Cyclists, no bear with me!

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well what annoys me with these cyclists is they hold up the traffic by riding two abbrest, When one dose mange to overtake them and travel a bit further up to a set of traffic lights and have to stop when Red, Now these tossers catch up come up the inside of the standing traffic & end up back in front again, Plus some of them ride along the pavements going far too fast,I think its high time that they should pay Road tax & insurance,In the village where I reside, Before this Virus stuff, There is a nice village cafe owner run serving very nice food gets a lot of cyclists in on a weekend, Theres lots of them who visit this place but they cause havoc blocking the shopping area, Plus not all of them use the cafe, They even lean their bikes against the shop windows, I could go on forever about these cyclists, Im sure they cant all be stupid, :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: , Regards Larry.

Road tax & insurance…

A cyclists tax bill would be £0, exactly the same as a low/zero emissions car.

As for insurance, motors need insurance by law because they hold a decent probability of causing significant damage to life or property that the driver would never be able to pay for. Bicycles don’t pose that risk, therefore don’t require insurance.

Plenty of good debate to be had about cyclists on the road but I think the tax & insurance thing is a load of ■■■■■■■■.

Never mind cyclists.
E scooters are the thing now.
Apparently Middlesbrough. Has a scheme where you can hire them. Like.the Boris bikes.
God help.us all now.
Have encountered a few around london.
Cyclists arnt to bad there sat down big .enough to see and reasonably slow.
These things your stood up hard to spot and so fast.
You check your mirros all.clear then seconds later an e scooter appears up.the side out of noware

rob22888:

(OT) Which is completely baffling - the fact that ROAD tax is based on the car’s emissions. I mean it’s a ROAD tax, not an AIR tax, rite? A Tesla causes as much wear and tear to roads as a 20 year old diesel if not more because it’s heavier (guess) but pays no tax lol. Let’s all drive Teslas and no one will be paying ROAD tax, see how long before all the roads are gone/useless

One more thing declaring electric cars ‘0 emission’ is pure hypocrisy or any powered vehicle for that matter but that’s even further OT

ETS:

rob22888:

(OT) Which is completely baffling - the fact that ROAD tax is based on the car’s emissions. I mean it’s a ROAD tax, not an AIR tax, rite? A Tesla causes as much wear and tear to roads as a 20 year old diesel if not more because it’s heavier (guess) but pays no tax lol. Let’s all drive Teslas and no one will be paying ROAD tax, see how long before all the roads are gone/useless

One more thing declaring electric cars ‘0 emission’ is pure hypocrisy or any powered vehicle for that matter but that’s even further OT

Hate to be picky. But it’s not called road tax anymore. Hasn’t been for a while.
It’s excise duty.
All goes to govenment then a proportion gets spent on road repairs.

End day say we did all drive pure eletric cars the govenment would soon change the law amd.bring in a charge.

edd1974:
End day say we did all drive pure eletric cars the govenment would soon change the law amd.bring in a charge.

And i’m sure there is a plan in place somewhere because they will lose all the income from fuel duty as well. Something along the lines of getting everybody hooked on electric cars, then when the car makers stop making the combustion engine the tax will start coming. I suspect that in years to come those electric vehicle charging points might not be so cheap to use.

Fuel duty & vehicle tax are basically naughty boy taxes for motorists now, there to punish & discourage the use of polluting vehicles in the same way you pay extortionate duty on booze & ■■■■.

they will predictably just do the same tactics as when they weaned us iff of leaded vs unleaded by not putting up the tax on unleaded till the majority are using it leaving no facilities for 4 or 5 star,
at that point,they rammed up the price of unleaded to recoup the lesser tax they had on it for the previous few years.

I’d be happy if cyclists just obeyed the standard rules of the road - like they’re ■■■■ well supposed to, stuff like, oh, I dunno, STOPPING AT A RED LIGHT!

Today I was out walking with my kids beside a busy “A” road and an adult cyclist with his kid behind him rode up to a red light - I said to my kids, watch this guy make like Judas Priest and start “breaking the law”, which he promptly did… :unamused: