D & M.A. Sunderland & Son – Halifax, West Yorkshire

Belgium on the way home, stopped for a 45.

One of Clifford Wheelrite’s Scania’s on the Italian side of the Blanc, 1995 :slight_smile:

Ross at Helliwells & Denian.
Photo taken in 1st services southbound in to Italy from swiss ‘Ponte Chiassio’ border 1995 :sunglasses:
I believe Ross lost his Merc in the Blanc fire

AS24 at Calais, down by the ‘Jungle’
Denian subbing for A1 Transport

Turning Alan Wright around - photo taken just south of Dijon, France :sunglasses:

Does anyone remeber the Dekota at the side of the motorway in Belgium?? :sunglasses:
I believe it isn’t there anymore.

sutty1983:
Does anyone remeber the Dekota at the side of the motorway in Belgium?? :sunglasses:

i remember all of the above dont remember parking up much ha regards to all Rod, :laughing:

Hiya Rod,

Blimey, a blast from the past,
I think the last time I saw you me & Ian was helping you clearing the snow off the road getting your orange p-cab Scania back to the farm at Bradshaw.
How are you keeping?

I was speaking with Alan Atkinson ‘Big Al’ yesterday morning, told him that you put a post on here, he sends his regards.
Alan has retired now and at home at Burnley.
Ian ‘Denian’ retired last Friday, he’s at home now, driving Denise up the wall I think haha :laughing:

Do you still see anything of John Addy or Mark Bradley?
Have you any photo’s of when you worked for Sunderland or of your own trucks?

Good to hear from you :sunglasses:
Kind regards
Sutty.

rst060:

sutty1983:

i remember all of the above dont remember parking up much ha regards to all Rod, :laughing:

Is this Hot Rod ,who did a bit for Coleman ,whos hair (the bit that he had ) set on fire in Italy ,and who had a few beers in Zeebrugge ....... i wont continue with that 1 lol ...... if so you were always nuts hope you havent changed :wink: :smiley:

Hi,

Does anyone have any photo’s or stories of Sunderland’s or Denian they would like to share on here :unamused:
It would be appreciated
Thanks in advance :laughing:

Does anyone have any stories, info or photo’s of D & M.A. Sunderland & Sons, Halifax ?

My next door neighbour ‘Denian International’ used to sub contract to ‘sunny tours’ during the 1990’s doing UK — Italy — UK.
I used to ride along with my neighbour in the school holidays, it was never a dull moment — to say the least!
My neighbour used to run a Scania 113 360 — F351 FWR, then an ex Ponsonby 113 360 - G693 UBC tweeked by Rod to about 500 what a machine, then moved on to a couple of ERF Olympic’s.
I remember seeing Sunderland’s two tone blue Scania’s on my way to & from school, they looked a lot better than the white with blue stripes, when they moved from Shorts Garage to Holmefield Ind. Est.

I seem to remember he had 2x V8’s a Dreg 142 420 & Big Al’s Greg 143 450, remember Big Al getting his brand new P660 UUA - 124 400 Topliner, I seem to recall it sunk whilst parked at Phil’s at Brienne on its maiden voyage to Italy, after that it had ‘Titanic’ displayed in the windscreen :laughing:

Some of the drivers I vaguely remember are;
Alan Atkinson — Big Al & Sam :slight_smile:
Malcolm Walker — Shirley Temple & the late Sandra.
Malcolm ■■? he moved to live in France, always had his Ski’s with him.
Eugene Melloy — Ex parratrooper
Jimmy the Stick
Rod Stead
Dave Elliot — Meat Head
■■? Peacock, lived near Howarth
Secil ■■? lived near Ferrybridge
Jason■■? - Jasper

Other Drivers I recall;
Jim West on for Housemans of Harrogate
Super Ted on for Helliwells of Tuxford
Ross ‘Teds lad’ on for Helliwells of Tuxford.
Kevin Batley ‘Thug’ on for Goss / Clifford Wheelrite
Kenny Waterhouse
Steve Waterhouse
Bruce Phillips, had his own garage in Elland.
Anthony / Tony ■■? drove for A1 transport, he used to have his own trucks years ago A&A Trucking.

Another Subby used to work with Denian was Bob Farnell who bought a Scania 113 360 - M307 SWR from Dave Sunderland, this was driven by Bob’s Australian nephew Tony Farnell aka Kangaroo.

I will scan some photo’s later and post them on here, when I get a bit more time. Thank You.

