Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Buzzer:

alpine:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Talking about Gel On, Is he still with us ■■ Did see he sold out ? some wile ago to Turniski.
[/quote

No comprende, to who are you referring ?

Jock From Ocean Trailers , Used to sub fridge work out way back, 70 /80s you could pull his trailers but you would never get to drop it off ■■ You where only any good if you could work 25 hrs a day, Thought you may have come accross him in your travels lol, Fridge man from the Slough area maybe be Iver ?, His name escape me could be a good thing though at my age lol, His rates where Very Good at the time, but he thought you ran on Diesel so no time to spend it ? That was his saying if you were running out of time ? Just Gel On.

alpine:

Buzzer:

alpine:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Talking about Gel On, Is he still with us ■■ Did see he sold out ? some wile ago to Turniski.
[/quote

No comprende, to who are you referring ?

Jock From Ocean Trailers , Used to sub fridge work out way back, 70 /80s you could pull his trailers but you would never get to drop it off ■■ You where only any good if you could work 25 hrs a day, Thought you may have come accross him in your travels lol, Fridge man from the Slough area maybe be Iver ?, His name escape me could be a good thing though at my age lol, His rates where Very Good at the time, but he thought you ran on Diesel so no time to spend it ? That was his saying if you were running out of time ? Just Gel On.

It got the better of me after all these years i had to go a check it out.
Ocean Trailers were based at Iver Bucks,
And Jocks name was Michael McLuskey, Better known as Gel On lol that name i will never forget, or 25/8 ?

Right Alpine a bit of history for you on Ocean Trailers, started with Bill McLusky who originally had a business partner called Peter Millar and working out of Scotch, they had a disagreement and split and Bill moved South, we used to do loads for Bill he had a yoghourt job from France, (bang them up tight when loading dont let the Frogs do it else they all fall forward like a concertina) we know from experience. Anyways Peter Millar the ex partner went to Chippiona in Spain we believe to run the transport backloads for G & S. also from Scotland.
Bill & His wife came to see me once at our old house from where we ran our business, think just to suss us out anyways Bill has now passed and I am assuming his son is Michael who obviously carried on the firm which was eventually bought out by Turners and think still works for them.
Most of this info is from my son who remembers everything including inside leg measurements of everyone we have worked for in the past 50 and counting years, cheers Buzzer

By the way the term GEL ON originated at Davies International and all our trucks have GEL number plates right from the K plate and are retained some on there 5th new truck.

Buzzer:
Right Alpine a bit of history for you on Ocean Trailers, started with Bill McLusky who originally had a business partner called Peter Miller and working out of Scotch, they had a disagreement and split and Bill moved South, we used to do loads for Bill he had a yoghourt job from France, (bang them up tight when loading dont let the Frogs do it else they all fall forward like a concertina) we know from experience. Anyways Dave the ex partner went to Chippiona in Spain we believe to run the transport backloads for G & S. also from Scotland.
Bill & His wife came to see me once at our old house from where we ran our business, think just to suss us out anyways Bill has now passed and I am assuming his son is Michael who obviously carried on the firm which was eventually bought out by Turners and think still works for them. from the K plate and are retained some on there 5th new truck.

Thanks John, for the insite to Ocean Trailers, Thought you would have come across them on you travels.
As you say it was Bill in the early days, ( a long wile ago now)
Looks like he nicked the Gel On saying from you then, I have noticed for many years you use GEL on your number plates, Maybe he never asked you to Gel On. other wise you would have sust who i was on about lol

They where the days or where they ■■ its nice when you look back, not everone is about to do that now though.
All the Very Best, Happy New Year to all at Davies International, stay safe,

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Ahh…But…
Ill bet that isnt wine going in the tank there. I`d wager that is SOPAGLY and grape juice is going in.
No photos of my own but from this streetview, you can just see the same walls, and same gantry going across.
Spent far too many hours there on a Friday morning queuing up with half of the food tankers in Europe.
google.com/maps/@42.7914882 … ?entry=ttu
But I do agree, the wine tanks were mostly good work. :smiley:

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Ahh…But…
Ill bet that isnt wine going in the tank there. I`d wager that is SOPAGLY and grape juice is going in.
No photos of my own but from this streetview, you can just see the same walls, and same gantry going across.
Spent far too many hours there on a Friday morning queuing up with half of the food tankers in Europe.
google.com/maps/@42.7914882 … ?entry=ttu
But I do agree, the wine tanks were mostly good work. :smiley:

Your probably correct there Fg, that truck was the last one I drove before retiring to the office on a permanent basis but it was two tone blue by then. My accountant at the time told me we had to have ten trucks on the road before I could give up driving and thats what happened, after that we had a few subbies & also expanded with more of our own. IIRC most drivers filled those 20ft iso tanks to capacity even though over weight there was no end slop on breaking and they invariably never had to tip them in the UK either, good days though, Buzzer

I’ve been looking at old post on here and yet to find a thread on John Davies So’ton.

