Cumbria companies

Bewick:
That’s a great shot of the Town John ! and I note that a Gracie Fields film was advertised. Was your Dad’s van a Morris Commercial ? Cheers Dennis.

Yes, it’s a nice photo. My brother in law is a film buff, and he is the one who dated the photo from the film release. However, you can tell it’s before 1941 - the Waverley hotel roof that you can see in the background was flattened by the luftwaffe in the Barrow blitz. They were aiming for the shipyard, but demolished a lot of the town centre! Anyway the cinema is gone now aswell. ‘Emlyn Hughes House’ built allegedly to resemble an ocean liner, reflecting the town’s heritage, has taken its place.

I don’t know what the van was Dennis. There is so much I would like to ask my Dad about now. When you’re young, the past is of little interest. By the time you are interested there’s nobody left to ask!

John.

The van is a Morris-Commercial, probably one of the early LC range.

Pete.

John West:

Bewick:
That’s a great shot of the Town John ! and I note that a Gracie Fields film was advertised. Was your Dad’s van a Morris Commercial ? Cheers Dennis.

Yes, it’s a nice photo. My brother in law is a film buff, and he is the one who dated the photo from the film release. However, you can tell it’s before 1941 - the Waverley hotel roof that you can see in the background was flattened by the luftwaffe in the Barrow blitz. They were aiming for the shipyard, but demolished a lot of the town centre! Anyway the cinema is gone now aswell. ‘Emlyn Hughes House’ built allegedly to resemble an ocean liner, reflecting the town’s heritage, has taken its place.

I don’t know what the van was Dennis. There is so much I would like to ask my Dad about now. When you’re young, the past is of little interest. By the time you are interested there’s nobody left to ask!

John.

Pete has confirmed that the van was a Morris Commercial !
As regards the bombing by the Luftwaffe it as misnomer that they were trying to bomb The Yard ! :wink: They really were trying to bomb Hindpool out because in the words of Jack Brady " Barrow is a Red Town Son" so Hitler must have been advised that all the Commies and assorted Reds lived in Hindpool and as we know Hitler hated the Commies ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Your mention of Milk taking an upward surge in price as a result of Government involvement tells me it was at the time when the MMB was formed and they really were a godsend to the Farmer/producers as they controlled the milk industry and prices for about 60 years or so until they were dismantled in the 90’s IIRC but anyway it looked like Bert did OK with a 10 fold increase in weekly profits !! So it was worth his while to bail out of bed at unearthly o’clock ! Cheers Dennis.

image.jpeg

SUNP0171.JPGThis was a Browns motor from new, Then a pal of mine bought it & ran it for a very long time, I even drove it for him hauling grain during the harvesting season when he was very busy, He has just sold it to a fellow who intends to restore it to its former glory I look forward to seeing it in the future, Regards Larry.

This book is well worth buying ,it’s a bit of a rogues gallery :laughing: hopefully other books will follow :smiley: :sunglasses:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I expect that night Dennis also had his curtains firmly closed as well Dan, admittedly his would be inside the mansion. :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I expect that night Dennis also had his curtains firmly closed as well Dan, admittedly his would be inside the mansion. :wink:

Pete.

wagons 046.tif (2.69 MB)
Same unit standing at ELPM Radcliffe coupled to an ELPM Tautliner.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

You can dig 'em out Paul ! IIRC Brady’s bought 6 F88’s ( They usually did buy in “sixes”) and 4 were liveried T Brady & Sons Ltd and two were liveried Athersmith Bros who they had bought out about 3 years previously. Nice load of Bowater Scott Parent reels ! Cheers Dennis.

3 Athersmiths and 3 for Brady’s

cattle wagon man:
G. N. Glendinning is the name on this E.R.F., but Alan Glendinning`s name on the curtains of the semi-trailer.
Maybe someone can please shed some light as to the different owners , - both based in Penrith.
Photographed at T.D.G. yard, Carnforth ,about 8 or 9 ( ? ) years ago.
A clue to the year is the almost -new Scania R Series in the background belonging to Bob Brewer , Sedbergh .
This Scania was one of the first R Series to go into service in the north of England.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

This ERF blonged to George Norman Glendinning. Its now owned by me.