Bloody hell there’s some names in that post! Probably know of half of them but only the Waterhouse brothers and Alan Atkinson to speak to - looking forward to your photos

Did Rod Stead run his own unit for a while i remember a Rod who subbied for Coleman at Bradford doing a few trips to Italy in his Seddon Atkinson which had been tweaked cant remember what engine it had in it .He came back after 1 trip and told of his night heater setting on fire and burning his hair,he was then known as “Hot Rod”…a very comical bloke

ramone:
Did Rod Stead run his own unit for a while i remember a Rod who subbied for Coleman at Bradford doing a few trips to Italy in his Seddon Atkinson which had been tweaked cant remember what engine it had in it .He came back after 1 trip and told of his night heater setting on fire and burning his hair,he was then known as “Hot Rod”…a very comical bloke

Hello Ramone,
Yes, that’s Rod Stead ‘Hot Rod’ like you say, a very comical bloke & a brilliant mechanic.

Yes Rod did have a Seddon Atkinson of his own, I never saw it myself.
I remember him been Sunderlands mechanic at shorts garage in Halifax.

My neighbor was a very satisfied customer of Rod’s tweeking skills, as he tweeked my neighbors Greg 113 360, fully freighted with the tag axle up it would pull wheelies, it really was a flying machine… one summer trip down to Naples I remember us racing a Greek 520 V8 Magnum on the A1 up Bologna mountain to Prato, we pulled in to a rest area just before Prato, the Greek Magnum caught us up & pulled in as well, parked at the side if us, he got out and pointed to our 360 badge then to his 520 badge and just looked at us, my neighbor shrugged his shoulders and laughed! The Greek walked off looking totally confused!
Latte Macchiato anyone! :laughing:

Rod left Sunderlands and about 1997-8 ish, set up again with John Addy who owned a farm on the top of soil hill in Bradshaw / Illingworth, Rod was called Addstead, he was running 3x fridge motors doing Germany, Spain & Italy for a company at Bradford, don’t quote me but I think it was Coleman’s.
Rod was running a Freg, P cabbed 113 310 4x2 unit, an R cabbed Preg 124 400 4x2 unit then he bought an Lreg 113 380 6x2 unit from Dave Varley Transport ‘DVT’, all 3 motors were very useful machines.

I can’t remember exactly when Rod closed again, but last I heard we went driving for Maguire International at Ballinode, Ireland doing Greece.

Here are some scans of some picy’s i have, i wish i had a digital camera back then! :slight_smile:
P660 UUA was driven by Alan Atkinson ‘Big Al’ from new, it had a TITANIC plate in the windscreen :smiley:

Scania 113 380 - P939 OWR with Kingston International Forwarding written on the tilt
This was driven by Malcolm ‘Shirley Temple’ as he painted the Scania badges with gold paint :sunglasses:
Photo was taken in yard early one sunday morning, summer 1998.

Scania 113 360 - M308 SWR
Dave Elliott ‘Meat Head’ was one of the drivers who drove this

Denian International’s 2x ERF Olympic’s shouldering Scania 113 360 G893 ABJ
Left hand side is our S622 CNW EC11 405 ■■■■■■■■ with Eaton 16sp syncro box
Right hand side is our N36 DWU EC10 350 ■■■■■■■■ with Eaton twin splitter box

We were setting off with N36 DWU to load at ICI Wilton, Teeside, 22x 1ton bags of plactic injection moulding beads for delivery to Piacenza, Italy. :sunglasses:

sutty1983:

ramone:

Hello Ramone,
Yes, that’s Rod Stead ‘Hot Rod’ like you say, a very comical bloke & a brilliant mechanic.

Yes Rod did have a Seddon Atkinson of his own, I never saw it myself.
I remember him been Sunderlands mechanic at shorts garage in Halifax.

My neighbor was a very satisfied customer of Rod’s tweeking skills, as he tweeked my neighbors Greg 113 360, fully freighted with the tag axle up it would pull wheelies, it really was a flying machine… one summer trip down to Naples I remember us racing a Greek 520 V8 Magnum on the A1 up Bologna mountain to Prato, we pulled in to a rest area just before Prato, the Greek Magnum caught us up & pulled in as well, parked at the side if us, he got out and pointed to our 360 badge then to his 520 badge and just looked at us, my neighbor shrugged his shoulders and laughed! The Greek walked off looking totally confused!
Latte Macchiato anyone! :laughing:

Rod left Sunderlands and about 1997-8 ish, set up again with John Addy who owned a farm on the top of soil hill in Bradshaw / Illingworth, Rod was called Addstead, he was running 3x fridge motors doing Germany, Spain & Italy for a company at Bradford, don’t quote me but I think it was Coleman’s.
Rod was running a Freg, P cabbed 113 310 4x2 unit, an R cabbed Preg 124 400 4x2 unit then he bought an Lreg 113 380 6x2 unit from Dave Varley Transport ‘DVT’, all 3 motors were very useful machines.

I can’t remember exactly when Rod closed again, but last I heard we went driving for Maguire International at Ballinode, Ireland doing Greece.

It wouldn`t have been Coleman he was subbing for in 97/98 but he was a great character