Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Did Wrighty get a new trailer ? I might be mistaken but I think I seen his old one for sale on ebay ? Come on get the pics up

Andrew your pickled eggs and shallot’s are in the office now awaiting your collection, don’t forget to return the empty jars please as they aint cheap see the Boss for dispatching. Delivered today and also a big jar in the rest room for general consumption, took me pickup to the yard this morning for MOT at K2 carriages round the back after PD washed her off subject to no frozen water so awaiting the result with interest.
Its still very cold outside so what snow remains is not thawing at present so still hanging around, had a look in me diary for last year and on the 3rd of April we planted spuds and beetroot but cannot see that happening this year. The 6 ton of FYM we spread on the plot in November has been well and truly sorted by the chicken firking and scratching it about and with the frosts and rain it has broken down nicely. Of to Salisbury tomozz as some good stores entered, cheers Buzzer.

Not all the time I was at the helm of DIT did I have to deal with a fatal accident, crashes yes a few along the way, any ways a week ago Tuesday in Cornwall one of ours had the misfortune to be involved in such an accident with no other vehicles involved. The police attended the scene and confirmed a 28 year old male was indeed dead having been struck by the truck after running from the cover on the left and even though all our trucks are all LHD and was approaching a roundabout the driver had no chance to take avoiding action, the man was known to the police but we don’t know in what circumstances this was. The driver was released within three hours with the removal of phones from truck and driver, they found the young mans car on top of a bridge nearby and all things at the moment point to a suicide but that has not been confirmed. The police were concerned the driver may suffer from shock and were very kind in bringing him up to Exeter where we had arranged onward transport to take him home.
The trailer was released with its perishable load but the truck is still impounded and we have been informed it wont be released at the earliest on Wednesday next week as they are waiting for a VOSA inspection, it was serviced the weekend before the Tuesday by Scania.
My point being how is it proper for VOSA to react so slowly and take two weeks to inspect, we have lost valuable earning capability during this fortnight with no redress what so ever and I just wondered if any one else had suffered a similar situation, my lads a worried about having a go as they feel it may aggravate the situation and prolong it further. look forward to hearing of any similar circumstances any of you may have had. Buzzer.

26814820_1649275631797969_936935169885757185_n (4).jpg

Buzzer:
Not all the time I was at the helm of DIT did I have to deal with a fatal accident, crashes yes a few along the way, any ways a week ago Tuesday in Cornwall one of ours had the misfortune to be involved in such an accident with no other vehicles involved. The police attended the scene and confirmed a 28 year old male was indeed dead having been struck by the truck after running from the cover on the left and even though all our trucks are all LHD and was approaching a roundabout the driver had no chance to take avoiding action, the man was known to the police but we don’t know in what circumstances this was. The driver was released within three hours with the removal of phones from truck and driver, they found the young mans car on top of a bridge nearby and all things at the moment point to a suicide but that has not been confirmed. The police were concerned the driver may suffer from shock and were very kind in bringing him up to Exeter where we had arranged onward transport to take him home.
The trailer was released with its perishable load but the truck is still impounded and we have been informed it wont be released at the earliest on Wednesday next week as they are waiting for a VOSA inspection, it was serviced the weekend before the Tuesday by Scania.
My point being how is it proper for VOSA to react so slowly and take two weeks to inspect, we have lost valuable earning capability during this fortnight with no redress what so ever and I just wondered if any one else had suffered a similar situation, my lads a worried about having a go as they feel it may aggravate the situation and prolong it further. look forward to hearing of any similar circumstances any of you may have had. Buzzer.

Buzzer, awful for everyone involved and my thoughts and likely most on here are with your driver and the deceased mans family and friends. Something we all fear being involved in but know it can happen anywhen and anywhere and a very small consolation your guy was in the UK at the time. Given your last lines yes along with VOSA the Police need to look at how long they close roads after accidents as now with drones they can quickly get them up in the air to photograph the whole scene and reopen roads.

