Day out at Rush Green

Punchy Dan:
It’s not a Gardner Ramone it’s got a ■■■■■■■ in .

■■■■■■■ snitch Dan’l :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gazsa401:

When I was restoring my Seddon Atkinson trying to get in to Rush Green for any spares or information was like trying to get an audience with the pope

Don’t worry about that “grass” Punchy Dan GAZ, nobody knows it hasn’t got a Gardner engine, well they didn’t until Dan’l “grassed” you up eh! ■■■■ !, anyway what was the spec ? The two 401’s we ran had the 265LXC/Fuller 9509/Rockwell axle. I’m sad to have to say it but they were a couple of very decent and reliable motors. Cheers Dennis.

Hiya Dennis nay bother it turned heads when i overtook folk [emoji1303]
It was fitted with a ■■■■■■■ NT250 and a back to front Fuller box

Just checked out this Seddy on DVLA app,its sorned and Green :astonished:

Bewick:

gazsa401:

When I was restoring my Seddon Atkinson trying to get in to Rush Green for any spares or information was like trying to get an audience with the pope

Don’t worry about that “grass” Punchy Dan GAZ, nobody knows it hasn’t got a Gardner engine, well they didn’t until Dan’l “grassed” you up eh! [zb] !, anyway what was the spec ? The two 401’s we ran had the 265LXC/Fuller 9509/Rockwell axle. I’m sad to have to say it but they were a couple of very decent and reliable motors. Cheers Dennis.

The 320 Gardner i had in a Foden was one of the best motors i`ve ever had

i wanted a 5th wheel bedplate for my atki so I phoned rush green and said to bruv"have you got one?" he says "yes come down and have a look " i explained that I am in Lancashire so i needed a ball park figure before setting off and he says “how does £450 sound?” after picking myself up off the floor i said "about £400 too much! " he started getting very shirty so I hung up and made one myself.

I rented 2 step frames from rush green , one is in the photo. I had a ‘rush’ job into Belfast in 1982, the original haulier was going to ‘borrow’ Tingdenes low loader to do the job, right up until he went to pick it up and inadvertently told them where he was going. hence I spent a hectic few days between xmas and new year sourcing a couple of trailers. after this I ended up with them actually building me 2 special step frames to load the bungalows on , even down to having holes cut in the floor for the wheels to go though, extremely low and I think I had 40’ beds on them so around 52-55’ overall . when I picked them up , all the lights /legs/ mudflaps , in fact everything apart from the chassis was second hand.
oh the ERF had a gardner 240 in it (ex davis - corby nju196p)

atkiman:
i wanted a 5th wheel bedplate for my atki so I phoned rush green and said to bruv"have you got one?" he says "yes come down and have a look " i explained that I am in Lancashire so i needed a ball park figure before setting off and he says “how does £450 sound?” after picking myself up off the floor i said "about £400 too much! " he started getting very shirty so I hung up and made one myself.

Brilliant. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

35-ish years ago I wanted a spare engine for my Albion. I 'phoned another well-known commercial breaker of the day, took me several calls over several days before I got an answer. I got the answer “yes, I’ve got those here, I’m not always here so you’ll have to make an appointment” and was given a slot for 10am on Sunday. On the day, I got there on time, gates locked, waited for ages, a Range-Rover pulled up, bloke got out, smartly dressed, opened up and we went in. He took me to an engine that he’d obviously dragged out ready. It was a bigger capacity engine than mine, that wouldn’t have hurt if it hadn’t been for the fact that all the ancilliaries, projecting castings and engine mounting pads were smashed off. I told him it was no good, he said why didn’t I use the internals in mine, make one out of two, he only wanted £200 for it! (about 1980 remember!). I declined, told him I couldn’t use the internals as they were different. He said, “I know the one you want, got a good one here somewhere, I’ll give you a ring when I look it out.” “Can’t we look now,” says I. “Nah, I’m going home for my dinner, you’ll have to come back, tell you what though, I’ve got a radiator for yours over here.” So he did, it was one side casting, a top tank with the flange corroded off, a dodgy looking core, half a bottom casting and half a honeycomb, it had obviously been rolled around the yard for years with the engine. “What am I supposed to do with that” says I. “Make one out of two”. I gave up, gave him my 'phone number, never heard from him and never went back. A breed apart that lot!
Bernard

Not Rush Green but the same sort of set up, This one was at Cherstey, I went to look at a 8 wheeler Foden S36, When I got there & walked in there was this S36 at the front of his yard It was minus Headlights, Mirrors, & the alloy body was full of holes & big ones,& The floor was well gone, Anyway this guy comes over & says you must be the Geordie Geezer that phoned about the Foden, Well you have just walked passed It Havent you, I told you it was a good mowta didn’t I, so I told him he was right about being a Geordie, But I told him he was a Cockney Geeza that told porkies & walked out, He shouted after me that all these fakas from the Norf wanted next to new stuff for old stuff money. That was a wasted trip, Regards Larry.

albion1938:
A breed apart that lot! Bernard

Many of “that lot” have breaker’s yards as…shall we say… fronts for other activities. Ahem!

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
It’s not a Gardner Ramone it’s got a ■■■■■■■ in .

[zb] snitch Dan’l :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oxygen thief ! Ha .

image.jpeg

any one interested in a Rockwell Axle 6-1 ratio from under a 16 ton gross /1979 .i want the springs but then it can go .

leylandlover:
Just checked out this Seddy on DVLA app,its sorned and Green :astonished:

I never informed Swansea about the change of colour as I fitted a brand new cab as the original was beyond repair
I sorned it in March of this year as due to ill health I hadn’t been able to drive it since last September and was duly fined 80 quid for not re taxing it [emoji1304]

Sorry Gaz :blush:

It’s not just the likes of RGM that charge a fortune for what is essentially a pile of scrap metal. Many classifieds in the classic truck magazines are asking stupid money for rusting, twisted trucks that are pretty much unrestorable. A few grand for a ready to roll classic is reasonable, but a clapped out Ford Cargo horsebox with a tree growing through it? Then the vendor puts in the little footnote at the end “ill health forces sale” to get the violins playing.

Lawrence Dunbar:

ramone:
Its a nice position to be in , id love to have a wander round , be like a kid in a sweet shop :wink:

Aye, But with a sour reception Im afraid, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

There’s plenty of people with the opposite experience to that.

His business, his rules -

Imagine all the chancers that turn up there …

Muckaway:
It’s not just the likes of RGM that charge a fortune for what is essentially a pile of scrap metal. Many classifieds in the classic truck magazines are asking stupid money for rusting, twisted trucks that are pretty much unrestorable. A few grand for a ready to roll classic is reasonable, but a clapped out Ford Cargo horsebox with a tree growing through it? Then the vendor puts in the little footnote at the end “ill health forces sale” to get the violins playing.

I bought some stuff from Jon oldridges scrap yard ,you may know it ?

Punchy Dan:
I bought some stuff from Jon oldridges scrap yard ,you may know it ?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollrig … ay_station
A bit of history on the yards’ previous use, Dan. There was a rumour that an old Mickey Mouse Foden ex Smiths was stored near Hook Norton. I wonder if it was there?

I’ve been to his house too ,some interesting stuff amongst the Junk .