Day rate 'After tax'?

Carryfast:
Daily rate, job rate, per mile rate or per hour rate it makes no difference.Its all about the work load and duties expected ‘in a day’.
IE £15 per hour class 2 based on an 8 hour day local multi drop all handball.
Or £10 per hour based on a 12 hour day distance trailer swaps only trunking regardless of how it’s calculated hourly or job rate.
Which would you prefer.

Its not difficult to see why you spectacularly failed at this job is it!

Or you could simply go for option 2 but at your chosen figure of £15 per hour. No idea why you found that so difficult when trying desperately to find a job, actually on second thoughts we all know why you couldn’t achieve it.

day rates only really work in the drivers favour outside general haulage- in transport if the wheels aren’t moving your boss isnt earning so your boss will want max hours/productivity if he gets that at a fixed rate for the driver he will be pushed to the max as it doesnt cost him any more drivers wage. I work on a day rate, but in an area where transport is a very minor secondary cost, In my job, I can work/Drive 8 hours on day one, be on site for 3 hours day two, then sit off tacho for one or two days, before reloading and setting off again 5 days where I may only have been at work/on duty/driving in total 24 hours then day rate is attractive:
For example ( actual recent job)
Day rate is £150 weekdays Night out is £50 (43 taxable)
Day one drive preloaded truck to Leeds (2hours)
Unload trucks and assist on site (4 hours) drive to Services 10 minutes
Day two, sit at services
Day 3 drive to site (10 Minutes) reload (4 hours), drive to yard ( 2 hours)

Pay 3x£150 = £450 day rate
total Hours worked (rounded up for ease of maths 12.5 hours )
Hourly rate £36 per hour + £50 night out

in general transport there is no way to support that sort of hourly actual hours worked rate, How do I know? because we have subbies (transport firms) who work with us on the same jobs, and while we are parked up on pay, their boss’s will have their lads off doing other local jobs (sometimes not so local ) and chasing them and while those drivers earn similar money to us over the week, they do a lot more for it than we do- because as I said they are in transport to make money where we as a company arent
However if I was on an actually worked hourly rate I would be a lot worse off as even an own account compnay like ours would baulk at £36 per hour . Day rate works for certain own account operations in favour of the driver, in transport it only benefits the boss

Paid by the hour - 13 hours @ £15/hr = £195 top line .
£195 x 5 days = £975 + 4 nights out @£25/night = £975 +£100 = £1075 top line pay Tax, insurance and pension still have to be deducted from that £975 lets say 25% (This only a guess I really dont know what tax and N.I rates are )=£731 + £100 night out money = £831
If you get a bad week and your hours drop your pay drops a good week and you earn a bit more
You have no control over the amount of money you can earn - cancelled loads , parked up early , boats not sailing - thats the risk you take on hourly pay.

Paid by the day - 5 days @£150 a day take home = £750 + £100 night out money = £850 in the bank each and every week .
If I work 45 hours one week I have £850 in the bank if I work 60 hours the next I have £850 in the bank .
If I can do a sixth day then I have £1000 in the bank . Its the companies job to work out what my top line is they work it out tax and National insurance is "dead money " it had to come out of my pay but its not money I can spend so why does it matter to me - it dosent , the only thing that matters to me is how much I bank each week that I can spend . Top lines are meaning less , hourly rates meaning less .
Yes some weeks I work more hours and the company wins but some weeks I work less hours and I win you have to know the hours you work and where the break point is - where you start losing and the company starts winning . If the company is winning to many times then another £10 a day may be needed to balance the odds thats the risk you take on daily pay .

beefy4605:

. Top lines are meaning less ,

this year we’re going to have 3 different rates for tax and NI rates. Married people pay different tax, different age groups pay different, whether you live in Scotland or England is different, it’s just not feasible. To compare between different employers a headline rate before tax is much easier to compare.

hourly rates meaning less .

that means you don’t value your time, that you don’t care how hard you have to work for the money you earn.

Also with hourly pay, I thought it was standard that you would have say an eight hour or ten hours minimum that you would be paid for showing up, is that not the case? So you know your minimum weekly pay, the long hours are just a bonus.

stu675:

beefy4605:

this year we’re going to have 3 different rates for tax and NI rates. Married people pay different tax, different age groups pay different, whether you live in Scotland or England is different, it’s just not feasible. To compare between different employers a headline rate before tax is much easier to compare.

that means you don’t value your time, that you don’t care how hard you have to work for the money you earn.

Also with hourly pay, I thought it was standard that you would have say an eight hour or ten hours minimum that you would be paid for showing up, is that not the case? So you know your minimum weekly pay, the long hours are just a bonus.

You do understand what tax codes are , how and why they are issued ? Tax rebates where you get paid back any overpaid tax .

Hourly pay should be self explanatory - you get paid by the hour for the hours you work - work 4 hours - get 4 hours pay , work 15 hours - get 15 hours pay

stu675:

beefy4605:

Well with 3 changes of tax and N.I rates this year if your paid by the hour your never sure what you taking home - are you ? Your tax and N.I will change so what you take home changes .
Paid by the day I’m still taking the same amount home week after week -tax and N.I changes in rates are the office peoples problems - they have to adjust my top line so that when tax and N.I are paid I still end up with my day rate - my pay stays the same .
As to valuing my time I know exactly how many hours I work some days I may have to put in a couple more hours than I want to but many days I get finished earlier than expected so when its all added up on a daily rate I’m better of being paid by the day than by the hour .

Why do so many get hung up on top lines rather than take home pay? Take home pay is the one that matters the amount of people now working with minimum wage ,meal allowances , unpaid breaks etc etc its all smoke and mirrors trying to figure it out . Day rate after tax and N.I cuts all that out £150 a day - thats what you take home . Keep it simple and you’ll not get screwed over by the accountants and the pennypinchers .

Carryfast:
As opposed to driving an artic a couple of hours each way up the road to a hub and the rest the shift working as a warehouse labourer for not much more in real terms.

I do love your persistence with this myth of yours :smiley: I bet you were a legendary first class b****hitter when you were a driver :smiley:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
As opposed to driving an artic a couple of hours each way up the road to a hub and the rest the shift working as a warehouse labourer for not much more in real terms.

I do love your persistence with this myth of yours :smiley: I bet you were a legendary first class b****hitter when you were a driver :smiley:

He still is a driver, just one that now has the privilege of earning the princely sum of £9 an hour for driving banger cars round the country and being run ragged with 18 hour days trade plating! :smiley:

tmcassett:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

He still is a driver, just one that now has the privilege of earning the princely sum of £9 an hour for driving banger cars round the country and being run ragged with 18 hour days trade plating! :smiley:

Considering £9 is not even the min wage I kinda doubt it. I suspect the wage is more like £10.50 an hour as I’ve seen the jobs appear quite often in Tilbury.
Never seen ‘banger’ cars being driven by them either. Usually its brand new Mercs or Beemers. They often still have the plastic peel on the roof/bumpers.
Maybe Carryfast movies pre-owned vehicles though, who knows. It doesn’t seem like a bad job to be honest, other than having to use public transport to get back home lol.
I did consider being a trade plate driver for HGVs tbh.

adam277:

tmcassett:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Considering £9 is not even the min wage I kinda doubt it. I suspect the wage is more like £10.50 an hour as I’ve seen the jobs appear quite often in Tilbury.
Never seen ‘banger’ cars being driven by them either. Usually its brand new Mercs or Beemers. They often still have the plastic peel on the roof/bumpers.
Maybe Carryfast movies pre-owned vehicles though, who knows. It doesn’t seem like a bad job to be honest, other than having to use public transport to get back home lol.
I did consider being a trade plate driver for HGVs tbh.

I’m just quoting Carryfast himself on the £9 an hour as that’s the figure he gave further up this thread. I’m not convinced it’s a glamorous job based on the high turnover of people doing it. Plus I know a couple of people who tried it and my description above is based on their experience of it (Okay the 18 hours a day bit was a bit tongue in cheek) but the hours are generally excessive.

Maybe there is a glamorous side to it driving top end cars round and working 8-9 hours a day that pays well. But if there is it will be one of those desirable jobs where employment would be on recommendation and attitude and Carryfast has shown on here that he would fail both those criteria miserably.