Curtainsider help

Carl Usher:
I realise you are a new driver and still very green at the job but those of us that have been doing the job a long time can tell by looking at the load what - if any - restraint it needs to stop it from moving.

As I suspect you’re about to start preaching to me from the VOSA rule book about load security - save your breath. Loads have been secured by ropes, sheets and internal straps just fine since time began and they haven’t suddenly become super dangerous overnight that now necessitates the use of 300 span sets and 2 hours of one’s time before one can drive off with 26 pallets of coca-cola.

Whilst I am minded to agree with you, the very fact that the OP IS new to the job suggests that Toby’s advice is valid.

Problem being here that VOSA’s interpretation of this is a little bit like a copper’s attitude towards a small number plate on a motorbike; much depends on which side of the bed the inspector got out of on that particular morning. Close perusal of the published guidelines suggests that they are recommendations rather than law; but since VOSA are effectively judge, prosecution and jury on these matters, it would be a brave operator who challenged them in court.

Incidentally, as the OP states in his first post that he’s done ten years on car transporter/recovery work, I think we can reasonably assume that he knows which end of a ratchet strap is which. :wink:

Carl Usher:

Radar19:

Carl Usher:

toby1234abc:
Some trailers have internal straps that hang from the roof.
Pallets that weigh less than 400 kgs must be secured by internals.
Over 400 kgs, ratchet straps are needed.

Back in the real world no-one does this except for jobsworths.

So securing your load is for jobsworth now?

I realise you are a new driver and still very green at the job but those of us that have been doing the job a long time can tell by looking at the load what - if any - restraint it needs to stop it from moving.

As I suspect you’re about to start preaching to me from the VOSA rule book about load security - save your breath. Loads have been secured by ropes, sheets and internal straps just fine since time began and they haven’t suddenly become suoer dangerous overnight that now necessitates the use of 300 span sets and 2 hours of one’s time before one can drive off with 26 pallets of coca-cola.

Won’t dispute that people have probably pulled 26 pallet loads of Coca Cola for donkeys years without straps on a curtainsiders without incident, it indeed won’t go anywhere with good driving. But should the day come that your involved in a serious accident (maybe not your own fault) there is nothing to stop that load ■■■■■■■ out of the trailer all over the carriageway, thus creating an incident that 10x more disruptive & difficult to clean up that it needs to be, maybe even worse. So a risk is being taken, similar to not wearing a seat belt.

I’m not saying i’m whiter than white, just putting the case forward for the VOSA regs and disputing the whole “i’ve been doing this for 20 years so its right” ■■■■■■■■.

RE: the OP…

Just ask somebody when you get to your job. I wouldn’t be too embarrassed about it, just explain your situation it’s doubtful anybodies going to snigger.

It’s fairly simple really; I get paid while I’m strapping up, and will use an internal on every pallet. (Whether I think it needs it or not!)
That way if I get stopped by VOSA, I have the defense that I took reasonable precautions.
It’s a lot better than the defense of: I made the judgment that no restraint was required!
It’s my pay, and VOSA can’t have it!!! :smiling_imp:

Evil8Beezle:
It’s fairly simple really; I get paid while I’m strapping up, and will use an internal on every pallet. (Whether I think it needs it or not!)
That way if I get stopped by VOSA, I have the defense that I took reasonable precautions.
It’s a lot better than the defense of: I made the judgment that no restraint was required!
It’s my pay, and VOSA can’t have it!!! :smiling_imp:

I’d rather be paid for doing what needs doing, and having a brew and a ■■■ and being paid for that instead.

Won’t dispute that people have probably pulled 26 pallet loads of Coca Cola for donkeys years without straps on a curtainsiders without incident, it indeed won’t go anywhere with good driving. But should the day come that your involved in a serious accident (maybe not your own fault) there is nothing to stop that load ■■■■■■■ out of the trailer all over the carriageway, thus creating an incident that 10x more disruptive & difficult to clean up that it needs to be, maybe even worse. So a risk is being taken, similar to not wearing a seat belt.

I’m not saying i’m whiter than white, just putting the case forward for the VOSA regs and disputing the whole “i’ve been doing this for 20 years so its right” ■■■■■■■■.