Before I go on is there a thread? .

Contract driver, Hi, I’ve read your other post on PJK, How are you?.
Any body else used to work for Busby on here.?

I spoke to Jockey the other day and he was going to look at the site, but I can imagine a lot of the guys who worked there around 1994 - 97, the time I worked for them, are" not wired up right". Or on day release and are forbidden from the using Internet. :laughing: Bye Bye, NOW. Paul.[/img]

Hello Paul, i never actually worked for Buzzer but i see a few of the lads about that did around the time u mentioned, A load of them are on container work out of Soton, Such as Tony Mapson, Quazzy, Steve Holland, Steve Mabey, Shirley, Just a few to mention. Tony’s brother Keith Mapson is still on for Buzzer now. All flash and no cash he he.

Now then mate, I know a fella called Eric Delusie who worked for busby, he finished for them in early 2005 and is a LGV driving instructor in Warrington.

I know there was some cracking fellas who work for them in the 90’s but forgotten them by name.

hi there mr paul who…hows it going there mate ?/i still see some of the old boys around the docks in soton… nice to hear from you shag after all these’s years…ian aka chip

i always remember passing thier yard opposite lorraines in southampton and i remember when they got those globetrotters and xf’s new and im astounded to see they are still running the volvo’s.

Have a look at this

daviesinternational.co.uk/

Regards Pat

Have they still got that f89 that he did up afew years back ■■? he was
apparently sending it to europe on jobs ■■

hi deanb
the lod f89 sadley was sold on to an owner-driver whom subbied for c&b haulage at the time, as far as i know he stilll has it , wether it just dose shows now im not entirley sure … but she was a nice bit of kit i drove it a few times on davies. and yes buzzer usrd to send it abroad ever week and there was never a problem with it at all.

ianburns:
hi deanb
the lod f89 sadley was sold on to an owner-driver whom subbied for c&b haulage at the time, as far as i know he stilll has it , wether it just dose shows now im not entirley sure … but she was a nice bit of kit i drove it a few times on davies. and yes buzzer usrd to send it abroad ever week and there was never a problem with it at all.

Cheers Ian,yeah i remember an article in one of the truckings mags years
ago showing it ,looked a real beauty. :smiley:

Tony the Tart used to drive the old girl, when he used to go to Europe no matter the distance the truck always turned up looking spotless.
He used to get up and polish her before having breakfast. I’m sure he used to kiss her good night as well… His poor wife Anita must of felt put out a bit.

I remember one year John put her in Truck fest at Shepton Mallet, she was cleaned and sparkling right down to the wheel nuts. Next to her was a full history of the euro work she done with photos, in fact I think she just came back from Bosnia, But the judge never gave her any commendation. They past on by and were dazeled by some brand new FH with 10 miles on the clock.

Chip, I’m fine thanks, and you. It would be nice for a few guys could post a picture or two.

got a truck on trial of theres an fh and xf i think also got the article about the old f88 will dig them out and post them up if its of any intrest :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Would you believe it, I’ve been watching the “old southampton hauliers” thread for a mention of buzzer and I come back from holiday to find he has his very own thread.

I worked for John and his boys between 1997 and 2000.

I started when the fleet was at it’s largest with around 30 odd units and by the time I left it was down to around 22. I believe it’s now around 16.

It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I’ve ever had with plenty of variety of scenery.

At the time I started there was plenty of army work to croatia/bosnia so you tended to ship out with that and then once tipped make ur way back into the EU and head for the fruit.

I’ve got loads of photos but they all need scanning in so I’ll try and put some up in the near future.

Cheers
Neilf

that f88/89 was owned by paul parris on with c&b he then sold it to he payne who restored and can be seen at many a truckshow .when davis first bought it it was yellow with murals of the desert and camals on either side