Dead lines , presure ,accidents

robroy:

truckyboy:
I hope VOSA are taking notice of these posts !!
Most companies are taking advantage of the 15 hour day, and are planning these days as a regular occurance, and most RDC`s are not allowing drivers to sit in comfort either in the cab, or providing inadequate rest facilities.
Our company push drivers to the maximum limits, 15 hr days, + 9 hrs rest periods, which in my opinion is an abuse of their powers, so the sooner VOSA rescind this legislation the better, and give us a 13 hr day as it was before.

Well said mate, couldn’t agree more, my 15hr days are taken when I decide, and mostly for my own benefit, eg on a friday, a lot of drivers are genuinely under the impression that a 15 on 9 off is a compulsory target to be met every week, not a limit.

if they were paid a set salary, a day rate, or weekly wage, then how many would do 15 hour days?
if they changed the wages policy i bet they’d get the same amount of work done in a 10 hour day, as they do now in a 15 hour day.

cav551:
Perhaps this is a good reason to be an Agency driver instead.

They still track the motor & give you loads of ■■■■ about the job on Agy(tesco spring to mind #to55ers)

jase:
Me,happens to me most mornings but that’s Stobarts for you at the moment,everything’s time and motion,30mins to get out of yard in the morning,25mins to finish up at the end of your shift,15 mins if a night man as you don’t fuel up,day men have to do it.
just so ■■■■■■ off with it all now,I can see why some European drivers like getting parked up by Vosa so they can actually have a proper break.

Being parked up by the authorities is not such a strange idea. I have heard of many who have done it on purpose, even the Dutch drivers did it, as long as it was near a bar or a beach :wink:

truckyboy:
I hope VOSA are taking notice of these posts !!
Most companies are taking advantage of the 15 hour day, and are planning these days as a regular occurance, and most RDC`s are not allowing drivers to sit in comfort either in the cab, or providing inadequate rest facilities.
Our company push drivers to the maximum limits, 15 hr days, + 9 hrs rest periods, which in my opinion is an abuse of their powers, so the sooner VOSA rescind this legislation the better, and give us a 13 hr day as it was before.
Last friday, after returning to the yard, i was 10 minutes short of a 15 hr day, was clock watching, as you do, and was in such a hurry to drop the trailer and get parked up, plus the tiredness,( as companies do not take into account the time of getting up, in order to get an early start, plus the travelling time) i had been awake by this time for 17 hours, so pulled off the trailer without disconnecting the suzies, ( just shows you what tiredness does ) after work i have an hours travelling, so all in all thats an 18 hr day, giving me approx 5 hrs sleep after winding down when i get home, then the idiots are on the phone during the day, because you dared to take a meal break, after sitting on a loading bay, with only a coffee/tea for refreshment, they dont want you to eat/drink during their working day, and more and more companies are insistingon that, as with monitors, the vehicles are on track/24/7, well thats a lie actually as per normal the office staff are at home with their feet up, whilst the drivers are on the road past midnight, should be a law against that as well.

You do realise that you have the right to say NO to 9hrs off, especially at base?

I don’t mind having 9hrs off in the cab, if I’m away then I want to earn as much as possible, but if I’m going home, I’m having 10 hrs + off, even if I’ve done a 15hr day and it only counts as 9hrs off, I won’t only have 9hrs off if I’m going home. 10hrs maybe so still a reducer, but normally insist on 11hrs depending on the job - ie if it’s drive for an hour then get tipped for 4hrs and you’re aloud to be in your cab during tipping, I don’t mind going in a bit tired, if however it’s a 4hr drive to 1st drop down a motorway, forget it.

waynedl:
You do realise that you have the right to say NO to 9hrs off, especially at base?

Interesting theory, show us the law though. :unamused:

schrodingers cat:

waynedl:

Interesting theory, show us the law though. :unamused:

Who’s responsibility is it?

There’s your answer

Also, in the rules, the wording is

Rules:
A driver MUST take a minimum of 11hrs rest
A driver may reduce this to 9hrs
A driver may choose to take a split daily rest

At the end of the day, you have an accident because you’re tired, YOU - THE DRIVER are in trouble, you damage the vehicle or anything else because you’re tired, YOU - THE DRIVER are in trouble.

The rules also state DO NOT DRIVE WHILST TIRED.