Sadly deceased but the guy will of died from running infront of the truck not any issue with the truck but as we all know on these pages blame culture and disrespect for drivers and hauliers follows our industry like a bad smell, I hope your man and DIT pick yourselves up quickly and move on from this. Even if he’d run out in front of a dodgy haulier it’s still running out that killed him.

Regards
Mike

Morning all,
I echo your remarks Mark, well said, best thing Buzzer is to let it take its course and when all is done, that is the time to rattle the cage re losses.
Please tell your driver that a lot of people on Truck net are wishing him well. Harvey

Well Buzzer I can very much relate to what you’ve told us. When as a bus driver in Oxford in 1960 I had a similar incident happen to me approaching a roundabout(slowing down) on a housing estate, saw this woman stood on the edge of the kerb with back to the roadway, thought a bit weird, took my eyes off her to look right for traffic, eyes back and there she was right in front of my bus staring at me, bang down she went. I jumped out, can still feel the rubbery legs now, she was knocked backwards away from the bus and out cold, my clippie ran to the nearest phone box which was a matter of yards away. police and ambulance called. It was near a parade of shops and fortunately witnesses were quick to offer statements to the police. A policeman took the bus away and I was grounded for a couple of days, the woman spent some time in hospital with a full recovery later. Initially her family pursued damages(driving without due care and attention) from the bus company, TGWU took over my defence and a good job they did with access to medical records and a history of mental instability, this being the second time that the woman had stepped off the kerb in front of a moving vehicle. I can empathise with your driver and hope that he recovers from such a traumatic accident and not forgetting the family of the deceased and their loss.
Oily

Think this is going to need a bit of work before haymaking starts, Buzzer.

29571087_2033862676831253_2582349112257115326_n (2).jpg

Buzzer:

I don’t think it will take too much to get going Buzzer.

A wire brush. A lick of paint. A drop of Redex down the ports

A bit of wind in the tyres and away you go! Sounds simple eh?

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

Buzzer:

I don’t think it will take too much to get going Buzzer.

A wire brush. A lick of paint. A drop of Redex down the ports

A bit of wind in the tyres and away you go! Sounds simple eh?

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie you must know a good fetler by the sounds of things, wind in the tyres eh, what friggin tyres Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer and wrighty, taking orders now for this eco friendly bale wrapper :sunglasses: :laughing: .
Oily

Got the eggs & chalots John thanks was home last weekend so got fish n chips round corner(a rare treat these days) on Friday night,myself & war office thoroughly enjoyed em & still a few left lol once again thank you & don’t worry will bring jars back suppose I better put a pic or two up & earn me eggs now lol
Cheers Andrew

Loaded pears other week in Holland & delivered to Kent think may of put a similar pic of Kent up a couple of years ago as it’s a very awkward door to get on

oiltreader:
Hi Buzzer and wrighty, taking orders now for this eco friendly bale wrapper :sunglasses: :laughing: .
Oily

Evening Oily

Where do we book em, might not be for a while as we are struggling to walk on the land nevermind wrap bales… Busy up ere lambing sheep and praying we don’t get another dose of the white stuff this weekend.

Cheers wrighty.

WP_20180326_001.jpg

WP_20180327_001.jpg

Bit of r&r in Habay,Belgium en route Germany [attachment=0]1DA2305A-0A14-466F-A68D-A0C99A1B4984.jpeg[/attachment]

What some people do for a jar of your eggs JD actually caught Trevor in the act of working & on a Monday too lol
FC70B18E-9A72-42E3-B990-118ADFD17695.jpeg

Last few in Tracy Island Monday morning
6238DA38-0F06-4A87-ACA4-FDB35742C852.jpeg

Good start to week picked up a bolt Friday luckily got away with just a plug!!
EE886D7B-F098-4C25-8935-B15FA047E8FB.jpeg

wrighty:

oiltreader:
Oily

Evening Oily

Where do we book em, might not be for a while as we are struggling to walk on the land nevermind wrap bales… Busy up ere lambing sheep and praying we don’t get another dose of the white stuff this weekend.

