Daf MX engine

Krybo,

While I never pretend to know it all, I do have a good idea of the fundamentals of the diesel engine. In my opinion SCR is the best thing to happen to a diesel engine since Euro 1 emission levels were introduced, since Euro 1, injection timings etc have been manipulated to reduce emissions, because of this fuel economy & performance have suffered, so the engine boffins have been hard at work trying to get decent efficiency from these strangled engines & they’ve done a pretty good job, now that SCR has been added the manufacturers can use all the technological advances made to tailor the engine to perform at its optimum level & not worry about emissions as the SCR aftertreatment takes care of that. it’s pretty much a win win situation.

Well then we seem to agree about reasons of SCR being good thing. I just thought to bring this up as not all seem to realize EGR being “bad” and in your post you were talking also about new EGR only engines still in development.

I have driven a XF 105 460 from new and it has now got 160,000km on the clock,it is fitted with 1200l diesel tanks and a 60l adblue tank, from when it was new it used about 50l of adblue for 1000l of diesel,at 70,000km this went upto 70l/1000l diesel.a commen problem with the DAf adblue system is the “doseirung Modul” took about 30min to change costs 80euros and im back down to 50l adblue
I was told in our workshop adblue freezes at -11c,and when it freezes the adblue system shuts down,the engine loses no power but runs with euro 3 emssions
geoff

I spoke to a fella last night about the mx engine’s,he said they are very troublesome-and not a s good as the older model.
His company run 60 Daf truck’s here in Ireland so i took his remark as fact.

ellies dad:
I spoke to a fella last night about the mx engine’s,he said they are very troublesome-and not a s good as the older model.

Thanks for that, I have looked into this SCR thing quite a lot recently & i’m bloody glad it isn’t me buying a new lorry, that’s a complicated system in it’s most basic form, over here it will run in conjunction with EGR & a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) it’s about 10 grands worth of parts when it all goes boss eyed.

The current line of thinking is to get a Glider Kit, there are a few companies that remanufacture older pre emission engines to a very high standard, this way my bosses can keep their beloved Peterbilts & have the Detoit engine to boot, ordinarily a Glider is worth 2 balloons & a Goldfish when it comes to residuals, but the older engines achieved far better fuel economy & were more reliable than their more modern versions so the situation is changing & at 150000 miles per year the fuel savings alone will more than compensate for any loss in resale value.

ellies dad:

A bit of a daft statement really

the new Daf MX engine has all the cyliners head and leaking gaskets problems solved , has a lower fuel consumption than the previous model, the problems concerning the reverse gear on the automatic have been eliminated and in general the whole cabin is far more comfortable, so how the hell can it be not so good ■■?.

We do tests for DAF and have had an MX running now in our swapover system where the vehicle runs day night and does an average of 350,000 kms a year using 3 drivers on a daily basis for more than 4 years now without a problem that is a total of at least 1,400,000 kms with no major problems.
During the last 3 months we have just taken delivery of 2 DAFS with the next generation MX engine for at least 3 years etensive testing.

Vascoingles:

ellies dad:

the new Daf MX engine has all the cyliners head and leaking gaskets problems, has a lower fuel consumption than the previous model, the problems concerning the reverse gear on the automatic have been eliminated and in general the whole cabin is far more comfortable, so how the hell can it be not so good ■■?.

We do tests for DAF and have had an MX running now in our swapover system where the vehicle runs day night and does an average of 350,000 kms a year using 3 drivers on a daily basis for more than 4 years now without a problem that is a total of at least 1,400,000 kms with no major problems.
During the last 3 months we have just taken delivery of 2 DAFS with the next generation MX engine for at least 3 years etensive testing.

Read the first sentence of your post you knob,tis you that make’s daft statement’s.

ellies dad:

Vascoingles:

ellies dad:

the new Daf MX engine has all the cyliners head and leaking gaskets problems, has a lower fuel consumption than the previous model, the problems concerning the reverse gear on the automatic have been eliminated and in general the whole cabin is far more comfortable, so how the hell can it be not so good ■■?.

Read the first sentence of your post you knob,tis you that make’s daft statement’s.

Missed out the word solved :smiley: which has now been inserted

by the way most kind of you to point it out knob

Vascoingles:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

one little word makes such a difference :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

glad they sorted it out :wink:

Denis F:

Vascoingles:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

one little word makes such a difference :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

glad they sorted it out :wink:

It does indeed Dennis

all this modern technology is sometimes a tad confusing for us old sods :grimacing: