Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

NEJ:
But the question is one of is it a requirement to have a fire extinguisher in the cab / on the vehicle if you are not on ADR duties?

Hi NEJ, The truthful answer to your question about ‘general’ work is that I don’t know the answer. :frowning:

I think there’s no requirement for a fire-extinguisher, but that’s very much a gut feeling on my part.

But the question is one of is it a requirement to have a fire extinguisher in the cab / on the vehicle if you are not on ADR duties?

Probably dependant on a risk assessment if nothing is written in law

ok time to pick your brains, at work they have a western diesel bowser, which will hold 1000 liters, I pick it up with the hiab and go round and fill up the machines on site, when I did my ADR course I was told that up to 1000 liters of diesel was considerd outside ADR, you might tell me differnt in a minute, so my question is, when I have the bowser on do I still have to have my orange square’s out :question:

thanks for your time…

AXE MAN:
ok time to pick your brains, at work they have a western diesel bowser, which will hold 1000 liters, I pick it up with the hiab and go round and fill up the machines on site, when I did my ADR course I was told that up to 1000 liters of diesel was considerd outside ADR, you might tell me differnt in a minute, so my question is, when I have the bowser on do I still have to have my orange square’s out :question:

thanks for your time…

Hi AXE MAN,

:open_mouth: OMG, not bowsers again. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :wink:

There are two types of things that people call a “bowser,” and folks frequently get them confused.

Here’s one type of bowser:

This one counts as a tanker because the tank is fixed to the trailer chassis AND exceeds 1,000ltrs and therefore needs an ADR tanker licence and tanker markings to drive it on the roads.

Fortunately for you, you mentioned that you pick up your bowser with a HIAB, so that’s helpful. :smiley:
I have to assume that your ‘bowser’ counts as an IBC for ADR purposes, so if that’s true, you are correct to say that the limit is 1,000ltrs without the need for an ADR licence for packages. (An IBC counts as a package)

You haven’t mentioned how many ‘bowsers’ you carry on a vehicle at one time, so I’ll have to say that if you have just 1 X 1,000ltr IBC on board, you’re exempt from 99% of ADR. However, you don’t get a complete walk from ADR’s requirements, because you do THEN need just 1 X 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher. If you load more than one of those bowsers, then ADR applies in full.

Now you know the ADR limit for Diesel carried in packages, the vehicle marking requirements and all the other requirements all kick-in at the same time.

:bulb: Just to avoid any possible confusion, the safe space (ullage) allowed above the liquid in the IBC doesn’t count, nor does the size of the bund, if your IBC is of the bunded type.

BTW, What you’re calling “orange squares” are properly called ‘orange coloured plates.’ :wink:
The size of an orange coloured plate is 40cm X 30cm (width X height,) so they can’t be called a “square.” :wink:

Is my guess that your bowser is an IBC correct please??

Am I right in thinking that unless this load is going to travel through two or more ADR Member States then it only needs to comply with the UK Domestic Regulations and not ADR Regulations ?

Deathstar:
Am I right in thinking that unless this load is going to travel through two or more ADR Member States then it only needs to comply with the UK Domestic Regulations and not ADR Regulations ?

Since 1st July 2009 the regulations are so closely aligned that CDG is almost superseded by ADR. About the only difference in the UK is we still use the old multiple hazard warning panel rather than the kemler board.

ADR is the name of the agreement in all member states and about 40 more countries including Russia. We may as well use a single system.

European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road

Cue Dave with the proper wording, but if a French or Belgium builder wanted to build you a house in England, the fuel he brought over for his machinery would be carried under ADR if he had a helicopter as well :laughing:

In all cases the driver has to carry a valid ADR certificate, not a CDG ticket

I was being pedantic and testing my memory from a recent ADR Course and I am aware of the similarity of regulations but as things stand this load only needs to comply with UK Domestic Regulations,one being that its driver must carry his ADR Licence.