Cheers wrighty.

Wrighty, your pic of the wide load reminded me of a trip to Riyadh from Dammam in another century and another world. I hated wide loads, but a few of us o/ds loaded 10’ wide boxes (yes, I know, not even very wide) off the port and headed for Riyadh. This would be about 1978/79, so I don’t remember the contents.

Having sat behind a long nose 1418 Merc, loaded with 40 tons of cement in massive 2 ton bags, sagging over the side of his trailer, doing about 45mph, for what seemed like forever, I finally saw a long enough gap in the oncoming traffic to overtake. Everything forward and trust in the Lord, my 230 (or whatever it was ) Saviem hurtled forward and alongside him.

Because everybody overloaded and the tarmac was always hot, the single carriageway had developed grooves like the inside lane of the M6 back in the day. As I was alongside him, these grooves momentarily pulled us together, my forward momentum causing the front box on my truck to tear his sagging cement bag, collected several hundred kilos of cement powder and a second later deposited it through his open cab window and all over the Indian driver.

We both pulled over into the desert. He looked like a little flour grader, covered head to toe in cement powder. His cab was deep in it. Not a happy Indian! I gave him 600 riyals, all I had on me, about £100 and probably as much as he earned in a month, and he calmed down.

When I got back to Dammam and told the lads, Geoff Collins, these 40 years later a Teesside multimillionaire, about it, he said ‘I’ll tell you what he’d have got from me John, the back end of my trailer disappearing down the road.’ But then, with Geoff, every pound was a prisoner!

Happy days.

John

Wrighty I know what you mean wiv the rain, every time it dries up a bit and my thoughts turn to a spot of harrowing and rolling it either snows or rains and it makes it too wet suppose we will get there in the end but a long time coming, you must be another notch down the line now yungen is about suspect the hat is a little large but them sprogs grow quick.
Went to Salisbury market with four small steers on Tuesday and as usuall they never quite made what i wanted, some good stock there but what a price they made, mine were the youngest and smallest out of a bunch of 16 but its made the 12 left look more even. Pigs to butcher after Easter weekend so busy coming up, free range egg sales good and a job to keep up with demand so not all bad.
The truck that has been impounded after the fatal accident two weeks ago still has not been released and we are now into the third week which i think is very unfair, VOSA were suposed to look at it today but no news as of yet.
Went to the yard today and noticed that me pickled eggs must be quite popular as the half gallon jar was nearly empty so better get some more done, cheers Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

We know what you mean Buzzer it was starting to dry up ere Saturday to Monday was dry and frosty at night, and then a mornings rain on Wednesday and it’s a bog again. At least it’s not too cold so the lambs seem to be coping well at the moment, fingers crossed that we don’t get the white stuff over the weekend we had a covering on the hill tops today but luckily it dissapeared as quickly as it came…
The time that VOSA are taking with your truck is a joke, they obviously know that you need it for your business so why drag their heels with the inspection. You could understand it if the circumstances of the incident were unexplainable but it appears they have a good idea it was suicide so you would think it should speed up the process.
Hope you get it back soon…

Cheers Wrighty.

wrighty:
Evening Buzzer

We know what you mean Buzzer it was starting to dry up ere Saturday to Monday was dry and frosty at night, and then a mornings rain on Wednesday and it’s a bog again. At least it’s not too cold so the lambs seem to be coping well at the moment, fingers crossed that we don’t get the white stuff over the weekend we had a covering on the hill tops today but luckily it dissapeared as quickly as it came…
The time that VOSA are taking with your truck is a joke, they obviously know that you need it for your business so why drag their heels with the inspection. You could understand it if the circumstances of the incident were unexplainable but it appears they have a good idea it was suicide so you would think it should speed up the process.
Hope you get it back soon…

Cheers Wrighty.

Driver on his way today to pick up the truck after VOSA went right through it with no faults at all, the phones all cleared as well, onwards and upwards, Buzzer.