Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:
Thomas Armstrong

Had many a happy day as a 9 year old boy along side my uncle who worked for TA before he was killed, in one of those constructors too

A Brady 680 Power Plus Beaver HEO 678.First reg 3/1/62 scrapped 31/5/71.

You won’t get Hodge on here to-night as he will out canvasing for either the Lib Dems or the Greens in the Copeland Bye election eh! Cheers Bewick. :cry: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:
You won’t get Hodge on here to-night as he will out canvasing for either the Lib Dems or the Greens in the Copeland Bye election eh! Cheers Bewick. :cry: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bit oot of my territory Dennis that’s Jam Land

Greggains Solway Garage Curzon Street Maryport

image.jpeg

hodgeturbo:

Great shot there Paul so what date about ? And while I’m on they call each other “Jam eaters” so which is which Whitehaven or W’ukkinton ? and which yan is thoo an “Uppy” or a “Dooner” ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Hodge, Here is another photo of Greggains garage taken from just inside the northern entrance to the bus station with one of ■■■■■■■■■■ Motor Services classic 1951 Leyland PD2/12s with Leyland Faringdon design metal framed body , bus number 306, KRM 255 one of 30 such busess operated and the last Leyland type bought by the founding Meageen family. Government edicts forced them to buy Bristols from 1954 onwards.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Great shot there Paul so what date about ? And while I’m on they call each other “Jam eaters” so which is which Whitehaven or W’ukkinton ? and which yan is thoo an “Uppy” or a “Dooner” ? Cheers Dennis.

I’m neither Dennis My uncles doing the Hodgson family tree we’ve only been at Dearham,Broughton Moor and Papcastle and most have been miners that’s my Grandfather William Hodgson on the left going to the pit for a back shift the other two are his brothers

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

I’m neither Dennis My uncles doing the Hodgson family tree we’ve only been at Dearham,Broughton Moor and Papcastle and most have been miners that’s my Grandfather William Hodgson on the left going to the pit for a back shift the other two are his brothers

Great old shot there Paul! would it have been in the 20’s sometime ? They were a couple of smart lads with the Pigeons, were they miners as well ? and did they all live to a ripe old age as it was a tough job being a miner in them days eh! Cheers Dennis.

my second wagon at alco

Don’t know where else on here to ask this question but today on my way back from Salisbury livestock market I was behind a Stobart car transporter on Czechoslovakian plates so can any one on here tell me what that’s all about and why bearing in mind the truck probably has never been to that country or ever will, also going too and from Frome market I noticed they have now got Artics on the concrete blocks job, wont be long before they push Mr Pearce into oblivion by rate chopping, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Don’t know where else on here to ask this question but today on my way back from Salisbury livestock market I was behind a Stobart car transporter on Czechoslovakian plates so can any one on here tell me what that’s all about and why bearing in mind the truck probably has never been to that country or ever will, also going too and from Frome market I noticed they have now got Artics on the concrete blocks job, wont be long before they push Mr Pearce into oblivion by rate chopping, Buzzer.

May have been delivering a load of Skodas Buzzer ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Buzzer:

May have been delivering a load of Skodas Buzzer ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Leyland 680:

Bewick:

Buzzer:

Stobart no longer own car transporter,s sold out to
British Car Auction last year for £ 16 million
After buying into car transporter job in 2012
Paying £12.4 million I am not saying you did not
see a Stobart car transport on chech plates
Just saying they made a big profit in a short time

I don’t know where this shot was taken but the sheets and ropes on that K.Fell Mandator or Beaver are a ■■■■■■■ disgrace, but hey! that was probably ten years before we took over and sorted the ■■■■■ out big style !! Cheers Dennis.

Question for Gerald ! would old J W Graham have bought some of his “A” licences from BRS when they were selling them back to private hauliers ? because IIRC he was running some 8 wheelers in the 50’s so if he didn’t buy them back from BRS how did he miss getting nationalised in 1948 ? Just interested ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I dont know, old JWG was a farmer at Dubwath where the road branches off the A66 to Ouse Bridge and Castle Inn, I think it would be George and Maurice who would get the company going possibly with ex BRS motors. RWB or AD could have had the answers however I will make other inquiries. I know that Jack Watt bought back from BRS when the sales were ongoing but cannot enlarge any further. JWG had another son who worked on the farm and was electrocuted changing a light bulb in a calf hull or byre about 1960 I think.
Cheers Leyland 600

HI LEYLAND 600 DID JOHNSON BROS , EVER HAVE A LEYLAND EGO MATIC CAB 600 ENGINE 12 SPEED MANUAL CHANGE BOX , VERY TIDY TOOL UNIT ,REG IIRC ORM ///F , WAS TIDY BUT A BAD CHOICE FOR US ,HEAD GASKETS BY THE SCORE , JUST A BIT OF USELESS INFO , CHEERS BARRY

Hi Dennis I spoke to the oracle of BRS Howgate who informs me that Grahams acquired two Guy 6 tonners in 1954 but did not know if licences accompanied the vehicle. One had an EC Westmorland registration. They were replaced in July 1955 with two Bedford 5LCO type chassis. Grahams did have wagons before nationalisation.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Hi Barrywaddy, I cannot honestly offer an opinion on Johnsons having an Ergomatic cabbed tractor unit, I have a mate who may know bear with me for a day or two.
Cheers, Leyland 600