Considering LGV as a new career... would you?

samledger1212:
Ye I got the money I was owed pal

This new job evil is very good no stupid o clock starts no stupid o’clock fin I do two weeks of 7.30am to 4.30pm then I do 1 week of 8.30am to about 7pm I get a hr or 2 for dinner to then I do 3 weeks of 2pm starts to 10.30 11pm to do a trunk run I proper love this job all the lads the boss and office staff are spot on

Sounds like everything I didn’t get on the contract I finished today! :laughing:
Good planning and good blokes (or lasses) I think can make a place…
If you have both, plus work itself isn’t a slog and the wage not bad, you can’t complain! :smiley:

nice one mate!

This is my first post so it’s likely this question has been asked before.

I am contemplating a career in LGV/HGV driving without any experience and heard there was a shortage of drivers. However, when I look at job adverts they always require at least 1-2 years experience. This seems to contradict the view that there’s a shortage of drivers. So in light of this, the ultimate question is that is it worth my while paying for the training and risking then not having regular work? Thanks.

I think they should have a poll on here for people to tick the box selecting where they have heard that there is a shortage of drivers. I know for sure it ain’t the inside of a toilet cubicle door in the services.

I passed my class C February packed up my business I had ran for 15 years but had enough of spent a week thinking ■■■■ is there really lots of work out there I sent out multiple job applications via reed and landed a job via a an agency 10 weeks for them then full time with the company, no denying it’s hard work but it’s clean ,4 day week and really good money so to me it’s a win win, morale of the story is take a chance there are jobs out there , life’s too short

It’s clearly not a good idea for trainers to suggest there may be a driver shortage. (I only ever say that there is one coming - cos there certainly is). But anyone in doubt should read reliable publications such as Commercial Motor which regularly carry articles regarding the current and impending driver shortage. Or contact the Road Haulage Association or the Freight Transport Association who are, together with various other bodies including me, in regular talks with DVSA about how the increased demand for drivers will be resourced.

I am fully aware that the current slight shortage is regional. I am also painfully aware of the poor wages on offer from some operators. But I also come across good genuine operators who are struggling to recruit drivers.

I caused a bit of hassle recently on here by suggesting that maybe drivers don’t always help themselves when they go for interview. And I stand by that. If you’re to be let loose with a rig that has the value of a small house, plus it’s load, then a degree of “get up and go” has to be shown to get the job.

Regardless of my position within the industry I believe that this is a good time to get a start in an industry that is showing every sign of being “on the up”. For many years it’s been a poor bet, but things change.

So, although there’s no huge sign of a massive driver shortage at the moment, watch this space.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m actually the complete opposite as I’m strongly considering moving away from driving as a career after only 15 years while I’m still young enough to learn other skills

I’m actually the complete opposite as I’m strongly considering moving away from driving as a career after only 15 years while I’m still young enough to learn other skills

… thus contributing to any driver shortage!! Many folks have “walked”, mainly because of pay and conditions together with a few that didn’t want to do cpc.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t believe this " driver shortage " exists as my firm has a waiting list of people wanting a job

As long as we’re in the EU there will never be a national driver shortage in the UK.

ROG:
Come 2020 I can guarantee a minimum of £9 per hour

There is no general driver shortage - if there was then all new passes would be grabbed immediately by companies not agencies and the jobs advertised would be by companies not agencies

You could get the licences and do the odd day driving as long as the EU regs weekly rest rules are complied with

The shortage is for you olduns who like living in the cab. I’ve got Class 1, dress smartish (t-shirt and work trousers or jeans. No trackies), and have 4 A-levels (and a university diploma, sort of). But can I get a job?

To the OP, driving can be back breaking work, especially Class 2 jobs. I had to slide out of bed once because I couldn’t bend my back. This was 2am, then I went into Central London finishing about 17:30.

hi, i am soon going to be starting at Goldstar transport at woolpit as a night driver, does anyone work for them or know the sort of runs and jobs you get on nights, etc. I have passed my driver assessment and should be starting in a few weeks. Any feedback on what their like to work for would be appreciated.

Keeping an eye on the job market before I take the plunge for training I have noticed a few large companies hiring through agencies.

One large employer is Aldi, you work for the agency for 4 weeks and if all goes well you join Aldi officially on the 5th week. It saves the company hiring drivers which turn out to be no good, if they employed them direct from the outset then they are stuck with them until they foul up. At least with an agency they can terminate employment with not having to give a reason. Mind you £14 an hour sounded good until I read it was 12 hour shifts 12noon-midnight or midnight to 12 noon. 4 on and only 2 off - you would need the 2 to recover!!

A friend of mine door knocked a few big companies after getting his license. One took him on after a quick drive out assessment - they were looking at the time for a driver but didnt want the hassle of interviewing, cost of adverts etc etc.

Moral is a decent job wont find you, you have to put in the legwork to find the decent job.

Bloom1974.field:
hi, i am soon going to be starting at Goldstar transport at woolpit as a night driver, does anyone work for them or know the sort of runs and jobs you get on nights, etc. I have passed my driver assessment and should be starting in a few weeks. Any feedback on what their like to work for would be appreciated.

They have been discussed in the past, not always in the best light! :cry:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=goldstar+trucknet&oq=goldstar+trucknet&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.294j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Goldstar…Container work mate…