Cost of going straight to C+E Class 1

Pete S:

I will need 5 days training including the test

Out of interest, how many hours will you get? Is it 1:1 or 2:1 training? Dare I ask the price? And does the price include VAT and test fee? (incl 3a)

Is the 3a prep and test included in the 5 days?

I’m trying to get a feel for what different trainers are offering in these new times.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete,

its 1:1 training and all in. I have PM’d you.

cheers

Dave

I’d budget around £3500.
Always try to budget for two retests even if you dont need them.
You dont wanna be in a position in which you know you can pass on the next attempt but can not afford it.
Or if you require extra training.

Hi all. Is the general consensus that going straight to C1 is the more sensible option financially and in terms of employment opportunities? I’m in the same position, but was initially going to go down the C2 then C1 route. Peter Smythe looks good, C2 is about £1700 and I imagine about £3k? What’s the forums thoughts?

Sparkymark1973:
Hi all. Is the general consensus that going straight to C1 is the more sensible option financially and in terms of employment opportunities? I’m in the same position, but was initially going to go down the C2 then C1 route. Peter Smythe looks good, C2 is about £1700 and I imagine about £3k? What’s the forums thoughts?

I’m doing C2……will work a little then go for C1 however could afford to go straight to C1 if I wanted. I prefer to get a little experience first. Go with what you think is right for you, no harm in working your way up. Always keep extra money aside for retests or extra lessons and good luck with what ever you choose! :smiley:

I assume C1 means the old HGV Class 1 and not LGV C1 (7.5 tonner) :question:

Sparkymark1973:
I imagine about £3k? What’s the forums thoughts?

The actual figure is well publicised in this section (£2475 2nd post this thread) that’s where the saving is, it’s much less than double a class 2, C category, training and test.
The best route for you might become clear from a (free?) Assessment drive and depending on local jobs available to you and what you want to do.

stu675:
The actual figure is well publicised in this section (£2475 2nd post this thread)

Add in medical, theory tests, revision plus Driver CPC Modules 2 & 4 - £3k is probably about right.

There is not much between C then CE vs. direct to CE in terms of costs. Do which you feel more comfortable with.

I’ve gone the C then CE route with PSTT just to get experience driving the rigid.

David DeHavilland:
By the way, when I got back into my admittedly modest car to drive home, it felt like I was driving a Porsche :smiley:

Biggest thing for me was how light the steering felt in my car afterwards! LOL!! It’s not heavy to begin with. The car felt to have no mass whatsoever.

Pete S:
PSTT is offering 30 hours training + test fully inclusive for £2475 taking Trucknet discount into account.

Free accommodation if you are more than 70 miles from NG19 6PL.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete,

I am interested in the residential course at PSTT; the B to C+E route. I passed the LGV theory and Mod 2 in December.
May I ask if the 30 hours training is all done in an artic or is it split between a rigid and artic?
is there any option to include Mod 4 in the residential course too? If yes, what would be the total cost and duration of 3a/b+4 at PSTT?

Thank you,
Jo

Class 2 for me, cost including test fee is £1470+£120 for Mod 4. Training is 2-1 over 4 days with test on 4th day. I arranged and did theory, hazard, mod 2 and medical myself.

Was quoted £2900 for class 1 but only want to stick to class 2 just now.

I am interested in the residential course at PSTT; the B to C+E route. I passed the LGV theory and Mod 2 in December.
May I ask if the 30 hours training is all done in an artic or is it split between a rigid and artic?
is there any option to include Mod 4 in the residential course too? If yes, what would be the total cost and duration of 3a/b+4 at PSTT?

The training is generally all completed in artic - but you have the option of having a session or 2 in a rigid if you wish.

It would be normal practice to complete the Mod 4 during the period you’re with PSTT. But this would not encroach on the 30 hrs.

You would be trained by a fully qualified and registered instructor (not a legal requirement and is actually quite unusual) and tested at the PSTT private test centre - which is where you’ve been trained. PSTT had the very first private test centre in the UK in 2008. I, personally, conducted the first 3a test in the country on 15th Nov 2021. You will find that the Mod 3a examiner is one of many on the PSTT staff and the same goes for MOD 4. The thick end of 200 folks have passed their 3a with PSTT since November.

With residential courses, the reversing and 3a test are completed as a priority at the start of the course. Non - residential can often have the 3a completed a week or 2 before the rest of the course.

Pricing is straightforward and transparent.

B to CE is £2475 (allowing for Trucknet course discount)
MOD 4 £300
Pass Protection (optional) covers THREE retests £395
Accommodation is free of charge

Of course, there are cheaper options. Choices are yours. But, unless you have rock solid recommendation (which you have for PSTT) please visit the centre and satisfy yourself that it’s a place you want to spend your hard earned.

Pete S:
The training is generally all completed in artic - but you have the option of having a session or 2 in a rigid if you wish.

It would be normal practice to complete the Mod 4 during the period you’re with PSTT. But this would not encroach on the 30 hrs.

You would be trained by a fully qualified and registered instructor (not a legal requirement and is actually quite unusual) and tested at the PSTT private test centre - which is where you’ve been trained. PSTT had the very first private test centre in the UK in 2008. I, personally, conducted the first 3a test in the country on 15th Nov 2021. You will find that the Mod 3a examiner is one of many on the PSTT staff and the same goes for MOD 4. The thick end of 200 folks have passed their 3a with PSTT since November.

With residential courses, the reversing and 3a test are completed as a priority at the start of the course. Non - residential can often have the 3a completed a week or 2 before the rest of the course.

Pricing is straightforward and transparent.

B to CE is £2475 (allowing for Trucknet course discount)
MOD 4 £300
Pass Protection (optional) covers THREE retests £395
Accommodation is free of charge

Of course, there are cheaper options. Choices are yours. But, unless you have rock solid recommendation (which you have for PSTT) please visit the centre and satisfy yourself that it’s a place you want to spend your hard earned.

Thank you for the detailed info, Pete, and sorry for the delayed reply. I’ve been doing nothing but research for the past three weeks, including one assessment drive, and I must say that the PSTT offer keeps coming out on top.

One more question, please. Would you be able to provide an estimate of the pass rate for the direct B to C+E course since November? It’d be interesting to know whether it matches or is lower than the traditional C to C+E route. Thank you.

PSTT have had a very slow start with B to CE being inundated with courses since the end of lockdown and playing catch up.

Happy to report that the one candidate who has done the course is running round with his shiny new licence! So I haven’t lost the knack haha.

Courses are taking off from late February though I’m doing one currently and 2 more in the next couple of weeks.

With the extra training for a direct course, I don’t expect the pass rate the vary wildly.

Good luck all, Pete

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Pete S:
PSTT have had a very slow start with B to CE being inundated with courses since the end of lockdown and playing catch up.

Happy to report that the one candidate who has done the course is running round with his shiny new licence! So I haven’t lost the knack haha.

Courses are taking off from late February though I’m doing one currently and 2 more in the next couple of weeks.

With the extra training for a direct course, I don’t expect the pass rate the vary wildly.

Good luck all, Pete

Thank you, Pete.

Hi Guys and Girls l live local to Glasgow and like others have posted do I go straight for Class 1 or 2.
I’ve driven buses for 20 years but time for a change all the paper work is done all I have to do is decide which test and who to train with is there somewhere you can check a training companies test success. Cheers.

DarrenFraser:
… is there somewhere you can check a training companies test success.

If you mean such as first time pass rates then no

And another first time pass, car to full size artic. 1 driving fault.
Congratulations to the candidate. Great result.
Also gives a good indication that, with correct tuition, it’s perfectly reasonable to miss Cat C and go straight for CE.

Pete S

DarrenFraser:
Hi Guys and Girls l live local to Glasgow and like others have posted do I go straight for Class 1 or 2.
I’ve driven buses for 20 years but time for a change all the paper work is done all I have to do is decide which test and who to train with is there somewhere you can check a training companies test success. Cheers.

I went straight to class 1 with ritchies and cant fault them, passed with 3 minors.

Spent 2 days in a class 2 then the rest of the time on class 1.

DarrenFraser:

From personal experience I would go to straight to Class 1, Having passed class 2 with Ritchies last month I’ve struggled to find decent work for Class 2.