Considering hgv as a career, newbie questions

‘A’ is the current cat. for bikes but it used to be the cat. you got when you passed your car test (IIRC it changed around 1990). If you passed before then and haven’t had any need to change your licence it’ll obviously still show an A on your licence even though it refers to a car licence.

so er how do i know if i covered to drive a 7.5t truck, although i dont intend to go for a job driving a 7.5t truck. Passed my driving test in 86 and my new style liscence says A and GH.

how long would it take to pass my ‘C’ test roughly ?

what agancies are in scotland particularly in my area ?

how do i know if i covered to drive a 7.5t truck

YOU ARE if you passed your car ‘B’ test before 1997.

I am assisting/advising a guy in the same position as yourself this Wednesday. He passed his car test before 97 and has the licence to drive a 7.5 but has never done so. We will take out a 7.5 without L plates as he is not a Learner for that catagory which is now C1.

You should have class C1 on your license to drive 7.5 tonnes.

As far as the class A and GH is concerned, A is for a motorbike, G is for a road roller and H is for a tracked vehicle, GH … well I’ve never heard of a tracked road roller so it’s your guess :wink:

There probably are people here from your area who will be able to advise about agency’s, but you could also try your local papers and yellow pages to see what agency’s are about.

Best of luck if you do decide to become a lorry driver Bob. Like any job it’s got its ups and downs. You’ll need to get used to a lot of b/s laws legislations (a la EU) :smiling_imp:

Me personally my fav thing about it is being left to work on my own and make my own decisions and do things my own way

Watch out with the driver agencies though, a lot of them tend not to give a ■■■■ about their employees. It’s as if they would gladly step over their own mothers as long as they just get shifts covered.[/i]

Bob,

It’s been said in the past by others on here and the same “advice” still stands today :-

You’ve got to want to be a trucker and have a real passion for driving. If you don’t, you will absolutely hate it. You’ll quickly get sick of the 15hr days, the traffic jams, the driving hours red tape, the stupid H&S rules, the spotty 18yr old traffic office numpties that don’t know one end of a truck from the other, the sleeping in a tin cab for 4 nights out of 7, the public’s perception of you, the bad-attitude security bods and RDC goons, the not be able to make/keep any personal appointments because you never know what time you’ll be finished, etc.

If you can’t cope with that lot (and more) without working yourself up into a lather then please forget the idea. There are enough stress-heads driving wagons like lunatics already without adding to it.

Rob K:
Bob,

It’s been said in the past by others on here and the same “advice” still stands today :-

You’ve got to want to be a trucker and have a real passion for driving. If you don’t, you will absolutely hate it. You’ll quickly get sick of the 15hr days, the traffic jams, the driving hours red tape, the stupid H&S rules, the spotty 18yr old traffic office numpties that don’t know one end of a truck from the other, the sleeping in a tin cab for 4 nights out of 7, the public’s perception of you, the bad-attitude security bods and RDC goons, the not be able to make/keep any personal appointments because you never know what time you’ll be finished, etc.

If you can’t cope with that lot (and more) without working yourself up into a lather then please forget the idea. There are enough stress-heads driving wagons like lunatics already without adding to it.

now tell him the bad bits rob. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for the replies and great advice guys. :sunglasses:

i contacted 2 training centres today to get an idea of price and training days. Both are in Kilmarnock and one is much cheaper as theres no vat in their prices.

jimmairdrivertraining.com/ this mob are £146 per day, 8.30 - 3.30 and only mon-fri, £89 for test.

ayrdrivertraining.co.uk/ this mob are £120 per day and £89 for test, 4 hour day if you want 1 to 1 and an 8 hour day if you want 2 trainees to 1 instructor. They do weekend training which would suit me better.

so is the top one 8 hour day because they must take 2 trainees out at once?

the bottom one would suit me best because if i get a job soon i can still train at the weekends also they are much cheaper due to not paying vat.

im not sure if anyone can vouch for either company, they both say an average is 5 days training and then your test, based on that it would cost £690 for training and test with the bottom company.

i have downloaded the d4 form and ordered a d2 form from the dvla.