Daf lf45

It’s the VIC ecu that puts the warning out on the DIP

norb:

Yes because the alternator “aint " charging,
What link has the alternator to the can bus?
The line voltage drops,the engine is running, the computer tells you that “line voltage is low”
Shame it doesnt tell you that you have a high resistance between alternator output and main battery feed (starter pole)
I think you put a little bit too much faith in the d"diagnostic” guru.
An instance (suspension outside parameters)
No lift or drop on airbags,Ecu Fault?

No some membrane on suspension predominance valve to the air tank.
Could chase your ■■■ all night looking for this “parameter” fault when all it takes is a bit of basic knowledge and common sense.Clean the valve,reset the spring and away you go.
Dont need this bollox if you have even a basic idea of how a truck works.
Apparently most muppets dont have a bloody clue.

Simpler than your method …The alternator has been checked and deemed serviceable …The wiring loom has been replaced,which apart from from going to he vic also goes to the engine ecu …The battery is charging and the battery has been deemed servicable…No laptop involved …Now it is not rocket science ,that if everything as been checked/renewed ref alternator , wiring up to the bulkhead and battery then the vic may be at fault or the wiring from the bulkhead to the vic …Obviously with your limited to zero knowledge of the DAF product ,the VIC ,is a body computer .It controls lights wipers etc .Now any system wether it be suspension,abs ,engine ,auto gearbox ,pto etc ,when there is a fault with the system it tells the vic via can,which amazingly then puts the appropriate warning on the DIP (dash)…So amazingly if there is a charging fault,the vic low and behold will not receive a signal that extinguishes the charge light on the dash …A simple tool can be made up with with an old alternator plug connected to a lamp with an earth…Plug it in to the alternator ,start the engine and it the light goes out then alternator is ok ,and you are looking at a wiring issue,if light stays on alternator issue …

You can happily talk about your Tesco trolley mercs etc and that is fine…But please do not try and teach me about DAF.I would rather take the word from people in Eindhoven /Leyand & Thame …As I say I will not question you on other makes,as I stick to what I know.If your require a lesson on how ECAS ,EBS,VSC,DMCI.UPEC,ECSDC3 ,ECSDC4,ECSDC5,ECSDC6 PCI,EAS ,ACC,VIC ,BBM,AS-TRONIC ,AS-MID,AS -LITE and any other system fitted to a DAF works feel free to ask …Like you I have been in the trade for a fair number of years,with the last 19 on DAF ,so I reckon I have a fair knowledge on the product.

norb:
Simpler than your method …The alternator has been checked and deemed serviceable …The wiring loom has been replaced,which apart from from going to he vic also goes to the engine ecu …The battery is charging and the battery has been deemed servicable…No laptop involved …Now it is not rocket science ,that if everything as been checked/renewed ref alternator , wiring up to the bulkhead and battery then the vic may be at fault or the wiring from the bulkhead to the vic …Obviously with your limited to zero knowledge of the DAF product ,the VIC ,is a body computer .It controls lights wipers etc .Now any system wether it be suspension,abs ,engine ,auto gearbox ,pto etc ,when there is a fault with the system it tells the vic via can,which amazingly then puts the appropriate warning on the DIP (dash)…So amazingly if there is a charging fault,the vic low and behold will not receive a signal that extinguishes the charge light on the dash …A simple tool can be made up with with an old alternator plug connected to a lamp with an earth…Plug it in to the alternator ,start the engine and it the light goes out then alternator is ok ,if light stays on wiring issue …

You can happily talk about your Tesco trolley mercs etc and that is fine…But please do not try and teach me about DAF.I would rather take the word from people in Eindhoven /Leyand & Thame …As I say I will not question you on other makes,as I stick to what I know.If your require a lesson on how ECAS ,EBS,VSC,DMCI.UPEC,ECSDC3 ,ECSDC4,ECSDC5,ECSDC6 PCI,EAS ,ACC,VIC ,BBM,AS-TRONIC ,AS-MID,AS -LITE and any other system fitted to a DAF works feel free to ask …Like you I have been in the trade for a fair number of years,with the last 19 on DAF ,so I reckon I have a fair knowledge on the product.

i know loads of acronyms that mean ■■■■■■■■ too.
Does that mean Im a clever fellow like yourself?

Bking:

norb:

Yes because the alternator “aint " charging,
What link has the alternator to the can bus?
The line voltage drops,the engine is running, the computer tells you that “line voltage is low”
Shame it doesnt tell you that you have a high resistance between alternator output and main battery feed (starter pole)
I think you put a little bit too much faith in the d"diagnostic” guru.
An instance (suspension outside parameters)
No lift or drop on airbags,Ecu Fault?

No some membrane on suspension predominance valve to the air tank.
Could chase your ■■■ all night looking for this “parameter” fault when all it takes is a bit of basic knowledge and common sense.Clean the valve,reset the spring and away you go.
Dont need this bollox if you have even a basic idea of how a truck works.
Apparently most muppets dont have a bloody clue.

:unamused:

Like the :unamused: Own Account Driver …I don’t bother getting in to arguments with him ,a discussion would be great ,but that would never happen …Best to let the op take what he thinks is the best advice ,before he get’s totally confused and this thread heads down the Famous Turbo thread …I’m quiet happy that with 18 odd years on DAF I know how the warnings on the DIP are illuminated /extinguished…Afterall though DAF call it a VIC ,a lot of car manufacturers will call it a Body control module

Have you had any luck yet

today started the truck in yard no problems, run for 20mins
took it out on road after 10 mins the alternator warning light flashed on and off a few times for about 10mins
next 40mins driving no warning light
then come on for 30 seconds
drove a 10mins back to yard come on in yard
so problem not fixed

and when i tried to start it when i got back it turned over but was hard to start

That sounds like a loose / bad connection somewhere .Do you still have the old loom ■■?..If so I will explain how to make up a tool using the old plug

i dont think he cut the loom out
he just put a new cable from alternator to the red plug on bulk head
if you could please, i haven’t got a clue about electrics

sheep1:
and when i tried to start it when i got back it turned over but was hard to start

I have sent a pm ,hopefully :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thanks very much your time

dont suppose u are anywere near west mids?

:laughing: :laughing: A couple of years ago I was down there often ,family in telford ,and used to spend time in dudley

If you want to pm a mobile number I will send a pic of what the tool should look like

cant send you pm
you have set it to blocked

oops