Cornish Companies

Hi Buzzer,I drove an artic for Teagle machinery,Blackwater,Truro from 1968 / 1993

highgearhauler:
Hi Buzzer,I drove an artic for Teagle machinery,Blackwater,Truro from 1968 / 1993

Hi mate you must have liked the job, aint many last that long at one firm. Still ring Richard Benney every Christmas day cheers Buzzer.

Hi there anyone,yes i knew Nigel Gill very well,im goin back25 yrs now,i used to deliver 24 tons of seed tattys to his farm which i brought from Scotland,i cant remember, but i think it was St, Buryan,he had another small farm in Treen as well, He always gave me Breakfast if i landed there first thing in the morning,very nice chap,& he always gave me a couple of caulies to take home,Norman croad,Torquay,Devon.

I see Kismet fisheries are mentioned on page 1,out of intrest are they still going ■■

kismet4.PNG

highgearhauler:

Got any photos pard?

You must have felt really spoilt working for them, driving that low cab Scania. Wasn’t it a P92? They obviously didn’t believe in spending excessive amounts of money on their trucks (a bit like my old man)!

Craig

And on the subject of Cornish firms that operated small cab artics (while the rest of the UK had moved on up to bigger workspaces) here’s another example, and these FLs went all over Europe:

Apologies for the gurning halfwit standing in front of it!

Craig

My old girl that did her fair share of Europe…

All the best

Nigel

Hi am new to truck net i use to drive for sowesco group in the eighties running in to Cornwall all the time and remember most of the companies what great pictures I knew a few drivers than like Colin madden who drove for Robbie travail and Clive on eclipse really good times great to see all the pictures an memories

bubbleman:
Good idea Sam,wish I could help with some on your list,heres a few to start with ,this should keep wheelnut happy :laughing:

88 HDV is ex Gregorys. :laughing:
88 GFJ is ex Thompsons. :laughing:
112 SAF is ex Dennis Oates. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Hi Bubbs at last a picture of F88 HDV831N,i was the lucky bugger to have that one new on Gregory’s in Feb 75, i was told it was the 6th 290 supplied
down this way. 2 things i remember about the thing was crap brakes, i mean really crap brakes and awful vacuum wipers, Norman.

Hi anyone got any photos stories from Sid Knowles ltd from Penryn they would like to share, my late grandfather Des Kendall drove for them for 30 odd years such a great company sadly gone now.

DEANB:
I see Kismet fisheries are mentioned on page 1,out of intrest are they still going ■■

no long gone mate , mid 90,s i think they finished , where down to 1 six wheeler as far as i remember

If memory serves, Dennis Oates bought Kismets lorries.
Think they had a Volvo 6 wheeler, Scania 6 wheeler and 4 wheeler.

There was a Merc814 that was converted to a Horsebox and was around for years.

Never much on here about the old Cornish companies running when I was there for a year in 73 taking my class one test and passing then a year working from there but just got a load of pictures from FB so here they are, Buzzer.

36322710_1767756189967886_8393511727370600448_n.jpg

A few more from Cornwall, Buzzer.

36222749_1766422053434633_2648712456066564096_n.jpg

Just one more, Buzzer.

Do the cornish drivers still do the old offside indicator flash that we used after dark?
when running down the a30 in the dark when passing another lorry going the other way we always used the o/s flasher to say hello.
Steve.

Does anyone have pictures of Alan Lobbs lorries? They ran out of Mitchell in the 80s and 90s.

Photos courtesy of Sammy Lee Jose, Cornish Lorries Facebook page.
St Buryan Rally 27/7/2019.

Denis Oats & Sons HAF 664L. Lovely restoration of a great Volvo. Somebody must be very proud.

Blast from the past, Buzzer

Pollystag
Just reading your post on offside indicator flashing at night and I would imagine it was a national thing to do.
We certainly did it here in South Wales back in the day. Been retired nine years now but I imagine it’s still done
Regards, Mr Steel