Daily Vehicle Check "It was OK yesterday!"

I was thinking only the other day about professional drivers and how often they carry out walk round checks when I saw a driving school car with only one headlight.
Bernard

I neglected to do a walk round check once. Got out of my cab at one of my drops and noticed I had a wheel nut & stud missing on the front O/S :open_mouth: That was an awkward call to the office… “I could have sworn it was OK when I did my checks”.

Lesson learnt & never again.

I pulled a 1 inch long screw out my off side drive tyre last week. You have to check these things every day.

Terry T:
I pulled a 1 inch long screw out my off side drive tyre last week. You have to check these things every day.

I only pull screws out of tyres when I am in the yard or near a tyrehouse, although I have used a few self tappers to get me home with a slow puncture

I’m always shocked by this kinda subject.
Why do some drivers totally refuse to do a DWRC??
Why do some drivers only carry them out occasionally?
Why do some drivers only carry out a brief DWRC?
Some, on the other hand, carry out a full DWRC, daily, lasting 10-15 mins. and report any defects as they are found, either on DWRC or subsequently during the shift. Well done if you are in this category!!

It is a major condition of every O licence that adequate time is allowed for a driver to carry out a full DWRC and this time should be scheduled into their working day. So why not do them? And why not take the allotted time to do them - even if you are 110% sure nothing is wrong. Take your time…Are we in that much of a rush to get the wheels turning? I can’t get my head round it - especially those on hourly pay!!!

Daz1970:
I’m always shocked by this kinda subject.
Why do some drivers totally refuse to do a DWRC??
Why do some drivers only carry them out occasionally?
Why do some drivers only carry out a brief DWRC?
Some, on the other hand, carry out a full DWRC, daily, lasting 10-15 mins. and report any defects as they are found, either on DWRC or subsequently during the shift. Well done if you are in this category!!

It is a major condition of every O licence that adequate time is allowed for a driver to carry out a full DWRC and this time should be scheduled into their working day. So why not do them? And why not take the allotted time to do them - even if you are 110% sure nothing is wrong. Take your time…Are we in that much of a rush to get the wheels turning? I can’t get my head round it - especially those on hourly pay!!!

It does get done, but it gets done throughout the day, walking round the vehicle whilst tipping will show up more defects or future failures than any done in the dark in a yard. Yes tyres and lights should be kicked, load security and fifth wheel checked, but other things can be picked up later in the day, especially if you are on the same vehicle, for a week or a fortnight.

We do a first/last parade of the vehicles daily.
And most drivers still do it again when they drive a vehicle.
If you sign for it & it breaks down you are covered for when the brown stuff hits the fan!!!
Yes it might take 10minutes but it could save you life!!!

Wheel Nut:
It does get done, but it gets done throughout the day, walking round the vehicle whilst tipping will show up more defects or future failures than any done in the dark in a yard. Yes tyres and lights should be kicked, load security and fifth wheel checked, but other things can be picked up later in the day, especially if you are on the same vehicle, for a week or a fortnight.

You kick your lights? How does that help them work properly? :laughing:

Rhythm Thief:

Wheel Nut:

You kick your lights? How does that help them work properly? :laughing:

Copper, said, now kick your tax disc, see if it works, that is expired too. :laughing:

i check last thing at night and 1st thing am and any other time i mm just sitting about or when i mm fueling up it only takes a short time but might just save you a whole lot of bother

bjd:
i check last thing at night and 1st thing am and any other time i mm just sitting about or when i mm fueling up it only takes a short time but might just save you a whole lot of bother i check the dog clip and pin every time i leave the unit and trailer unattended

theres some pih being spouted here.
what about the one that said "nothins gonna happen at night to his waggon "
thats why it does need a check as some theivin B,stard is going to have lid off tank or any attempt to remove anything at all, bolted on or not.
iv done it all my life and i know best attitude.

It’s common sense really. Although whilst checking today my boss asked why I was checking it as I was the only one on it yesterday. Yesterday I got in it and someone had coupled the trailer but no lines or wound legs up. Good job I check

I do my daily check for about 15 minutes every day. I also check the lorry over while tipping.

Once I actually start on tippers I’ll go back to my 5 minute check every tip. Clean off tailboard clean off lights check tyres and the like.

It’s time I’m being paid for and it’s no hardship.

Yeah it’s a ball ache if it’s raining but it’s not something I’d miss