Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:

Great shot you have found there Paul ! Alston Foundry seemed to favour Steers as I recall the last motors I used to see down the road were Commer Steers probably Primrose Third Axle conversions. I don’t know what sort of engine the Commers had but they were probably Perkins 6.354’s. That ERF would likely have a 5 or 6 LW Gardner engine. It would be interesting to find out why they ran Steers ? How about you trying a Steer or two Hodge ? :wink:
Wishing you All the Best for Christmas Paul and a Happy and Prosperous 2020. Cheers Dennis.

Lost my little buddy recently 2020 will not be the same without him a constant companion when gardening or working in my garage. He arrived on our doorstep one morning as a poor little thin waif about 6 months old who was not well cared for by someone living nearby, I spoke to him and gave him some milk and we clicked. He kept returning until eventually his owner who could not afford vets bills etc gave him to us in 2012. We were able to feed him well, provide veterinary care when needed, in return he gave many hours of amusement and companionship, we miss his sunny personality immensely.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hiya Gerald,
Sorry to hear you’ve lost your Moggy in tragic circumstances, we always had a cat in the workshop over the years which kept the “spuggies” frae nesting up a height but I recall the last one we got off Animal Rescue was a Siamese cross which we called Nicksy and it was a right handful it was only our Tyre fitter that she would have owt to do with so he fed and looked after her. But one of her habits in winter time was she would get up inside the FLT when it was parked up and still warm and she had a few near “do’s” if it was cracked up again to do some transhipping etc. However, this particular Saturday morning she clambered up into the fron’t of my Merc which, bad mistake Nicksy ! I had to nip out shortly after I had arrived in the depot. So as I turned the key in the ignition there was one almighty scream and as I jumped back out to see what had happened poor old Nicksy staggered out and obviously her back had been broken and it was quite obvious she was knackered ! We got her into a cardboard box and got her to the vets who put her to sleep. Anyway Gerald, I had you down for a Hound Trailer who trained a couple of dogs in your retirement :wink: Well you’ve got have the Craic eh! :laughing: :laughing: Anyhow frae yan Marra to another here’s wishing you and your good Lady an enjoyable Christmas and a Happy and Healthy new Year. Regards Dennis & Anne

Aye Dennis the little fella is sorely missed I did not realise how attached you get your pets such a cheery pal. Thanks for the seasonal compliments and the same to yourself and good lady.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Any idea who the driver is on your WCBP pic Hodge?
A guy called Wison Brough (my late Uncle’s brother) worked for them early 70s.
Later on I knew a Geordie lad, Bill Headley who I used to go away with as a young lad (I blame him for me becoming a driver btw :smiley: ),
Then when I started I got to know a lad called ‘Fozzy’ who worked for them, along with a couple of other lads, (whose names escape me)

Speaking of all things WCBP’s this is a shot of three out of a batch of 5 ex WCBP R cabbed Scanias I bought off my Dealer Pal Malc Woodhouse Snr. Shot here in the depot awaiting painting and lettering. The K. Fell 111 was ready to leave the fleet and join Lancaster & District Training Group, it was an ideal motor for learning on as it had just a 5 speed box ! so even the RTITB Dole Muppets could manage to drive it, only just though ! Cheers Bewick. :frowning:

image.jpeg

Probably Willie Ellwood driving.
Cheers, Leyland 600

jamescharters:
Another eBay find . I presume this cab is off one of Robsons fodens

Border grenadier

Forster’s Transport Leyland road runner.

forsters ley.PNG

Couple of Hodgson’s coming out of Barrow this morning. Busy busy!

John.

John West:

John.

Hi John Tar from Carlisle to building site on School Street

hodgeturbo:

John West:

John.

Hi John Tar from Carlisle to building site on School Street

Ah, tar, ta!

(This passes for a sense of humour with me - not appreciated by my wife, nor probably anyone on here come to think of it!)

John.