Current situation In Spanish haulage?

freshneasy:
Caudette is the oldest firm I recall seeing round my area. Corridor is it now all on Romanian plates? what do the Spanish drivers think of the bulgarians and romanians?

Basically not a lot. They are extremely unhappy with the way they have come here and work for next to nothing, pretty much like everywhere else.

hey hombre. yeah thought as much. forgive me im totally naive as i say to the spanish side of things having never really done Spanish work so dont know who the main players are etc apart from ones ive seen here in the UK on a regular basis. Capitrans is another one ive come across a fair bit but they all seem to be Spanish lads on there. it really is a shame but i really did think the likes of Spain and france were alot stronger i.e the unions in not letting this happen to there industry but like you say the economy isnt doing great so there doing as cheap as they can to make ends meet thus having the flip flop extremely short shorts weaing brigade to steer the trucks.

Its not as bad here as in the UK with eastern europeans having taken over everywhere. What did happen a few years ago in the good times was that there was a driver shortage so a quite a few Romanians came here, partly because their language is very similar to Spanish. A lot of those who came over are still here, they tend to be on similar contracts to the Spanish lads, however there has been an influx of new Romanian and Bulgarian drivers seeking to undercut the wages - they definitely are not popular! The same applies to traction some Spanish firms are now using romanian traction, obviuosly because of price.

Used to have amate in Spain who sub’ed for Transdonat are they still about? I lost touch when he retired,few weeks back I spoke to the driver of a Spanish reg artic (hablo un poco espanol) he replied Polski no Spain!WTH?

splitshift:
Used to have amate in Spain who sub’ed for Transdonat are they still about? I lost touch when he retired,few weeks back I spoke to the driver of a Spanish reg artic (hablo un poco espanol) he replied Polski no Spain!WTH?

Transdonat are still going, or were the other week when I saw some in Santander.

Hombre:
And just how many languages do you speak Senor? Habla Espanol - I doubt it, if you are a Brit then you just might struggle to string a few English phrases togetherr, however given the tone of your post I doubt it.

fluent in three, can understand and make myself understood in two more. I don’t really see how this has anything to do with the fact that spanish truckdrivers can’t speak anything other than spanish. we do have one driver who lives in malaga though, he speaks swedish, english and spanish.

My experiences when having had to use Spanish as subcontractors is that too many of them would not be capable of getting Rikki intoxicated in a brewery :laughing: , inefficient, late, lack of information, lack of contact and complete failure to understand customer relations are the main ones that spring immediately to mind, of course every where you have good and bad but after a few years out here in Spain it does not surprise me that so many of them have gone to the wall when with just a bit of get up and go most of them would quite easily have survived, unfortunately most of them saw the easiest solution as reducing wages while at the same time throwing thousands out of the window by operating inefficiently.

I agree with you there Vasco,they are terrible at communicating,and tend to stretch the truth,as saying you will be loading in 2 hours,but omit the part where the pallet you need is on the way from night trunk and will not get to you for 12 hours.Wish you could have told me that,so i do not have sit by the warehouse,and could have gone off to the beach for the day.