Containers on flat beds

Punchy Dan:
If you look on google you can see the c&s regs for rigid lorry lengths ,our 6 wheeler flats have 31 ft bodies that’s about max length so you can see that your not going to get a rigid with a crane on too that could have a body long enough for twist locks 30 ft apart other than built in to a pull out rear .id have thought a mon of your experience would know this already :laughing:

12 metres lets say 39 feet max ?.
So you’ve got 8 ft left with a 31 ft body.
But probably best to go for an 8 wheeler.
Bonus points if it’s a day cab.
As I said amateurs and cheapskates come back with something more suitable. :wink: :laughing:

[quote/“G79”]
Hi guys, just a quick question seen a lot of containers on flat beds this week and just asking how can ratchet straps be enough to hold them in place especially if their are loaded? I drive a car transporter and use 4 straps per vehicle sometimes 6 if a big van or heavy, so how come you can have a 40ft container on with just a few straps thrown over to hold it in place? Always get me thinking htf? I know some flats have locking pins for this reason but I’m on about the ones that don’t or low loaders?

You have had many replies here but a point missed was the danger of a strapped container sliding forward on braking. If it is only secured by ratchet straps the driver would want to be mindful of that if the trailer has no headboard. In my experience if I had a trailer with defective locks then chains are the best option.

Punchy Dan:
When you see containers on a flat with straps over it’s usually because only 2 of the twist locks are usable/ line up .
I carry containers on my flat I put 2 straps over but use 4 ratchets then also diagonal on each end from top corner to opp on the side rail .

Done the same way myself felt the best way to secure it cheers ray.

CLOVER50:

G79:
Hi guys, just a quick question seen a lot of containers on flat beds this week and just asking how can ratchet straps be enough to hold them in place especially if their are loaded? I drive a car transporter and use 4 straps per vehicle sometimes 6 if a big van or heavy, so how come you can have a 40ft container on with just a few straps thrown over to hold it in place? Always get me thinking htf? I know some flats have locking pins for this reason but I’m on about the ones that don’t or low loaders?

You have had many replies here but a point missed was the danger of a strapped container sliding forward on braking. If it is only secured by ratchet straps the driver would want to be mindful of that if the trailer has no headboard. In my experience if I had a trailer with defective locks then chains are the best option.

I’ll never forget the young bloke at Stafford Rd Croydon back in about '72. No locks, no chains, just ropes. Had to stop in a hurry and the box went straight over him.

A flat trailer is a flat trailer, a flat trailer with twist locks is a PSK. They’re heavier than a regular flat as the twist locks are mounted in proper crossmembers as you would see on a skelly, not just tacked onto regular crossmembers.

The-Snowman:

worldsbestdriver:
The weight of the container mean its not going to move unless something horrific happens id guess and they are just doing it as a tick box exercise.

You need to change your username

He does frequently try Rowley010DickyNick to name a couple others also a available

newmercman:
A flat trailer is a flat trailer, a flat trailer with twist locks is a PSK. They’re heavier than a regular flat as the twist locks are mounted in proper crossmembers as you would see on a skelly, not just tacked onto regular crossmembers.

Thanks nmm I knew there was a name for them but couldn’t remember it no matter how I tried.
As stated they ain’t cheap bodies.Usually in high demand on the used market ?. :wink:

CLOVER50:

Carryfast:
Which leaves the question why would anyone order a flat without that capabability.
But they do. :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing:

People would order flats without locks for decreased weight and less cost. Remember it is not just the cost/ weight of the locks but the steel beams to support them.

What I do know is that container capable flats are usually in demand on the used market.
Which suggests that the downsides regarding marginal payload differences are outweighed by the upsides of the extra flexibility.
Obviously like if someone is turned away from a job on arrival on the basis of no locks then no job.

msgyorkie:
Pretty much as Dan says.
Also we move empty “containers” around (actually they are storage units) and max weight is 2 tonnes on a 20ft. So 2 x ratchet straps with a combined rating of 10 tonnes is more than enough.

Agree with most of the above, but would caution against assuming that straps are good for five tons. That is their minimum break strength when new, allegedly, but there is a huge variance in the quality of the assemblies, so, in service 2.5 tons will be nearer the real capacity. Having said that, two straps should still be enough for an empty 20’ @ 2250 kilos.
I buy and sell quite a few containers, mainly 20’ one trip boxes for storage etc. Usually take them one at a time, at the back of a part loaded trailer, with the front of the box against the load. Then try to get 8 to ten pallets inside rather than go a long hard road empty. I’ve got little short pins that fit into the sockets for the log pins and stick up around six inches. This stops any chance of the box going sideways, and it can’t go forwards, but I still put 5 or6 straps over them.

Firm I used to work for we would cross strap from top castings front and rear and two down sides if empty. Loaded would be chains front and rear crossed plus one each side from bottom casting Pulling in opposite directions

Punchy Dan:

Carryfast:

Punchy Dan:

Carryfast:
Let’s get this right order a flat body calling for 20 or 40 ft ISO twist lock capability but only two of them will actually line up and work. :confused:

Obviously you are commenting again on things you know nowt about :unamused:
So if a hiab lorry with a 24 ft body carries a 30 ft welfare cabin which is a common size but twist locks are set for a 20 ft then only the front ones are used . :wink:

20’ and 40’ aren’t literally the only two sizes of ISO container it could also be 10 foot or 30 ft.Who would have thought it.How could we possibly deal with that situation.
Yep just fit it with enough locks for any one size and rope anything different that doesn’t line up with more than two of em.Sorted.

If you look on google you can see the c&s regs for rigid lorry lengths ,our 6 wheeler flats have 31 ft bodies that’s about max length so you can see that your not going to get a rigid with a crane on too that could have a body long enough for twist locks 30 ft apart other than built in to a pull out rear .id have thought a mon of your experience would know this already :laughing:

Will you two just get a room, as a side order, I know who I would trust, and it isn’t Google.

Punchy Dan:
When you see containers on a flat with straps over it’s usually because only 2 of the twist locks are usable/ line up .
I carry containers on my flat I put 2 straps over but use 4 ratchets then also diagonal on each end from top corner to opp on the side rail .

You mean opening the doors and nailing thru the wood floor into the wood floor of my trailer ain’t right? have to change my ways!

peterm:

CLOVER50:

G79:

I’ll never forget the young bloke at Stafford Rd Croydon back in about '72. No locks, no chains, just ropes. Had to stop in a hurry and the box went straight over him.

was that the one with a load of potatoes, flattened the cab?

Don’t know what was in it, but it certainly flattened the cab. I understand that it was a young bloke too. Might have been told "you’ll be all right son, just take it steady.

peterm:
Don’t know what was in it, but it certainly flattened the cab. I understand that it was a young bloke too. Might have been told "you’ll be all right son, just take it steady.

Yeah…
Take it steady…
Drive to the load…
The weight will hold it there…
You’ll be alright…
No-one else bothers…
Only a couple of miles…
Frightening isn’t it.

Anybody ever taken any notice how a livestock container is secured to a flat body ■■ Tyneside

tyneside:
Anybody ever taken any notice how a livestock container is secured to a flat body ■■ Tyneside

Those old wooden ones held on by bottle screws?
(On a flat body with a strong headboard and decent sized rave running length of trailer held on by weld on all cross members)

Franglais:

tyneside:

Those old wooden ones held on by bottle screws?
(On a flat body with a strong headboard and decent sized rave running length of trailer held on by weld on all cross members)

I meant a normal 24 or 28 ft detachable livestock container that would sit on a normal rigid flat and would be on one day and off the next (sometimes more than once a day)
Tyneside

Found the article

peterm:

That’s the one. I never heard whether or not anyone was held responsible. As far as I know the poor bugger was pretty new and only in his 20’s.