Span sets wouldn’t hold it in if the trailer were on its side or roof so they’re a waste of time. Besides, the wrecker won’t remove a trailer with any load in so if it doesn’t fall out when it goes over, if will fall out when the wrecker crew cuts the straps to release the load so the clean up time is the same regardless.

The only reason the ruling/“advice” about securing loads came in was because VOSA saw the pound signs rolling around on their eyelids. It has nothing to do with security and everything to do with making a fast buck.

Carl Usher:
Span sets wouldn’t hold it in if the trailer were on its side or roof so they’re a waste of time. Besides, the wrecker won’t remove a trailer with any load in so if it doesn’t fall out when it goes over, if will fall out when the wrecker crew cuts the straps to release the load so the clean up time is the same regardless.

The only reason the ruling/“advice” about securing loads came in was because VOSA saw the pound signs rolling around on their eyelids. It has nothing to do with security and everything to do with making a fast buck.

They would sure at hell offer a bit of resistance to the blow, so to speak, even if the straps did eventually give in. And at least the load could be released in a safe controlled manner once the roads shut with necessary precautions in place to make sure it doesn’t harm local environment, not ■■■■■■ across live lanes of traffic.

I just don’t get it. If somebody was seen pulling 26 pallets of Coke down the M6 on a flatbed with no straps there would be outcry. Add a bit of material attached to a flimsy trailer frame (basically a glorified tent) & people come out in their droves to tell you it’s all is well and good :question: At least accept, like I have, that there is a risk involved?

rob22888:

Carl Usher:

They would sure at hell offer a bit of resistance to the blow, so to speak, even if the straps did eventually give in. And at least the load could be released in a safe controlled manner once the roads shut with necessary precautions in place to make sure it doesn’t harm local environment, not ■■■■■■ across live lanes of traffic.

I just don’t get it. If somebody was seen pulling 26 pallets of Coke down the M6 on a flatbed with no straps there would be outcry. Add a bit of material attached to a flimsy trailer frame (basically a glorified tent) & people come out in their droves to tell you it’s all is well and good :question: At least accept, like I have, that there is a risk involved?

Agreed - it’s just a fancy gazebo with barn doors. :open_mouth:

As with rob22888, You wouldn’t expect to pull a flat trailer or rigid around with no ropes way back when.

Carl Usher:

peterm:
Same as Carl Usher, only open one side at a time. A helpful ? forkie undid the second side for me on a windy day without me realising what he was doing. I was a little bit cross about that. :angry:

Yeah :laughing: and it’s part of your training to be a “proper” trucker to 1. have a curtain pole whack you round the back of the head nearly knocking you unconscious and 2. having a curtain buckle or two whack you round your chops :laughing: . Both hurt like [ZB] !!

You forgot about fingers slipping off the cold wet buckle when you’re tightening it up. There’s no smiley for a grown man crying. :slight_smile:

peterm:
As with rob22888, You wouldn’t expect to pull a flat trailer or rigid around with no ropes way back when.

Have you not heard of anti-gravity straps? You can buy them on Ebay. :smiley:

Cheers for the info guys

Side valve you say vosa are judge jury and prosecution,in most cases I would agree with you, I was prosecuted by them over a case of insecure load at switch island site coming out of seaforth docks in Liverpool towards M57/M58
I defended myself at magistrates court at won my case and my costs paid
I had a 6 foot traffic Bobby and about 18stone get one click tighter on my straps
I’m 5ft 6inch tall and and half the weight of the traffic Bobby
I took a ratchet and strap to court to explain how they work and explained the Bobby
Would obviously be stronger than me and the magistrates agreed
This was before the fixed penalty notices were in use

Just another time saving tip. When starting, undo 5 or 6 clips then go back to the headboard and take out the pole, leaving it hanging, then continue undoing the clips until you reach the tail end of the vehicle.

Because you have taken the pole out, you can now start pulling the curtain without having to walk all the way back to the headboard, remove the pole and then walk all the way back to the tail end to start pulling.

The time saved adds up if you have to undo curtains several times a day.

This also works if you start from the tail end.

Hope this helps.