Crap and/or abusive instructors

All sounds very familiar to my experience and it was tough but as you say great when you pass :smiley:

My first instructor I had at the start of last year wasn’t shouty but didn’t instil much confidence it almost put me off driving all together, contacted in late December, assessment lesson at the start of January. Lessons booked for February and for the majority of the lesson he sat using and talking on his phone not watching what I was doing and when he did take notice of what I was doing he was passive aggressive about it. Turning back into the yard after a day of training a car flashes me in, he slams the brakes and shouts because he was looking at his phone and missed the car flashing so thought I was pulling out in front of it.

I could write an essay on this, he even cancelled my test and kept postponing and staggering lessons over months until finally admitting he doesn’t want to anymore in MAY. Leaving me £1670 out of pocket, he only gave me the test fees back after I threatened legal action. it wasn’t until September I went back and completed Cat C with a more reputable company and passing on my 2nd attempt.

How’s about crap and (slightly) abusive?
I did my Class 2 in November '17 in the Bristol area and my “instructor” was new. Pretty much left me to my own devices apart from when I got the odd lane position wrong and suddenly WW3 would break out. She even offered the odd helpful comment when turning like “oh yeah, the back end will swing out a bit…” Did a practice test with her and got 5 majors. One hour later did the actual test and passed with 3 minors…
Moved up north soon after.
Did CPC mod 4 September '18 with a firm not on the Newcastle side of the Tyne - instructor friendly but also crap - wasn’t interested at all.
Will have saved enough for class 1 come March/April. I have been working for a builders merchant in the office so I have not used my licence yet - doing it on the go slow until I pass Class 1 and then it’s 2 years of getting any experience I can :smiley:

SONORTH86:
How’s about crap and (slightly) abusive?
I did my Class 2 in November '17 in the Bristol area and my “instructor” was new. Pretty much left me to my own devices apart from when I got the odd lane position wrong and suddenly WW3 would break out. She even offered the odd helpful comment when turning like “oh yeah, the back end will swing out a bit…” Did a practice test with her and got 5 majors. One hour later did the actual test and passed with 3 minors…
Moved up north soon after.
Did CPC mod 4 September '18 with a firm not on the Newcastle side of the Tyne - instructor friendly but also crap - wasn’t interested at all.
Will have saved enough for class 1 come March/April. I have been working for a builders merchant in the office so I have not used my licence yet - doing it on the go slow until I pass Class 1 and then it’s 2 years of getting any experience I can :smiley:

Would that be like a derby between Newcastle & Sunderland then :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: if so stay well clear

I had a crap instructor when I first tried my class one and gave up after about 3 lessons …

Laugh about it now but the day I passed my car test at Ipswich and we arrived back at the driving school to find two coppers looking over a beat up old commer 7.5 tonner parked in a dead end street and he said to me … ‘Looks like someone is in trouble … ’ Hope not says I as that’s my motor and on my way to Redruth’ no tax or operators license visible but after explaining why there was not (purchased vehicle the day before) they asked to see my driving license so with great pride shew them my pink pass slip …

The day after I passed class 1 I was on my way to Bologne from Buckie with fish and then on to some place in Holland to load frozen chips for Bellshill …
The good ole days :slight_smile:

My instructor was an ex-TA HGV instuctor (he said). He talked at me all time while I was trying to get to grips with the gear changing and other stuff, which I found very, very off putting, he’d bark orders at me rather than giving calm instruction and was really negative about my chances of passing. I still passed first time though but in no way was this thanks to him.