Cumbria companies

6LX:

hodgeturbo:

Tuers Motors Morland 8 Legger Atki working out of Gypsum

6LX:

hodgeturbo:

Leyland Lynx Outside the Garage In Morland Loaded with British Gypsum Of Kirkby Thore

hodgeturbo:

Tuers bought all their Leylands off Hudson Engineers of Sandside and I reckon they would have been one of Hudsons best customers over the years. Cheers Bewick.

image.jpeg

hodgeturbo:

That is a great shot Paul ! I wonder if it was before nationalisation ( BRS) in the late 40’s Cheers Dennis

Robsons F86

■■■■■■■■ Hauliers

ST Bees Golf Course

Ribblehead

Are the quarries still operating in your area then Hodge, many have closed apparently?

Pete.

windrush:
Are the quarries still operating in your area then Hodge, many have closed apparently?

Pete.

Some have closed and some are still open quite a few railway jobs on up here at the moment

Eddie Stobart

Dennis, I attended the late Fred Tuer’s funeral Carlisle Crematorium about 3 or 4 years ago the cortage was followed by Mark Douglas in his Tuer liveried Albion Chieftain. The large congregation was entertained for about 40 minutes with a eulogy given by Tony Bingley about his involvement between the two companies, he virtually had the congregation rolling the aisle, a great send off for a genuine respected old haulier, coach operator and friend.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

This Albion 563 model built circa 1940 was acquired by Johnston Bros after reforming their company circa 1957 after being nationalised in 1949 seen outside the Distington Engineering Company, Chapel Bank Works, Workington.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Dennis, I attended the late Fred Tuer’s funeral Carlisle Crematorium about 3 or 4 years ago the cortage was followed by Mark Douglas in his Tuer liveried Albion Chieftain. The large congregation was entertained for about 40 minutes with a eulogy given by Tony Bingley about his involvement between the two companies, he virtually had the congregation rolling the aisle, a great send off for a genuine respected old haulier, coach operator and friend.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hiya Gerald,
I never knew Fred Tuer but I believe he was, along with a couple of other Gypsum Hauliers big customers of Leyland Dealers, Hudson Engineers, of Sandside who’s salesman was Tony Bingley. Two of Tony’s younger brothers Edward and Terry worked for me over the years, Edward for many years both as a Driver and then an assistant traffic manager. However, I only ever bought two items of equipment off Hudson Engineers, via their Salesman Tony B and that was a new 28ton Mastiff unit in 1970 and a seconhand1967 York EP30 t/a trailer in 1972 ( which was ex K. Fell) and being still a bit naïve I swallowed Tony’s spiel about the trailer being in “tip top” condition because it was ex K. Fell !!

Wrong !! I had to remove the complete running gear and send it back to Yorks for a full refurb after the neglect it had received at Fells ! Then when I took Fells over in 1976 and got into their vehicle purchase invoice files I am not kidding you both that Hardman Bros of Walton -le-Dale and Hudsons Engineers had literally been robbing John Davy the “owner” of K. Fell & Co by inflating the invoice price of both Seddons , Sed Atks and ERF’s and then convincing the gullible John Davy that Ooooo! "because it’s you Mr Davy and you pay us a cheque on delivery we will discount you 17:5 % off list !!! The robbing barstewards!!! and immediately I took over I told both Salesmen in no uncertain manner where to get off !! and needless to say they never darkened my door again ! And just for good measure when I had decided back in 1971 that it was the Atkinson Borderer I would buy I got one God awful letter addressed to me personally from one Tony Bingley that I should buy a new ERF from Hudson Engineers and not a new Atky from Scotts of Penrith the new Atky Dealers that had just opened up.

But this was not all ! Ian Fowler who was Scotts first Manager had ( un be known to me at the time) had offered to place the first new Atky I was buying through Hudsons but apparently this was rejected by Mr. B !! I am sorry to have ranted on Gerald but I have stated first hand facts which you have touched upon with the mention of Tony Bingley ! Sorry Pal and I hope you and all of Wigton steer clear of the virus that is engulfing us at this time ! Stay safe Marra Regards Dennis.

