daily rest

I always thought that taking 9 hours rest was at the drivers discretion. I have, and always will refuse to take a 9 hour rest at home. Its a bit different if the rest would be 10hrs 59min. But having 9 actual hours from the point you get in your car to go home, then getting back in work the next shift is not some thing I do.

I point blank refuse to take reduced rests unless I’m kipping in the wagon. Commuting, plus getting chilled out at home eats enough time as it is, I would never be fit to drive like that.

Now I take quite a few 9 hour rests in my current job, because I can park up, pull my card, close the curtains, and go to bed. Total commute time, 30 seconds.

And have you ever found that you feel more awake when you get home than you were when you got out of the wagon? Messes with you trying to get to sleep that does…

number 1 are they asking you to reduce or telling you
if there telling you theirs only one answer the second word is off

if they ask and you can do it legally and safely thats ok

nines in the truck fine. at home never ever not in a million yours
and why because they wouldnt do it. why should you

Argos MP max day 12. min off 12. work is scheduled around that

For all you drivers who say “I refuse to take nine off when at home”

Think to yourself, are there other drivers in this company that would take 9 off to help out the boss? During these hard times where companys are shutting down left right and centre I know I would and do shut up and do what I’m told. I always help out the boss and it shows because I have been home since 5am this morning instead of working till something like 2pm. There was work there but he let me run in, drop the trailer and sod off for the weekend.

Just think what’s going through the TM’s mind when he’s having to rearrange all sorts of work because you refuse to help him out by not taking a legal 9. I’m sure he could sack you and find someone out there desperate for a job and who is more than willing to reduce left right and centre. Or if they need to get rid of a driver because it’s quiet I’m sure I know who I would get rid of!

Steve-o:

Think to yourself, are there other drivers in this company that would take 9 off to help out the boss? During these hard times where companys are shutting down left right and centre I know I would and do shut up and do what I’m told. I always help out the boss and it shows because I have been home since 5am this morning instead of working till something like 2pm. There was work there but he let me run in, drop the trailer and sod off for the weekend.

Just think what’s going through the TM’s mind when he’s having to rearrange all sorts of work because you refuse to help him out by not taking a legal 9. I’m sure he could sack you and find someone out there desperate for a job and who is more than willing to reduce left right and centre. Or if they need to get rid of a driver because it’s quiet I’m sure I know who I would get rid of!

BUT - the question…
would you drive tired to please the boss :question: :question: :question:

This helps the boss how? If you live 5 mins down the road, sure, but for those who have a long commute? You turn up at work exhausted, and unfit to work, which is illegal, and if he’s pushed you to do it, it will reflect on his o licence if you get pulled.
It would depend on the boss, on the job, and on the length of the commute. But round here, 90% of the work is 30-45 minutes drive away, which makes it effectively impossible to get a decent rest on a 9.

ROG:

Steve-o:

BUT - the question…

Do you really know any driver who hasn’t driven whilst tired at some point in his/her life, tired doesn’t necessarily mean going to sleep at the wheel.

ROG:
BUT - the question…

BUT the original post said nothing about being tired - only whether or not they can make you reduce your rest.

Since the scenario excists in law where you can reduce your rest to 9 hours this should be a consideration when taking a job; you may need/be asked to do it if within the law and reasonable.

If you feel too tired to drive following a reduced rest it is up to you to ensure that you do not drive until you are fit, but your boss may well feel the need to discipline you for failing to do your job.

I find the whole thing regarding drivers hours regulations ridiculous.

The haulage industry is so varied, some sleep in their cabs, some commute each day, some need 5-6 hours kip some need 8-9 hours.

So why have regulations which may suit one driver but not another, they may suit one haulier but not another.

We are all individuals, so why have blankett regulations instead of a more flexible approach?

Many times i’ve been messed about with a reload and the trailer must get to the dock for the boat, i can’t stop for food as i’ll be over my spread. wheres the safety in that?

Why are some drivers putting themselves in the position where an employer feels he has to tell the driver what rest to take? sounds odd to me.
Is it the case that the employer thinks the driver needs to hold his hand?
If it is then that driver would be a burden to the company and should be replaced by a proper driver.
Although the employer could of had a lot of knobs who preach the rules 24/7 in the past, he could have become accustomed to thinking all his drivers are knobs until they prove otherwise.

tachograph:

ROG:

Steve-o:

BUT - the question…

Do you really know any driver who hasn’t driven whilst tired at some point in his/her life, tired doesn’t necessarily mean going to sleep at the wheel.

To start the shift tired and to then get more tired as the day goes on is a little different to starting wide awake and then getting a little tired later in the shift

limeyphil:
I find the whole thing regarding drivers hours regulations ridiculous.

The haulage industry is so varied, some sleep in their cabs, some commute each day, some need 5-6 hours kip some need 8-9 hours.

So why have regulations which may suit one driver but not another, they may suit one haulier but not another.

We are all individuals, so why have blankett regulations instead of a more flexible approach?

Many times i’ve been messed about with a reload and the trailer must get to the dock for the boat, i can’t stop for food as i’ll be over my spread. wheres the safety in that?

Why are some drivers putting themselves in the position where an employer feels he has to tell the driver what rest to take? sounds odd to me.
Is it the case that the employer thinks the driver needs to hold his hand?
If it is then that driver would be a burden to the company and should be replaced by a proper driver.
Although the employer could of had a lot of knobs who preach the rules 24/7 in the past, he could have become accustomed to thinking all his drivers are knobs until they prove otherwise.

Stop it now… YOUR MAKING FAR TOO MUCH SENSE!

limeyphil:

How is it odd ? Maybe if your tramping or doing certain types of work it is down to the driver to arrange breaks etc… i agree with you.

Dayshift job ive had start at 8am every morning, somtimes at the end of the shift after 15 hours, boss askes can you come in tomorow morning at 5am. A lot of jobs are like that where they want people to be flexable and start at different than normal times, so it does come down to the boss having to ask you to take a reduced daily break.