Container work, yay or nay

Fly by nite also want two weeks away on the containers

chester1:

Seems a bit extreme. I can’t really understand why a centrally based transport company would expect drivers to be weekended on UK container work. Perhaps it’s because their options are so restricted by having to use 4x2 units?

Harry Monk:

chester1:

Seems a bit extreme. I can’t really understand why a centrally based transport company would expect drivers to be weekended on UK container work. Perhaps it’s because their options are so restricted by having to use 4x2 units?

Possible.
Possibly they want drivers who will be ready for tour work, when it starts again, in whatever form that is ?

chester1:

Sounds like you know the company well, are they a good company to work for/worth applying for ?

I’ve seen some plain white 6x2 MANs with fly by nite stickers on lately. Mainly around the M25, either pulling milk tankers or old curtainsiders.

That 2 week stop out is off putting I have to say

Redstar46:

Just seems totally unnecessary on UK container work although as Franglais said they may be trying to find out if drivers are suited to tour work.

Harry Monk:

Redstar46:

Just seems totally unnecessary on UK container work although as Franglais said they may be trying to find out if drivers are suited to tour work.

Time for the OP to actually talk to them ain’t it?
If he is interested in containers go on for a dedicated container haulier.
If interested in FBN ask if they are planning continuing with box work, or if they are planning on dropping that…for whatever reason…

I agree. This is a question which can’t really be answered without knowing what FBN’s future plans are. I would imagine though that as they are heavily invested in tour work with a fleet of mainly low-ride 4x2 tractor units and low-ride box trailers, that they are using container work as a stop-gap and will resume their more normal work when it starts up again.

I have emailed them with absolutely so response and I notice another round of 3 job adverts on indeed advertising for drivers ?

Redstar46:
I have emailed them with absolutely so response and I notice another round of 3 job adverts on indeed advertising for drivers ?

Put yer bestest…

T shirt on, clean yer fingernails and drive down and go talk to them.

yourhavingalarf:

Redstar46:

Put yer bestest…

T shirt on, clean yer fingernails and drive down and go talk to them.

Put yer Black Sabbath 1978 tour T shirt on and put yer hair into a ponytail and drive down and talk to them.

Redstar46:

Personally I would never email about a job, it’s just too easy for it to be overlooked. In the worst case, phone them but ideally just turn up at their yard with all your night-out gear in the car and award yourself some facetime with them.

Don’t forget to wear the back stage door passes with a lanyard, the more the merrier and the mullet hair style is an added bonus.

Redstar46:

chester1:

Sounds like you know the company well, are they a good company to work for/worth applying for ?

An ex colleague works on there been there a couple of years and I bumped into him in an Amazon depot a few months ago and he said they keep them out for the two weeks. Most of the drivers are not local to base any way he lives south east London

Redstar46:

Are the fly by nites advert or poxy agency fishing adverts

robthedog:

Redstar46:

robthedog:

Redstar46:
Yeah it sounds for me, I’m lazy I guess I don’t want to load/unload or do any strapping/chaining, fly by night are advertising for container drivers still but yea it maybe a prelude to doing the touring, there’s maritime local/ish to me but I don’t like working for big company’s, fussy and lazy.

if you don’t want to work I suggest you give FBN a miss

Could you elaborate please, you’ve worked for them or ?
They are one of my nearest transport company’s, last week I saw many of them parked up on the way to Southampton docks, trucks look smart and tidy, trust me I’m not afraid of hard work/ long hours but I feel at this time it’s a drivers market, there are loads of “trainee”HGV driving jobs popping up on indeed and wages seem to be on the up, AIM advertising £45k - £55k today, so yeah I’d rather not be backing 44 tonne up to a farm foods or trying to strap down 2000 empty pallets, if that’s what people do and they like it good luck to them but for me no tar

I’ll elaborate tomorrow

Here we go then, FBN are a music and event trucking co, and as such will always be so the container work like all the other work they are doing general wise Halfords amazon etc etc is simply infill until the music world opens up again. As for the op and an easy life forget it !!
If you get a start on containers or whatever you will work 6 days non stop maxed out, and out every night with NO paid parking, then 24 off somewhere and go again for another 6 then you’ll get back for your 45 oh and you won’t be allowed to keep your tanks full for obvious reasons.
When music returns if you last you may get a chance to tour but most of the newbie general drivers will be dropped as the seasoned tour drivers return to take their spots back.
If you are lucky enough to do music you think 2 weeks away in the UK is harsh prepare yourself for 3 months away with some big overnight drives and a lot of them double drives, so from load out to load in be prepared for a 24 hour plus shift, and you will have to secure strap and bar your load as well not toss it off on the bed like on containers.
The music example is obviously pre Brexit but i’m sure all of the initial problems will be gotten around I know plans are in place to cover certain aspects of it.
Still think your in for an easy life go for it, and see how long you last.

robthedog:
The music example is obviously pre Brexit but i’m sure all of the initial problems will be gotten around I know plans are in place to cover certain aspects of it.

That is a topic for another thread maybe?
Maybe the way around Brexit that works for companies wont be so good for their employees? To avoid rumours being aired publicly Ill PM you.

Thanks for that, it answers my question and I’ve also had it confirmed by them, just saved me wasting mine and their time going for interviews and assessments etc

Franglais:

robthedog:

That is a topic for another thread maybe?
Maybe the way around Brexit that works for companies wont be so good for their employees? To avoid rumours being aired publicly Ill PM you.

Sent you a reply