried if near a fitter if available before taking it) and definitely mention it verbally to a TM/Planner at next available opportunity.

It’s just simply applying the “CYOA” protocol

^
This

I always carry an assortment of bulbs to suit different trailer sockets plus screwdriver set. Ref another post cutting your hands, old bulbs tend to shatter and i always keep a piece of rag with the bulbs to put over the glass when removing them…

Changing trailers at our place is like the worst game of pass the parcel ever.
When the music stops your the one left with a dodgy trailer.

Friday being a prime example when both side front axles had tyres that on visual inspection triggered my outcry “bollox they look a bit close”. Don’t know who I was talking to as I was on me tod.

Anyway after pulling out my depth gauge and inserting in all the groves (WTF I’m not even going for innuendo), I discovered the outer groove was about 1.5mm, then the rest about 2 - 4mm the full circumscion of the tyre, even pulled forward a bit to do the job proper.

This was a relief as defecting a trailer on pick up is a bit of a no no due to the previous driver getting a massive bollocking. Don’t forget I have to work with these knob jockeys.

So job done next day a quick call to maintenance company requesting 2 new tyres because they where to close to the legal limit to be considered safe to run with. 3 hours later call from company confirming job done which was nice.

I work on a ‘change window’ for tyres at 3mm this window opens at 1.5mm this window closes and the truck don’t move, unless it’s gonna drop another driver in the brown goo as above.

Dipper_Dave:
Changing trailers at our place is like the worst game of pass the parcel ever.
When the music stops your the one left with a dodgy trailer.

Friday being a prime example when both side front axles had tyres that on visual inspection triggered my outcry “bollox they look a bit close”. Don’t know who I was talking to as I was on me tod.

Anyway after pulling out my depth gauge and inserting in all the groves (WTF I’m not even going for innuendo), I discovered the outer groove was about 1.5mm, then the rest about 2 - 4mm the full circumscion of the tyre, even pulled forward a bit to do the job proper.

This was a relief as defecting a trailer on pick up is a bit of a no no due to the previous driver getting a massive bollocking. Don’t forget I have to work with these knob jockeys.

So job done next day a quick call to maintenance company requesting 2 new tyres because they where to close to the legal limit to be considered safe to run with. 3 hours later call from company confirming job done which was nice.

I work on a ‘change window’ for tyres at 3mm this window opens at 1.5mm this window closes and the truck don’t move, unless it’s gonna drop another driver in the brown goo as above.

It sounds like this company has cottoned on to the aggravation caused by discovering a defective trailer (or vehicle) in the yard at the very moment when it is needed for use, and have realised that it is the person who did not report a defect with an item of equipment when he had finished using it, that is the source of the problem. It is so easy to avoid this situation, companies require a daily defect report at the start of the shift and when another piece of equipment is put to use. An additional shift-end or finished-with-equipment defect report not only identifies faults which were not apparent at the start, but above all it allows time to arrange for rectification without such great disruption to planned operations. If two drivers cannot get their heads together at a trunking trailer swap to overcome the second driver picking up a defect that the first driver missed two minutes earlier; then neither is worth a light.

Be like me…if its fitted…it should work…dont listen to the office about a driver who used it before…some care…others dont…defect it…if its a bulb…change it…if it still doesnt work…defect it…as for tyres…if theyre near the knuckle, refuse to take it out, the same as bulbs not working…Vosa will not take knndly to vehicles being on the road with defects, when you could have got it sorted. Ok a short trip without a bulb working could be ok, but opersonally i would wantb to look at it, or get it looked at before i left the yard,

Trust me, like I said I slashed my thumb changing the bulb for a new one, but nothing happened. Maybe dodgy wiring etc? So I did give it a go.

And with the tyres, I know ours get ‘scrubbed’ because there is a mini roundabout at one end which you have to use to turn around as just after it there is a 7ft width restriction!
Freebournes road in Witham if anyone knows it :slight_smile: