Coupling order

adam277:

robroy:

the maoster:

adam277:
I pick up fridge trailers all the time and have never needed to split couple.
Then again I am not 35st.

A supermarket 4x2 with a 200 litre diesel tank pulling an urban fridge is hardly the same as attempting to couple or uncouple a close coupled “proper” fridge set up.

:laughing:

I think we have 400L tanks actually :slight_smile:
Also we have 6x2 and 4x2.

So you’re saying you can manage to couple up lines on a ‘proper’ close coupled Euro spec outfit like that.
Are you 6’6 and 5 stone, or is your name Stretch Armstrong. :smiley:

All I am saying is I have yet to have the need to split couple. I am 6ft and around 13st.

Also the majority of times I’ve seen someone split couple. A huge factor seems to be how big their gut is.
:stuck_out_tongue:

adam277:
All I am saying is I have yet to have the need to split couple. I am 6ft and around 13st.

Also the majority of times I’ve seen someone split couple. A huge factor seems to be how big their gut is.

So at 6’ and 13 stone you can stand on a catwalk comfortably and fit in between the trailer bulkhead,.and the rear of the cab with another foot lost with the airline rack/front of fridge motor, and couple up your trailer lines…and that is in your opinion easier than doing a split coupling procedure…
Ok, got it. :neutral_face:

adam277:

To be fair Adam I’ve never seen a Tesco fridge that didn’t have a mavis rail, or more commonly a mavis rail that extended out about 3 feet to the nearside which does negate the need to split couple.

The first time I had to split couple was with a kangaroo tilt at a workshop in the countryside, unfortunately (and luckily I’ve never done it since ) I went under and jumped out to connect the lines, another unfortunately was the trailer was on a downward slope and yet another unfortunately was me not checking the handbrake.

You gueesed it as soon as I connected the lines the trailer headed downhill towards me and I’m thinking this is me squashed between truck and trailer [emoji54][emoji54]

I was very lucky as i had raised the truck up so the pin banged into the jaws and the trailer stopped just a couple of inches from my nose [emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

polytrotter:
The first time I had to split couple was with a kangaroo tilt at a workshop in the countryside, unfortunately (and luckily I’ve never done it since ) I went under and jumped out to connect the lines, another unfortunately was the trailer was on a downward slope and yet another unfortunately was me not checking the handbrake.

You gueesed it as soon as I connected the lines the trailer headed downhill towards me and I’m thinking this is me squashed between truck and trailer [emoji54][emoji54]

I was very lucky as i had raised the truck up so the pin banged into the jaws and the trailer stopped just a couple of inches from my nose [emoji849][emoji849]

I hope you was wearing your brown trousers that day.

adam277:

polytrotter:

I hope you was wearing your brown trousers that day.

I certainly was afterwards [emoji849][emoji849]

Macski:
I was shouted at today because I put on the airlines before winding up the legs, aparently I will kill someone doing that.

I have always started with the lines then made my way round the trailer finishing with the clip.

Whats so wrong with that?

i put safety clip, cables, legs, numberplate, and when i all around checked i open trailer brakes.

Juddian:
What gets my goat is those who fail to use the air suspension on the tractor correctly both times, not only to save the landing legs from unnecessary strain but to keep the fifth wheel grease (especially on a newly greased plate) where it belongs and to ensure they don’t overshoot the pin.

This gets my goat as well! Nothing worse than getting a unit where the Suzie’s are all clogged up with grease because some monkey has rammed a just serviced unit straight under a trailer.

Oh, and split coupling a fridge trailer is perfectly safe as long as you use common sense and make very deliberate decisions about the safest way to do it. Trailer brake is absolute 1st priority.

Immigrant:

Macski:
I was shouted at today because I put on the airlines before winding up the legs, aparently I will kill someone doing that.

I have always started with the lines then made my way round the trailer finishing with the clip.

Whats so wrong with that?

i put safety clip, cables, legs, numberplate, and when i all around checked i open trailer brakes.

ohhh,… i forgot.
this is to hook up/
to unhook
trailer brake
legs
airlines
numberplate
fifth wheel
for dropping