Default to bed.

Ross v stobart:
Most drivers I talk to readily admit a bit of fiddling.
Its a part of the job.

But to know your fiddling one has to understand what is the fiddle.

I understand the rules, trust me.

Take it from me the current way our transport sector works is a big fiddle and plenty will admit it.
Its a part of the job at present.

Nope, I don’t take it from you.

There is no shame in fiddling as there are lots that do a fiddle so it O K.{ think of the money £££££££ }

I merely wanted to point out that most drivers are recording there working time the wrong way.
I understand what many drivers consider a rest or P O A, I do not !

Doesn’t make you correct.

It just seems a odd situation for h g v drivers to think they are following the law or rules when really they are not.

I expect one day in the future someone with common sense will see that the working time hours that h g v drivers currently work is excessive.
Many drivers work up to 80 plus hrs a week on a regular basis.
I have seen drivers having accidents and making silly mistakes and acting foolishly whilst driving and if you ask me these are symptoms of fatigue.

Why would anyone ask you?

Look if your an operator or self employed contractor or a brown nose employee you wont like what I am saying about excessive working time as your principal interest will be money.{£££££}
But if your an employee who pays tax then you are entitled to work lawfully and responsibly.

I do

Following the requirements of the working time legislation will have a negative effect on your pay packets {£££££}if you work for a company who does not comply with the requirements as they will make your job difficult and try to get rid of you. {on yer bike}

I just wanted to point out that within the transport sector operators and drivers are not complying with the limits set by the regulations.

Just Bang It On P O A or Rest mode!

A V O S A Geezer once said you can not get done for having to many rest breaks but you can get done for not having enough.

please note: Fiddling is fine remember, it just like your local M P or Banker who got caught fiddling,However they were quids in and getting well paid for there fiddling of which truckers do not.

And the award for most tedious, sanctimonious prick of the year goes to…Ross v stobart

A common symptom of fatigue is aggression (Aggressive driving,tailgating)
It seems everyday you catch a glimpse of hgv drivers forcing there way along highways tailgating and driving to close.
In a rush to meet a deadline only to hang around like youve got nothing better to do.
Personally I like driving but there’s a limit.
well the law says there’s a limit.
going back to default tacho recording,I cant really see why the operator would require this apart from trying to get arround proper compliance.
Im not really alone when it comes to acknowledging some drivers don’t agree with the long hours,but believe there’s nothing you can do.
It just appears that something isnt right with compliance.
It would be a shame for hard working and honest employees to be working on the wrong side of the law when they do not have to.

111.jpg :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Take a Break.

Tacho’s which default to rest, in my opinion, are a pain in the neck and should be programmed to remain on the current mode after the ignition switch has been turned off. For drivers who use several different vehicles whose tachos operate in a different way means they have to remember to switch modes or else risk getting into strife with Mr Vosa. For those companies who arent prepared to take their vehicle to the calibration station especially to have this done, get it done on the next calibration (two yearly) date.

The D A F fitter told me that many customers are requesting the tacho be set to default on new vehicles.
VOSA know this but dont monitor or enforce.
It’s one of the ways to navigate around the regulations.
Another way is to manually set P O A or more common set break.
As they say.
You can get done for not enough breaks,but you dont get done forhaving lot’s

BIG YAWN. :unamused:

Do you want to buy some tobacco, Tax free.
My mates got loads of ciggaretes and rolling tobacco for sale.
pass the word around.
cheap ciggys.

Ross v stobart:
pass the word around.
cheap ciggys.

Erm…just a suggestion, and I dont know if your comments are serious or not, but it’s best not to offer such information on the WWW :sunglasses:

Lusk:

Ross v stobart:
pass the word around.
cheap ciggys.

Erm…just a suggestion, and I dont know if your comments are serious or not, but it’s best not to offer such information on the WWW :sunglasses:

On the other hand, anything that stops Ross from banging on about POA or dangerous lorry drivers not complying with the regulations can’t be a bad thing :smiley:

Do you even pack in your constant moaning and dripping on? You’ve nothing interesting to say and you’re using far too many words saying it.

I had mine changed so it went to rest when I turn the key off to avoid me leaving the dam thing on other work now and then. This has happened to me several times sin’ce I’ve had this lorry.

