Cumbria companies

Bewick:

windrush:
Dust I would think Dennis?

Pete.

Sand apparently Pete, but its some stock pile eh! Cheers Dennis.

Aye it is, I kept well away from sand and gravel myself apart from back loads as the rates were not brilliant. Some limestone in the Staffs area was that colour which made me think perhaps it was dust.

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

Aye it is, I kept well away from sand and gravel myself apart from back loads as the rates were not brilliant. Some limestone in the Staffs area was that colour which made me think perhaps it was dust.

Pete.

I suppose a poor rate for a back load was great if it was an A to B and back to A with sand Pete, better than running m/t ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

That’s one face in the quarry there’s 3 different faces building,plastering and concrete sand

Bewick:

windrush:

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

Pete.

I suppose a poor rate for a back load was great if it was an A to B and back to A with sand Pete, better than running m/t ! Cheers Dennis.

I hate this “it’s a back load” rubbish it costs the same which ever way your going

One of VT’s trailers redesigned at Lillyhall Workington

image.jpeg

Bewick:

If I was passing close to the pit and tipping close to home I would pick sand/gravel up from either Hoveringham or Hints near Lichfield if they needed any, they were Tarmacs own pits to one of there concrete or asphalt plants in our area. Rates were usually slightly less than normal for such ‘internal’ work, ie company quarry to there own plants, but only taking it one way at least paid for some fuel and made me a shilling or two. A lot of hauliers didn’t bother with such work and preferred to run back home empty and park up early but done as a last load it filled my day in.

Pete.

I totally agree with you Paul but market forces dictate otherwise eh!. We used to only carry crap rated traffic if it suited our purpose which meant using this work just to fill in a hop between tipping our prime loads and reloading our own prime return loads for home. Two jobs that were ■■■■ rates I recall was reloading our motors that tipped around Derby/Notts out of Hulland Ward down to London so we then reloaded wood pulp back home to Milnthorpe. The rate from Hulland Ward was poor if it was your prime traffic but in one direction it was quick and OK for us. Another regular job I recall was our Radcliffe/Irlam based motors that tipped paper around the Birmingham area and reloaded ex Thermolite blocks from near Coventry and were back and tipped late afternoon in Manchester and the units were then ready for their nightshifts. These kind of jobs hadn’t got to interfere with our main traffics so we were very picky and choosey as what crap work we did, if it caused us grief we wouldn’t touch it ! Cheers Dennis.

To be clear, (off topic I realise) the loads I picked up as return loads (for us) were not at ‘back load rates’ but loads that were normally done on a two way basis by the hauliers based at those quarries etc. I just took them one way. Actually the rates at virtually all of the quarries or plants I ran from when work at our main quarry (Ballidon) was slack were poorer, even quarries locally in the same group as Ballidon (tarmac) ran at less pence per mile than we did, but it was either that or sit at home annoying the missus which I suppose an O/D could do (many of ours did just that infact) but I was an employed driver so had to get on my phone, find work and earn a crust! :laughing:

Pete.

Bewick:
I totally agree with you Paul but market forces dictate otherwise eh!. We used to only carry crap rated traffic if it suited our purpose which meant using this work just to fill in a hop between tipping our prime loads and reloading our own prime return loads for home. Two jobs that were [zb] rates I recall was reloading our motors that tipped around Derby/Notts out of Hulland Ward down to London so we then reloaded wood pulp back home to Milnthorpe. The rate from Hulland Ward was poor if it was your prime traffic but in one direction it was quick and OK for us. Another regular job I recall was our Radcliffe/Irlam based motors that tipped paper around the Birmingham area and reloaded ex Thermolite blocks from near Coventry and were back and tipped late afternoon in Manchester and the units were then ready for their nightshifts. These kind of jobs hadn’t got to interfere with our main traffics so we were very picky and choosey as what crap work we did, if it caused us grief we wouldn’t touch it ! Cheers Dennis.

Just makes you feel like people are taking the p@@@ out of you sometimes

Going to Wisbech in the morning to pick this up

That’s a better taildoor for tarmac than those 50/50 split ones we had. Looks a nice machine that.

Pete.

I expect many of us on this site can remember when the “agreed” rates were for outbound traffic. Return loads were reckoned to be two thirds of the outbound rate.
That all seemed to go by the board when the licencing system changed and companies started dictating rates to the hauliers. Suddenly the “return load” rates were the accepted norm- “If you don’t like the rates go and load somewhere else”. :cry: :angry:

When I was on general late 60s our gaffer would tell us to run empty out of the Smoke and load off BRS at Corby. He didn’t want us hanging around waiting for loads in the city and Corby BRS always had loads for Yorkshire,plus they took a lower percentage of the rate IIRC.

Yes Chris, for all its faults BRS was fair with its back load rates and it was the preferred source for back loads for the family haulier I grew up with. I recall my first night out journey I was allowed to go on with a driver when I’d be about 15 years old. It was in a Seddon 14/4/400 and it was a multi-drop load of paper out of East Lancs paper mill at Radcliffe to 4 or 5 drops along the Thames Valley. Stayed in Oxford for the night empty then went to BRS Banbury next morning. He loaded us out of Automotive Products with 3 tons, but gave us 6 tons cap, then we went to the packers at Chipping Warden to load 7 tons of cases which paid 10 tons cap, so in total 16 tons cap on a four wheeler, for two docks at Liverpool. I’ve always remembered that the BRS Traffic Manager came out of his office to check the A Licence disc to make sure that we were legit.

gingerfold:
Yes Chris, for all its faults BRS was fair with its back load rates and it was the preferred source for back loads for the family haulier I grew up with. I recall my first night out journey I was allowed to go on with a driver when I’d be about 15 years old. It was in a Seddon 14/4/400 and it was a multi-drop load of paper out of East Lancs paper mill at Radcliffe to 4 or 5 drops along the Thames Valley. Stayed in Oxford for the night empty then went to BRS Banbury next morning. He loaded us out of Automotive Products with 3 tons, but gave us 6 tons cap, then we went to the packers at Chipping Warden to load 7 tons of cases which paid 10 tons cap, so in total 16 tons cap on a four wheeler, for two docks at Liverpool. I’ve always remembered that the BRS Traffic Manager came out of his office to check the A Licence disc to make sure that we were legit.

Hiya,
Brs for all it’s faults, and as a Red and Ruster I couldn’t find any faults
but when not working for them most gaffers and I had plenty in my
time were always pleased when I backloaded from BRS depots saying
good rates and prompt payment were the norm.
thanks harry, long retired.

I’m not rising to “the bait” on BRS :wink: The Nurse Practitioner said I have to keep calm otherwise my blood pressure goes off the scale and ■■■■■ the machine up ! Sorry lads ! Cheers Dennis. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dennis,

then ensure that you remain off the Marathon nearly was thread as you could go off the scale…C.F. gone crazy!!! :laughing:

EW car truck & bus:
Dennis,

then ensure that you remain off the Marathon nearly was thread as you could go off the scale…C.F. gone crazy!!! :laughing:

Correction “EW” “CF” has been ■■■■■■■ crazy all his life !! Cheers Dennis. PS I wouldn’t/didn’t touch a Marathon with the proverbial “Barge Pole” I even refused a demo , and that was saying something as over the years we had a number of “dogs” on demo !!

oh eck hope c.f. doesn’t read this then or he may believe he was right all along!!! :blush:

ew