No one should be under extreme pressure but you’ve got to get on with the job, you can make alot of time up by working quickly whilst being loaded ie strapping up, putting side boards in etc whilst the other side is being done. Not hanging around talking is a good way to save time :wink: , all this means more time off to rest.

robroy:

Trukkertone:
just chill out, next time one of them rings you in the middle of your break tell them they have interrupted the break, so you must start the break again… AND IF THEY SAY YOU AREN’T GOING FAST ENOUGH TELL EM TO GET THE SPEED LIMITER TOOK OFF THE VEHICLE… …

Or easier still just tell them to ZB OFF ! you are in charge of the vehicle so you are doing your job properly and professionally by deciding both if and when it is safe to drive it on the road, and when to take your break, not some [zb] in an office who knows much less about the job than you do, it would take a bloody good man to make me teararse abouSubject: ESL CARLISLE REF START TIME MONDAY 6TH AUGUST 2012t, I hate these [zb]. :smiling_imp:
The problem these days is a lot of younger drivers are frightened to speak up for themselves, as a lot have been brainwashed after taking “co apprenticeships” :unamused: where co.policy is rammed down their necks all day,… while dressed in green for example :wink:

Never a true word spoken pal :grimacing: if you’re TIRED you pull up and stop! :grimacing: ASK for it in writing to drive TIRED, stobart don’t like that one! OR should I say MR BOLGER doest like that one!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

It all depends on the job I have. If I’m just a number in a large operation and get set an impossible deadline I always use the same methods, which is to ake them aware that it is not possible to make it, I go through the whole journey with them, giving them a clear idea of how long it takes, then if they still try to send me out with it, I constantly phone in letting them know the traffic conditions etc and my ETA, I do it as often as necessary until they get it into their heads that I can’t do time travel, I don’t often get asked to do the impossible after that :wink:

As for getting a bollocking for having a break, or being told to book a break while being unloaded, yeah I’d love that, simple way around that, ■■■■ all that POA nonsense, put the tacho on other work if you’re not driving or on a break, you’re at work from the minute you get in the yard until the minute you leave or pull your card for the day, if they haven’t got the ■■■■■■■■ to do something about it when a delivery or collection keep you hanging around for too long, that’s their problem, don’t be a mug and make a rod for your own back :bulb:

Unless…If you’re happy with the job, like the money and conditions and don’t mind doing what you need to do to get the job done, then you have made the choice yourself, so you have no cause for complaint, sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth :wink:

God fatboy slimslow you’ve just made the hair on the back of my neck rise at the mere mention of that mans name!!!,and if he’s your ops manager you have my deepest sympathy lol!

I was once asked if i would take a break while tipping , i asked them to e mail there request to me they just said forget it

bjd:
I was once asked if i would take a break while tipping , i asked them to e mail there request to me they just said forget it

You do it once then you have to do it all the time! 15 hour shifts with no break takes its toll on you after a while and i’d never go back to that!

bjd:

Most firms i’ve worked for would expect you to do this. Kind of goes without saying.
I can’t see it being illegal in most cases. If you’re sat on the bunk doing sod all, Then you’re resting.

I’ve pulled up at many places after doing over 4 hours driving, Put it on rest whilst on the bay, Then after i’m tipped and shown a break the card looks right. But i’ll then stop off for a shower or food if i want to.

I appreciate your circumstances, And type of work could differ quite a bit from mine.

limeyphil:

bjd:

Most firms i’ve worked for would expect you to do this. Kind of goes without saying.
I can’t see it being illegal in most cases. If you’re sat on the bunk doing sod all, Then you’re resting.

I’ve pulled up at many places after doing over 4 hours driving, Put it on rest whilst on the bay, Then after i’m tipped and shown a break the card looks right. But i’ll then stop off for a shower or food if i want to.

I appreciate your circumstances, And type of work could differ quite a bit from mine.

You have the choice. If you choose to take it while being tipped, great. If you are TOLD you are taking while being tipped…err…no mate. I choose when and where I break not you. If the TM wants to tell me where and when I break, i would invite him to come and do the job properly and let him drive the ■■■■■■■ wagon…

Just request to your planner that you would like it put down in writing that they would prefer it, if you were to drive whilst being tired (sleepy) and have them sign it. Putting it back on them they tend to soon back down.

limeyphil:

bjd:

Yep especialy on boxes.

Been tracked for years now and never had a problem, if your not running late and you take a break no one argues. if your running late and you need a break then you stand your ground, and they allways back down and if not go over their head. trouble is some guys seem to allways be on break :unamused:

Just as an aside, the VOSA have a phrase to cover being presurised to work, and quoting it silecnes all arguement, “Putting to comercial gain before road safety”. :wink:

jase:
God fatboy slimslow you’ve just made the hair on the back of my neck rise at the mere mention of that mans name!!!,and if he’s your ops manager you have my deepest sympathy lol!

ops manager■■? He couldn’t MANAGE to knock one out on his own!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: tell a lie he is MR WAYNE KERR :sunglasses:

limeyphil:

bjd:

Thats not tipping on break…