I was talking to an assessor about this last week and he told me I can move the mode to other duties with the key turned off but I’ve yet to try it. I like to control when I have a break and how long I have and also to show other work when I park up as well as when I start my shift & if I’m washing down or greasing the lorry I like it on the right mode but don’t like leaving the key on to achieve it. Still pleased I had it done though.

BB

Basilbrush:
I had mine changed so it went to rest when I turn the key off to avoid me leaving the dam thing on other work now and then. This has happened to me several times sin’ce I’ve had this lorry.

I was talking to an assessor about this last week and he told me I can mpve the mode to other duties with the key turned off. I like to ontrol when I have a break and how long I have and also to show other work when I park up as well as when I start my shift & if I’m washing down or greasing the lorry I like it on the right mode but don’t like leaving the key on to achieve it. Still pleased I had it done though.

BB

You can via your nearest Tachograph centre who will no doubt charge you for the pleasure :grimacing:

I had a hire motor last week, a MAN, which defaulted to other work every time the key was turned on or off so when i pulled in for a break on 4:29 and put tacho on break and then turned off the key it automaticaly went back to work, fast forward 50mins and i check tacho before driving off and theres no break, do printout and no break FFS, make my excuses on back of printout and hit the road

My company has recently changed the default setting from rest to other work, when I stop now if I turn the ignition on OR off tacho now resets to other work.
Question I have is I stop select rest and sit for 10 minutes then take keys out and leave the lorry the tacho will change to other work if I forget to re select rest when I return and notice my error can I do a manual entry for the 10-15 minutes I’m away or do I need to start my 45 minute break from scratch?
One of our guys is currently getting hassle over this despite the veh tracker showing him on a ferry for for almost an hour.
Any thoughts or advice appreciated

If you select break then take keys out and let’s say lock door and return it should still be on break surely ?

You cant do a manual entry if the time overlaps something recorded on the card already.
When you remove the key and the mode changes to othet work you will see the cross hammers flashing. You can change the mode straight away and it will keep a continuous record. The other option is to fully remove the card and do it all as a manual entry

Ivorm:
My company has recently changed the default setting from rest to other work, when I stop now if I turn the ignition on OR off tacho now resets to other work.
Question I have is I stop select rest and sit for 10 minutes then take keys out and leave the lorry the tacho will change to other work if I forget to re select rest when I return and notice my error can I do a manual entry for the 10-15 minutes I’m away or do I need to start my 45 minute break from scratch?
One of our guys is currently getting hassle over this despite the veh tracker showing him on a ferry for for almost an hour.

You should defect the Tachograph its not working correctly. By using the term “default” i assume you mean “changes to”, in actual fact the only mode a tachograph should record automatically is “driving”, it follows that therefore it should only change to another mode when the driver changes it ("driving " aside of course). There’s also the problem that by operating the tachograph when the ignition is switched off in order to correct this you’ll be doing this with the tachograph backlight switched off, again another condition of its operation (that it should be illuminated), and in practical terms open to driver error when its dark in cab etc…
The “default” , if there is such a thing should be the mode the driver has set it too. Of course none of them work like that so good luck to you. You’ll probably struggle with this.

Mike-C:

Ivorm:

You should defect the Tachograph its not working correctly. By using the term “default” i assume you mean “changes to”, in actual fact the only mode a tachograph should record automatically is “driving”, it follows that therefore it should only change to another mode when the driver changes it ("driving " aside of course). There’s also the problem that by operating the tachograph when the ignition is switched off in order to correct this you’ll be doing this with the tachograph backlight switched off, again another condition of its operation (that it should be illuminated), and in practical terms open to driver error when its dark in cab etc…
The “default” , if there is such a thing should be the mode the driver has set it too. Of course none of them work like that so good luck to you. You’ll probably struggle with this.

Mine defaults to break as well, but the comment mike-c said pees me off, I turn off the ignition off the tacho reverts to break and I have to change that everytime I stop to load the lorry 8/10 times a day (I forget sometimes) especially at 4.30 in the morning when it is dark, if the back light stayed on for a bit longer it might help me to remember, even more annoying is the other truck we have with a digi (I seldom drive that one just now and again) reverts to other work when the ignition is switched off, guess who forgets to pt it into break :slight_smile: