Container Work

Nite Owl:

R420:

Nite Owl:
I disagree on the bolt croppers. You should be checking the box before it leaves the dock and if theres no seal, it doesnt move until it’s been put right hand I have the appropriate paperwork in my hand. I’ve had more than one drop where they didnt have a set and mine have come in very useful.

I’d also recomend a small 2kg mallet and a 3ft length of scaffolding pole.

I always carried a set, but I didn’t tell anyone I had them. As you say, some places you go to don’t have any and they expect you to have some, so that’s when they come in useful, but only then. Fully agree with you about the mallet and scaffy bar. You’re not a proper container driver if you don’t carry those two essential bits of kit :smiley: .

Almost forgot, ratchet strap or bungee straps to hold the doors open because the hook or chains are missing.

Yes! Most annoying when you’re trying to reverse down a slope onto a loading dock and have the [zb] doors swing closed :angry: .

If anyone wants the required bit of scaffolding pole I still have one in the back of my car :laughing:

Portsmouth docks the shunters like to see how low they can drop the trailer so you can’t get underneath it

Southampton they like you to drive around in circles between loading, unloading and checks

I don’t miss it but not the worst job I have had

eagerbeaver:
It’s utter garbage Tramp.

Waiting around in queues for hours on end. You can end up well over an hour simply waiting for your box to be plonked on. The only people who like container work are the bone idle, those who have lot’s of data on their device, and folk who like to lie on the bunk getting fat. (You can’t even sleep with pallets being dropped down and all manner of noise).

Mind numbing rubbish for a tenner per hour.

Straight up how it is answer, I can rely on your replies to be just this, appreciate it because I was considering giving it a go and am hoping for some realistic replies to aid my decision making. I have not any of the traits of your description of the job so it probably wouldn’t be for me on that basis.

eagerbeaver:
It’s utter garbage Tramp.

Waiting around in queues for hours on end. You can end up well over an hour simply waiting for your box to be plonked on. The only people who like container work are the bone idle, those who have lot’s of data on their device, and folk who like to lie on the bunk getting fat. (You can’t even sleep with pallets being dropped down and all manner of noise).

Mind numbing rubbish for a tenner per hour.

Never done containers in my life, never fancied it.
Thing is though Beav you are talking from a day man/just playing at the job pov. :wink: :laughing:
So you will be in a rush to get home and finish to …‘‘Get back to me own bed’’… cos… ‘‘I ain’t kipping in a tin box/washing with wet wipes/unpaid security guard’’ type of way. (The mantra of the dayman :unamused: )

If you were a proper trucker making a full commitment to the job (ie a tramper) as me, and going by his user name UK tramp (er) you do not give a flying ■■■■ how long it takes to tip/load, you welcome having a couple of hours on the bunk watching Netflix, and downing skinny lattes, while others do the graft on the back.
Apart from the endurance test knob heads amongst us, …us trampers (who have the job sussed) are chilled out, laid back, we ain’t in a rush, so we’re non heart attack type of guys, the type who look younger than what we are…(proven btw by that time when that bird behind the counter you knew at Lymm asked you if I was your better looking younger brother. :laughing: :laughing: )

Anyway UKt, now that I’ve put him in his place :smiley: :unamused: …Way I would see it, generally speaking. it will be like any other haulage type job, as good or bad as you make it and how you adapt yourself to it, there are lots of lads I know who will do nothing else other than containers, and one lad in particular I knew, used to love it as he had plenty of time to do his Open Uni course.
No good for you I would reckon if you are one of these ‘keep it lit’’ types :unamused: , who ain’t happy unless they’re running like their arse is on fire for 15 hours.
Give it a go mate, only way you’ll find out.

Not quite how I remember our last Lymm trip mate…I remember telling the lady asking if my Dad (you :laughing: ) was ok.

After you got your brew and sat at our VIP booth, I hung back and gave her a quick heads up :wink: I explained that the reason you looked so ill was that you guard your bosses truck for him most nights for around £2.20 per hour and your only friend through the long nights was Juan King.

She felt sorry for you and gave me a pot noodle (chicken & mushroom) to give to you as I had explained that you hardly ever had a cooked meal. I took it home though and I have it on my mantlepiece as a reminder to never go ■■■■■■■■ in a bag :wink: :grimacing:

As for container work for a day man, it’s dreadful. Like stapling your ■■■■■■■■ to a frisbee and then trying to throw it, or worse still a debate with CF over marxism.

In my experience I’d go for it,I do it and it’s great.
We work from the rail heads in northern England so all work generally around there.
Box on go tip or load take it back get another if you have time and job done.
Only do occasional nights out got a lovely truck with all my gear in and hardly ever work more than 12 hour a day.
Get paid the same round here as the general boys getting stressed out flying round.
Until I find a way in to one of the supermarkets on a permanent basis on a shift pattern that suits me I will carry on doing it as it’s easy.
Long tips I go for a walk or watch tv if it’s raining,clean my truck etc.
Some tips are done in minutes too,
Just try it I didn’t like it at first sat waiting etc as I came off general and wasn’t used to it but now I’d never go back

I have had so many different ideas of if it was an ok or not job to do, I am confused but as you rightly say Rob, I could give it a go as it may or may not suit me. Beaver isn’t selling it to me too well and this is the majority of what people have told me, I was hoping for a majority one way or the other off this site as there will be a lot more than I know who have actually done it. It still looks like a mixed bag of thoughts with no definitive answer. I will probably have to see for myself. I am also considering going back to Stobart for the third time now. I honestly didn’t mind it too much it was just that I wasn’t tramping for them and only days that put me off. I have the opportunity to tramp at Stobart so that is still an option. Appreciate everyone’s input though as it has been helpful in hearing the different opinions.

yorkshire terrier:
In my experience I’d go for it,I do it and it’s great.
We work from the rail heads in northern England so all work generally around there.
Box on go tip or load take it back get another if you have time and job done.
Only do occasional nights out got a lovely truck with all my gear in and hardly ever work more than 12 hour a day.
Get paid the same round here as the general boys getting stressed out flying round.
Until I find a way in to one of the supermarkets on a permanent basis on a shift pattern that suits me I will carry on doing it as it’s easy.
Long tips I go for a walk or watch tv if it’s raining,clean my truck etc.
Some tips are done in minutes too,
Just try it I didn’t like it at first sat waiting etc as I came off general and wasn’t used to it but now I’d never go back

This is a great answer, I still haven’t made up my mind over it but it is open to me, the time on my hands from it could be put to good use.

Franglais:
Might be worth noting that there seem to be many fewer 20ft skellies around now.
A heavy 20ft box is more stable carried in the middle of a 40ft slider, than on a 20ft.

What like this

UKtramp:
I have had so many different ideas of if it was an ok or not job to do, I am confused but as you rightly say Rob, I could give it a go as it may or may not suit me. Beaver isn’t selling it to me too well and this is the majority of what people have told me, I was hoping for a majority one way or the other off this site as there will be a lot more than I know who have actually done it. It still looks like a mixed bag of thoughts with no definitive answer. I will probably have to see for myself. I am also considering going back to Stobart for the third time now. I honestly didn’t mind it too much it was just that I wasn’t tramping for them and only days that put me off. I have the opportunity to tramp at Stobart so that is still an option. Appreciate everyone’s input though as it has been helpful in hearing the different opinions.

you would be ok doing reefers

UKtramp:

Come back over mate. Imagine the combined :bulb: talents of a beaver & a fridge engineer…

UKtramp:

What are you actually wanting from the job? If you list your wants and ‘not-wants’ people doing the job (or have done the job) will be able to better advise. Remember there is also short-sea work where you get in the back and unload it yourself or at least help them to unload. Deep-sea you don’t touch them; all you’re acting as is the transport company bringing their box from the docks to them - you have nothing to do with it nor its contents. If there are any complaints then you simply tell them to phone their shipping company. The only thing I had them do on deep-sea was the remove all dunnage after they’d tipped it. A lot of places just chuck all the carboard and plastic rubbish back in the box and expect you to take it away and dispose of it, but don’t let this happen because the container yard will refuse the box if it’s not clean and dry (clean = not full of rubbish).

eagerbeaver:
‘Sounds like’ the 'beaver is having a pop at me! [I’m guessing he isn’t :smiley: ]

The only people who like container work are the bone idle, .

Container work is fine if you are with the right outfit and the pay and gear is good - just like any other form of haulage or for that matter any form of employment.
What suits one doesn’t suit another - try it you might like it as the actress said to the bishop :laughing:
Regards Beau Nydel

My idea of the whole container work is for the ease of it, I usually work transporting mainly timber with curtain siders, Its all the hassle of the straps tying down, rolling them up setting out bearers etc, etc, its the worst part of the job for me, waiting in line to get loaded setting out your bearers and getting the straps at the ready to throw over which initself is a pain if you keep hitting the top of the load , winding back up then throwing again. In the rain its just horrible with half the yards you visit resembling a series of lakes you have to stand in. Any way each to his own it may not be a problem for most but I don’t like it. I have seen container drivers literally just driving to their destination and getting the boxes lifted on and off with them doing very little other than driving. Tramping wise it just seems better to me. I have never done it before so hence my questions.

UKtramp:
My idea of the whole container work is for the ease of it, I usually work transporting mainly timber with curtain siders, Its all the hassle of the straps tying down, rolling them up setting out bearers etc, etc, its the worst part of the job for me, waiting in line to get loaded setting out your bearers and getting the straps at the ready to throw over which initself is a pain if you keep hitting the top of the load , winding back up then throwing again. In the rain its just horrible with half the yards you visit resembling a series of lakes you have to stand in. Any way each to his own it may not be a problem for most but I don’t like it. I have seen container drivers literally just driving to their destination and getting the boxes lifted on and off with them doing very little other than driving. Tramping wise it just seems better to me. I have never done it before so hence my questions.

Timber is one type of work I’ve deliberately shyed away from for the exact reasons you state - much the same as steel and flat-beds! It’s such a bloody ball-ache. I’d want double what I’m earning now to be dealing with that aggro every day, but that’s because I’m an idle sod, have zero patience and get a sweat on just opening and closing the curtains :smiley: . Some drivers love that kind of work but it’s not for me.

Have you thought about non-ADR tanker work or fridge work? Both are - generally speaking - easy peasy with little effort involved. Tanks require you to have a bit of noggin but they’re simple enough once you’ve been shown what to do and given the do’s and don’ts. Tanks can be hard to get on if you don’t have any experience so if see something advertised with ‘full training given’ but a lower rate than you’d usually take, definitely consider it because once you have the prerequisite experience it will open doors to other, better paying, tanker work. :bulb:

R420:
Have you thought about non-ADR tanker work or fridge work? Both are - generally speaking - easy peasy with little effort involved. Tanks require you to have a bit of noggin but they’re simple enough once you’ve been shown what to do and given the do’s and don’ts. Tanks can be hard to get on if you don’t have any experience so if see something advertised with ‘full training given’ but a lower rate than you’d usually take, definitely consider it because once you have the prerequisite experience it will open doors to other, better paying, tanker work. :bulb:

Actually I have done some tanker work, I was taking food waste to farms which I actually quite enjoyed although it was messy and the smell from the tank wasn’t pleasant. The unit I was driving was a bit tatty and the donkey engine was on it’s last legs. My thought was I could get better work and possibility of ADR training but it wasn’t possible as it was only a temp contract. I quite fancy the idea of containers and have had an offer to go do it but for the reasons I have stated have been put off. I might bite the bullet and try it, so long as it is tramping I think it would suit me, I don’t like day work, been there and worn the t shirt with that. Tramping is so much easier and not the pressures as Rob has pointed out. I can’t stand early starts and late finishes with the pressure of trying to get home to find you end up seeing your wife less than if you were tramping.

UKtramp:

Not been doing timber long then?

Get yourself a throwing ball, heavyish, and drill a hole in it, thread and secure cord.
Throw ball over load and use cord to drag over straps.
Much easier to throw ball, than rolled up strap. Can be done against the wind too.
If on timber packs, pull 3 or so straps up with the cord at once, and shuffle them along to where you want them.

Franglais:
Get yourself a throwing ball, heavyish, and drill a hole in it, thread and secure cord.
Much easier to throw ball, than rolled up strap. Can be done against the wind too.
If on timber packs, pull 3 or so straps up with the cord at once, and shuffle them along to where you want them.

Well this is honestly a first for me, I have done timber for a couple of years and it hadn’t even crossed my mind what you are suggesting… What a great tip, I have seen countless other drivers doing the as me and have never seen the ball and rope trick. I will definitely give that a go as pardon the pun but it is a right ball ache. I simply hate the strapping part of the job as on average I can use between 8 or 10 straps per load. I am sure there are plenty of others who will not have heard of this either.

UKtramp:

Franglais:

Well this is honestly a first for me, I have done timber for a couple of years and it hadn’t even crossed my mind what you are suggesting… What a great tip, I have seen countless other drivers doing the as me and have never seen the ball and rope trick. I will definitely give that a go as pardon the pun but it is a right ball ache. I simply hate the strapping part of the job as on average I can use between 8 or 10 straps per load. I am sure there are plenty of others who will not have heard of this either.

Boy’s loads obviously!
Not often I do it, but we have one job involving 3 or 4 different sawmills, ending with many different bundles, maybe 20, no two the same size.
The “heaving line” is stolen from the nautical world.

Trampy , you need a ratchet strap winder , they are only about a tenner online or at most truck stops , I got mine at Lymm , very useful to wind in the straps thus preventing repeative strain injuries .