Cruise Control, a good or bad thing?

cruise control is a good thing especial on the newer motors where it acts as a speed limiter as well. my first truck had a hand throttle now that was dangerous cruise control

garnerlives:

shuttlespanker:
personally, i think Cruise Control would have been better off sticking with his previous username Pecjam :wink:

■■■■ it I got beaten to it, quick off the mark mr c, too quick for me :cry:

i could have posted it tomorrow and it would still have been too quick for you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

garnerlives:

shuttlespanker:
personally, i think Cruise Control would have been better off sticking with his previous username Pecjam :wink:

■■■■ it I got beaten to it, quick off the mark mr c, too quick for me :cry:

i could have posted it tomorrow and it would still have been too quick for you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

HARSH, but on the money with that one though I must say :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise control is great in the daf I drive now, the mere flicker on any other pedal or exhaust brake knocks it off, but I didnt like the cc in the merc axor I used to drive as I usually tap the clutch in the daf, but in the merc when you release the clutch pedal the cc kicks back in! if youre not used to it, it can make you cheeks grip the seat when the traffic is slowing.

cruise in my truck is deactivated by tapping brake or applying exhaust break/retarder…not dangerous and i think is better on long distance not to mention fuel economy…
what i dont like is some controls are buttons on steering wheel ie MAN…move yer hands about and you can activate cruise when you dont want to and vice versa…

Cruise Control is a great thing, I use it all the time when possible.

Part of the SAFED training was to use it and it works well with an Auto box.

Renault CC (once set can) be resumed from about 18 mph so accelearation up to 40 mph is done by the computer.

I set it in a 30 and 20 zone aswell just to be safe, I am in control of the vehicle, with it set at the speed limit (or below) i can concentrate on what is happening on the road and not worry about being caught for speeding.

As others have said, I hate it when people dont use it and there speed varies constantly.

CC does not make you fall asleep, driver fatigue makes you fall asleep.
If you feel drowsy stop … have fifteen minutes snooze a cup of coffee and go again …set the cruise control and enjoy the ride

I love cruise control best thing invented since slice bread , the resume button on the daf is the dogs balls slow down for a junction hit resume away it goes.

newmercman:
I use mine all the time, as long as the road is clear in front of me, I think it’s better from a safety perspective, knowing that my speed is ok I can concentrate on the road at all times, it also allows me to have my foot hovering over the brake pedal when moving in steady traffic, that way if it all stops in front of me my braking is almost instantaneous, it may only be 10ths of a second faster, but a 10th of a second at motorway speeds can be the difference between stopping & crashing.

The argument that it’s dangerous if the driver falls asleep or becomes ill, has some merit, well it does if you believe that we should all be wrapped in cotton wool, but those are rare occurences & whether you’re on cruise or not if you become unconsious while doing 56mph there’s going to be a big bang at some point, it may be at a lower speed, it may not, either way a moving vehicle with an unconsious driver is not going to be pretty.

ROG, using the throttle to set/disengage cruise is kind of defeating the object, don’t you think :bulb:

This is exactly my take on cc. I even use it in a 30 limit. It stops you getting carried away and speeding, and to me at any rate, it frees you up to concentrate on the road.

using cc at set at 30mph why…surely on a 30mph limit it isnt needed…this worries me that some drivers feel the need to use cc at 30mph…by the time you get up to speed you could be stopping or need to slow if driving in a 30 limit type of environment…personally i dont think its advisable but its up to you…

The company I am with now has a policy of using CC, a recent letter said it had to be used ‘in all available situations’ as a fuel saving measure :unamused:

Last week I was asked why my Isotrack showed I was off CC for more than 30 mins, my reply that I was sitting in a traffic jam on the 25 met with ‘well, you can activate it at low speed’ :open_mouth:

Needless to say the person in charge of the new initiatives has never driven a truck.

As for me, I use it when it is appopriate.

Don’t they tell you on the driving courses to use the cruise control as often as possible?. Because of the fuel saving. Lead right foot as opposed to a computer!!.

tortoise:
Don’t they tell you on the driving courses to use the cruise control as often as possible?. Because of the fuel saving.

NO - safety and gear flexibilty come first over any fuel economy.

ROG:

Ah - but you need to somehow convince the bean-counters of that ROG :wink:

dambuster:

ROG:

Ah - but you need to somehow convince the bean-counters of that ROG :wink:

They come a fair way down the list after safety - every time

If they want fuel effeciency before safety then they are welcome to put that in writing :slight_smile:

ROG:
If they want fuel effeciency before safety then they are welcome to put that in writing :slight_smile:

Oh - I do have it in writing.

I’m saving it for the ‘right opportunity’ :wink:

When Samat had their new Volvos we had the Volvo(lady) demo driver to show us how to use CC and the engine brake.CC was permanently engaged with on and off the engine brake used to engage and disengage it automaticaly.She achieved quite remarkable mpg figures with this system but don’t think anyone was converted permanently, didn’t seem right…

loving most of the comments about me :wink: :laughing: :grimacing:

has anybody else noticed when driving a Renault premium on the CC when you do come to brake sometimes the CC does a bloody good job at trying to fight you by re-fusing to disengage. You slow down take foot of brake and the truck starts accelerating again :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

There are big signs going into Antwerp saying no cruise control. I mean how are the old bill going to know if your using cc or not?

Cruise Control:

has anybody else noticed when driving a Renault premium on the CC when you do come to brake sometimes the CC does a bloody good job at trying to fight you by re-fusing to disengage. You slow down take foot of brake and the truck starts accelerating again :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

No, but I have found that by lightly braking that it engages the retarder and the CC carries on as before… :wink:

DAF95XF:

Cruise Control:

No, but I have found that by lightly braking that it engages the retarder and the CC carries on as before… :wink:

:blush: :blush: :blush: thats what i meant :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: