Container work

i run about 20 trucks put 2 on boxes to try it. time paid driver parking fuel earnings gone loosing 300 quid each a week. hence dident last long sold trailers.

Looks like box’s are only for the oneswho can negotiate decent rates and it sounds as if these are pretty thin on the ground…

That’s about the size of it Angiey…You can make good money out of it, especially on Short Sea, but it’s pretty much entirely down to who you know - to the point where in the bigger “ponds” like Southampton a good planner will change shipping lines/ contract hauliers at the drop of a hat, taking all their pet subbies with them. Been there, been “taken along”, (had to work my arse off to get in with her though). :wink:

I’ve got 2 tractors and take it from me, it ain’t worth doing.

My main work is Exhibition & Conference equipment transport, which is a pretty good payer but, as January is quiet, Ive put one unit out on tilt work.

Basically, I am covering the drivers wages, fuel and a bit towards the standing costs so, in one respect, I’m earning something as otherwise, I would have nothing at all this month, but it beats me how anyone could depend on it full time to make a living (and apparently, I am working for one of the best payers on tilts)

Roll on February when exhibition work picks up again!

The container debate rolls on i see, the thing about us humans is what suits some doesn’t work for others, i know there’s jobs out there i wouldn’t like to do! I’ve been an owner driver for 11 years now (shed many tears, blood and sweat over them, i’ve made money and lost money) I’ve done container work off and on over them years using it as a fill in whilst trying to get other work ideas off the ground, i’ve done fridges and general haulage but have always come back to box work in between. Enjoyed the fridges made decent money but like everything else the rates slowly start to erode and found the job not worth doing for the cost of the equipment required, plus with it being a 7 day 365 day operation decent casual drivers to fill in the gaps were becoming harder to find.Not wanting to name names but i’ll give clues to the guilty companies i subbed for a manchester company on general (think insect,pollen & bright yellow trailers) Deeside to London for £215 and back for £200!! and working 18+ hour days, sorry not putting my life and health on the line or losing my licence for anybody if the poles and the irish are happy running like that, that’s there choice but not mine, i didn’t stay there long. Since Jan 06 i’m back on boxes, running mainly out of Liverpool docks, must be seriouos this time as i’ve bought my own slider! I started off for a large national container company (the one who’s add offers loads of work, ____time) You know ur pi**ing in the wind when the guys running u don’t have a cpc or class 1 licence and clueless about running costs of a truck, the mentallity of these office types is i’m paid £250 a week wages this subbie is getting £1,200 a week why’s he moaning, i’m sorry but 1 Manchester a day at £120 doesn’t cover the standing costs, plus believe me they take a lot more than 10% off some jobs! Since Sept 06 i’ve been subbing for a Lancs based family run company, i’m making better money as there’s an honesty and understanding about how much things cost by the guy running the traffic desk which makes a big difference. I’ll not kid you it’s not all sunshine & roses when Seaforth is bad it’s bad and 3-4 hours (unpaid) turnaround times is not unusuall, most work we do is palletised so delivery or collection is usually pretty fast, although today i did spend 6.5 hours handball at Beverley but hey you take the rough with the smooth! Now i’m not saying all the big companies are bad i know a lot of other subbies who pull for the other big boys and seem happy with them, i’m only speaking from my own experience, i’ve tried to get in direct with the shipping lines which isn’t easy when your a one man band. The point i’m making is we know we’re in the wrong job to become millionaires, but do your research try a few different companies out and i’m sure you could find one that suits you.

Thanks for that Haulier. I suppose its like everything else, If you are willing to do the graft and get a few lucky breaks things might work out.