Hi Dennis et al .
I know that Tony Bingley was not popular to everyone , but I can remember his from his days when he worked in the garage and later as a salesman at Hudsons . In the early summer of 1971 , he sold my father one of the first Leyland Boxers with the (newly ?) reverted BMC engine . Tonys back-up after-sales service , and that of Hudsons was faultless . His brother , Terry was a mechanic there . In March 1976 , we contemplated replacing the Boxer with another of similar type . By this time Raymond Bowman put us on to Terry B. , as he was the salesman for Gilbraiths at Botany Bay , Chorley . Terry suggested, and persuaded , us buying a (Albion-built) Leyland Chieftain , as he said it was a stronger build , and with a better engine . We bought one , and as Terry lived only 20 miles away from us , he kept popping in to see of the Chieftains progress during its early weeks .
Gilbraiths did the full ( later greater questioned !) PDI ., etc.,… and the servicing was to be done at Hudsons . There were a few niggles from the very beginning , - insufficient oil in the gearbox - although there were no leaks - and the headlights were goddam awful as the evenings drew in . All the problems were quickly rectified by Hudsons .
After about 3 months , the novelty of Terrys visits wore off , and he never bothered to call . On the other hand , Hudsons continued their
100 % service to us , and they said that other customers were becoming fed up with Terrys waning of after-sales attention . It was a few years later that Terry took the business of Milnthorpes fish and chip shop . My father told me strictly never to spend
any money into Terrys hand because of the way hed abandoned us .
However , one evening , I was driving through Milnthorpe , and had not stopped for a bite to eat from leaving home early that morning.
I chose to go against my fathers instructions , and I ventured into the chip shop . Many other customers were there . When it came to my being served , Terry asked me how the Leyland was doing . " Alright , thanks , " , I answered . I then asked him - in front of a shop full of customers - " Whats the after-sales service like on fish and chips , Terry ? " . His reply , rather offhand , was " There isnt any !!" . I then retorted , saying ,... " Aye ,... just the same as what you offered to us and everyone else after youd sold them a new wagon !! " . For some reason , Terry suddenly became very annoyed at me , and after paying for my meal , he told me never to return .
I never went to that shop again . When I told my father what Id said to Terry ,... he laughed and said " You couldnt have said it better , Roy ! "
Cheers ,
cattle wagon man .

cattle wagon man:
Hi Dennis et al .
I know that Tony Bingley was not popular to everyone , but I can remember his from his days when he worked in the garage and later as a salesman at Hudsons . In the early summer of 1971 , he sold my father one of the first Leyland Boxers with the (newly ?) reverted BMC engine . Tonys back-up after-sales service , and that of Hudsons was faultless . His brother , Terry was a mechanic there . In March 1976 , we contemplated replacing the Boxer with another of similar type . By this time Raymond Bowman put us on to Terry B. , as he was the salesman for Gilbraiths at Botany Bay , Chorley . Terry suggested, and persuaded , us buying a (Albion-built) Leyland Chieftain , as he said it was a stronger build , and with a better engine . We bought one , and as Terry lived only 20 miles away from us , he kept popping in to see of the Chieftains progress during its early weeks .
Gilbraiths did the full ( later greater questioned !) PDI ., etc.,… and the servicing was to be done at Hudsons . There were a few niggles from the very beginning , - insufficient oil in the gearbox - although there were no leaks - and the headlights were goddam awful as the evenings drew in . All the problems were quickly rectified by Hudsons .
After about 3 months , the novelty of Terrys visits wore off , and he never bothered to call . On the other hand , Hudsons continued their
100 % service to us , and they said that other customers were becoming fed up with Terrys waning of after-sales attention . It was a few years later that Terry took the business of Milnthorpes fish and chip shop . My father told me strictly never to spend
However , one evening , I was driving through Milnthorpe , and had not stopped for a bite to eat from leaving home early that morning.
I chose to go against my fathers instructions , and I ventured into the chip shop . Many other customers were there . When it came to my being served , Terry asked me how the Leyland was doing . " Alright , thanks , " , I answered . I then asked him - in front of a shop full of customers - " Whats the after-sales service like on fish and chips , Terry ? " . His reply , rather offhand , was " There isnt any !!" . I then retorted , saying ,... " Aye ,... just the same as what you offered to us and everyone else after youd sold them a new wagon !! " . For some reason , Terry suddenly became very annoyed at me , and after paying for my meal , he told me never to return .
I never went to that shop again . When I told my father what Id said to Terry ,... he laughed and said " You couldnt have said it better , Roy ! "
Cheers ,
cattle wagon man .

Bootiful Roy ! Spot on mate ! I will PM you for a catch up Cheers Dennis.

cattle wagon man:
Hi Dennis et al .
Cheers ,
cattle wagon man .

By the sound of things, you gave this individual a piece of your mind Cattleman Mackereth!

Cyril Armstrong has sadly passed away. R.I.P.

Wm Armstrong, Berriedale on the A9

cattlemen at their finest