Deathstar:

Hi Deathstar, Yes mate, that’s correct the way you’ve written it. :smiley:

Deathstar:
I was being pedantic and testing my memory from a recent ADR Course and I am aware of the similarity of regulations but as things stand this load only needs to comply with UK Domestic Regulations,one being that its driver must carry his ADR Licence.

Hi Deathstar, A driver carrying a load which is subject to Regs needs an ADR licence with him for either set of Regs.

As Malc says, CDG and ADR are very nearly aligned.
One of the big differences is the way that tankers are marked.

Wheel Nut:

Deathstar:

Since 1st July 2009 the regulations are so closely aligned that CDG is almost superseded by ADR. About the only difference in the UK is we still use the old multiple hazard warning panel rather than the kemler board.

ADR is the name of the agreement in all member states and about 40 more countries including Russia. We may as well use a single system.

European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road

Cue Dave with the proper wording, but if a French or Belgium builder wanted to build you a house in England, the fuel he brought over for his machinery would be carried under ADR if he had a helicopter as well :laughing:

In all cases the driver has to carry a valid ADR certificate, not a CDG ticket

TBH Malc, I can’t really add anything to that. :wink:

Just to show that I’m doing my job… :grimacing:
The ADR agreement has all EU Sates as members, plus 18 others making a total of 45.

Deathstar:

Hi Deathstar, Yes mate, you have it correct. :smiley:
That’s because it’s a UK domestic journey, so UK tank vehicle markings are used as per CDG 2009 in my pic above.

IF it were an international journey (under ADR,) the tank vehicle markings for carrying Diesel fuel would be quite different:
(UN 1202 = Diesel.)

FRONT

SIDE (Both sides must be marked with just a placard.)

REAR

hey dave, thanks for the info, your correct it’s a 1000l IBC, my bad, and yes, I only carry the one at any time, but the lorry is fully riged up for ADR loads, the orange plates I have, which are fixed to the front and back, are the fold up ones, thats why I wonderd if even tho I was outside ADR with just the one 1000l diesel IBC on board, when I lift it on, it sits inside the buck of the lorry, so you cant see any of the warning signs on it, hence if I was surposed to have my orange plates on show…

AXE MAN:
hey dave, thanks for the info, your correct it’s a 1000l IBC, my bad, and yes, I only carry the one at any time, but the lorry is fully riged up for ADR loads, the orange plates I have, which are fixed to the front and back, are the fold up ones, thats why I wonderd if even tho I was outside ADR with just the one 1000l diesel IBC on board, when I lift it on, it sits inside the buck of the lorry, so you cant see any of the warning signs on it, hence if I was surposed to have my orange plates on show…

Hi AXE MAN, Many thanks for the extra info. :smiley:

No mate, you don’t need the orange plates (nor an ADR licence) if you just carry one 1,000ltr IBC of Diesel. The fact that you can’t see the UN Class 3 warning labels (2) on the IBC makes no difference in this instance.
You just need the one small fire extinguisher that I mentioned above.

A UN Class 3 warning label:

cheers dave, thats been bugging me, I have the fire extinguisher, so alls good, thanks again for your time :smiley:

AXE MAN:
cheers dave, thats been bugging me, I have the fire extinguisher, so alls good, thanks again for your time :smiley:

Hi AXE MAN, Then let it bug you no longer mate!! :grimacing:

Isn’t it a good feeling when you know that you’re legal eh?? :wink:

Hi
I loaded the other day with approx 9 ton of oily water, the section had a un number on it and the component was cable oil less than 1%.
as I dont hold an adr yet I phoned the office and was told due to the amount of hazardous component I was fine to carry it, is this correct?
cheers
Rob

wood73:
the section had a un number on it

I’m going to guess one of DDs questions - what was the UN number?

sorry it was un 3082, hazard codes h4,h5

wood73:
sorry it was un 3082, hazard codes h4,h5

Hi wood73, I’d like to ask whether we’re talking about UN 3082 being carried in packages or in a tanker please.

Thanks for the UN number. :smiley:

it was a tanker, in all honesty, it was 99.999% water with a few 5p size blobs on top.