Crippling a truck's power

md1987:

stu675:

md1987:
Next time floor it down the slip road before hitting resume is my only solution. 40mph isn’t that bad up there with a heavy trailer [emoji38]

How about going the wrong direction for a junction, then u turn for a longer run up before the hill? I read on the internet that it will save fuel [emoji849]

What would you suggest?

Sorry mate wasn’t have a go at you, just the operators that introduce this crap. [emoji2]

Thought my suggestion was quite sensible [emoji1787]

Stephenjp:
The DAF LF Euro 6 rigids do this, even with your foot flat to the floor and not using cruise!!!

It was a DAF, in case anyone hadn’t already worked it out.

Terry T:

Stephenjp:
The DAF LF Euro 6 rigids do this, even with your foot flat to the floor and not using cruise!!!

New gen MANs set to eco only behave in exactly the same way, same gearbox as Daf too.

I did see and hear a traffic cop say on the TV on one of these motorway programmes, that 40 mph was the minimum speed on a UK motorway, don’t know if that’s true or if he was just waffling for the camera.

Sapper

sapper:
I did see and hear a traffic cop say on the TV on one of these motorway programmes, that 40 mph was the minimum speed on a UK motorway, don’t know if that’s true or if he was just waffling for the camera.

Sapper

I always thought it was 30mph, just did a search, but, it appears there is no minimum!!

Stephenjp:

sapper:

Sapper

I always thought it was 30mph, just did a search, but, it appears there is no minimum!!

from various searches

Although there isn’t an official minimum speed limit on most motorways, travelling too slowly can be considered dangerous and you might attract the attention of the police.

In this case, you’d usually be let off with a verbal warning, but you could be prosecuted for careless driving.

sometimes fully freighted we are down to 30/35 mph on some inclines on motorway

Terry T:

Stephenjp:

ENOUGH SAID

njl:
The latest Volvos that have arrived at ours have an iSave badge on, the seat mounted shifter has gone and selection is done by fairly non descript buttons in the dash select drive / neutral / reverse. There is a button for up down shift but doesn’t work, perhaps as it seems to be locked into e mode. Compared to the units we have a couple of years older, cruise resume pulls very sluggishly. Most bizzarely is if you click the cc speed up from 55 to ‘56’ it disables cc and has you wondering what happened as you fail a lane 2 overtake…

I’ve got a new Volvo, the 56mph cc now works after it’s latest update.

Mines a 540 but I think my old 500 went better, it defaults to the eco setting on start up, which is crap if anywhere near a hill, the book says the dealership can change it to stay in normal, but they won’t, even in the normal mode it’s too eco restrained, far more than the normal mode was in the old one

justpassing:

Terry T:

Stephenjp:

ENOUGH SAID

The Daf CF I drive now, doesn’t do it, put you’re foot to the floor and of it goes, happily joining the motorway at 50mph!!! Lol

Juddian:

Dav1d:
So there’s no lever for changing the gear up or down, like on (an older) Daf or as the right hand lever on an Actros ?

Everything except automatic eco program is deleted, the levers are usually still there (can’t speak for all makes) but no manual selection permitted, no kickdown, no power/hill function, if you enter a downhill slip road literally the accelerator will have no effect or input and eco might still disallow fuel to flow even if you can select manual, you have to experience one of these bloody eco programmed things to appreciate not only how frustrating they are for the driver but how dangerous they can be for everyone.

Dafs tend to default to eco, annoying enough and the main reason i don’t want one, but usually you can select the 3 settings being eco normal drive and manual if you click the switch, even in normal Daf eco the above scenario decribed in the OP doesn’t happen because even though the revs have dropped because its selected the highest gear possible you still have power, with eco only programed vehicles normal drive and manual are programmed out completely and power will be shut off on almost every slight downhill stretch, worse i’ve found for this so far is new gen MAN.

With DAF eco mode If you switch it off you will get to 90 if programmed for 90…Then when you release the throttle after 2 secs eco mode comes back in…So if you switch it off and keep your foot on the throttle it won’t kick back in until released…The time it takes to kick back in can be changed…or it can be switched off ,dealer only If RSL is at 90 and eco mode is at 88 or 85 …ECO mode has priority…Also you now have gearboxes that basically have gps in them and can read the roadso they know where they where the hill is and what is required to get to the top of the hill most efficently ,so they woun’t do a needless down change to change up 2 secs later …I just want to go back to Euro2 all mechanical ,easy to fix ,no grief ,who cared the passenger window may have a wind up handle or the mirrors where not elec adjustable

norb:

Juddian:

Dav1d:
So there’s no lever for changing the gear up or down, like on (an older) Daf or as the right hand lever on an Actros ?

…I just want to go back to Euro2 all mechanical ,easy to fix ,no grief ,who cared the passenger window may have a wind up handle or the mirrors where not elec adjustable

Amen to that, but as you can see from these very pages too many drivers can’t see why diminishing the skills/graft required of their job goes hand in hand with oversupply of people prepared or even able to do the job leading to supply/demand lower wages.

One wonders if the up and coming economic powerhouse of the BRICS economic alliance are busy destroying their own economies to suit those leading the climate scam, methinks they have more sense.
If history is recorded honestly our present headlong scramble to utter ruin will be looked upon with incredularity in the future.

Thanks to Acorn for his reply to my post of April 28th and the advice offered.Sorry for the delay.I*m cruising around Europe at the moment.

norb:
I just want to go back to Euro2 all mechanical ,easy to fix ,no grief ,who cared the passenger window may have a wind up handle or the mirrors where not elec adjustable

Best truck I ever had was a 2006 DAF SSC 480 (OK once the studs/coolant issue was sorted) with a 16 speed box, exhaust-brake and a real retarder.
More storage in the older cab. Electric mirrors and windows too!
A pleasure to drive, it did everything asked of it with no fuss at all.

Hughes Transport certainly wasn’t crippled when he passed me last night. Cruising at a steady 104kmh according to my dash, I know that over reads a bit but 60ish.

We have 16 plate XF’s and 18 plate CF’s.

The CF’s are the facelifted versions and seem fine. Yet the old 16 plate ones are absolutely terrible. One nearly stalled on me going up a 14 degree incline whilst fully loaded with 26IBCs. I have to end up driving the thing in manual just to get off the slip road at decent speed. They are bloody dangerous in my opinion. They used to be tanker units so I do not know if they are speced differently to normal units. (They have a different mid-lift and none of the aero).