Compoflex

In that list that Wheel Nut found: 1946 Swallow Coach builders.

Wonder if that was Swallow Side cars, Blackpool, which, i think, later became Jaguar?

Could be Driverone,but Sir William Lyons started way earlier than that with Swallow,he was doing Swallow bodies on Austin7 and Singers in 1931,maybe he sold the Swallow name when he registered the Jaguar name.

Well that was very interesting Malc, I had an Armstrong bike in the 50s. It was a super lightweight racer and, as no-one else I knew had even heard of them, assumed they were a cut above :unamused: .
Now you tell me it was just a common or garden Raleigh. :smiling_imp:
Had one of them too, earlier. :slight_smile:

Hi
Used to work for a plant hire firm with a yard across the road in the old railway station yard.Compoflex used to make hydraulic pipes and flexy hoses,used to get pipes repaired there for the dozers and excavators.
was born a mile up the road at Knarr Farm behind the Cross Keys pub brings back memories of watching allthe trucks on the A 62 before the M62 opened.
Cheers
Ronnie

Hi,

I know this is a little leftfield but I’m a solicitor and I’m helping the family of a man who worked at Complex in the 1960’s and 1970’s bring a claim for asbestos related lung cancer.

It’s suspected there was asbestos involved at Compoflex and I wonder if anyone could DM me if they have any information that would assist.

Thank-you.

Regards,

Michael

obsys:
It has taken me some years to manage to log in to this site to reply to Scantheman but I could give you lots of information about Compoflex if you still want it.

My father was the General Manager then Managing Director in the 60s and 70s. Compoflex started in Godalming in Surrey in the 50s making flexible tubing. In the late 50s they opened a factory in Oldham, the old Asa Lees mill on Huddersfield Road. In about 1962/3 there was a fire at Asa Lees followed about a year later by another fire. My father then bought Lumb Mill in Delph, an ex-Naval victualing depot, at auction and prepared for the move from Huddersfield Road.

At that time, the lorries were all black and yellow, commonly known as bumble bees!

In the late 60s, after a chance remark by one of the directors to a director of TI, the company was taken over by TI when the livery was changed to two shades of blue. At this time Compoflex was making all sorts of flexible tubing ranging from hoses for Electrolux cleaners to large oil-master hoses for the oil industry. I worked during the school holidays in the packing department at Lumb.

In the early 70s my father bought Gatehead House, just across the road from Lumb. This is now flats and the gardens have a housing estate on them.

I could add much more if anyone is interested.

Charles O’Brien

Hi Charles

I was interested to read your post as my dad was MD at TI compoflex in the 1970s, his secretary was a lovely lady named Mrs Parkinson, who lived on a farm a kept Geese. I visited the site in Delph for a school work experience, I remember a huge variety of hoses! I would love to hear more!
Thanks
Nat P

moomooland:

scantheman:
I know its a long shot but does anyone remember compoflex,my dad used to drive for them in the seventies running from their depot in Delph.

The wagons were Dark blue and light blue cabs with a silver box that had TI on the side.

My Dad’s truck was a leyland boxer HNA 801N and i used to go to scotland on nights out with him.

I doubt anyone has any pictures but i would love to see some or hear from anyone who remembers them :wink:

Scan

Yes i remember your dad well.

I used to talk to him regular as i used to live in Delph and parked my motor up some nights (below) in the 70s in the yard at Compoflex in Delph along side your dad’s motor.

!(http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss309/moomooland01/remploy2-1.jpg[/

Regards Paul
[/quote]
Fancy that “moomooland” using an image that is not yours but was nicked in the first place by photo bucket, what ever would Mr W.J.Riding think of your behaviour, pot & kettle springs to mind. Buzzer)

Fancy that “moomooland” using an image that is not yours but was nicked in the first place by photo bucket, what ever would Mr W.J.Riding think of your behaviour, pot & kettle springs to mind. Buzzer
[/quote]
Ouch :smiley: :smiley:

Fancy that “moomooland” using an image that is not yours but was nicked in the first place by photo bucket, what ever would Mr W.J.Riding think of your behaviour, pot & kettle springs to mind. Buzzer

Listen you nob the picture was mine that my late wife took in Springburn in 1978 so shut the ■■■■ up and crawl back into your hole.

Dennis Javelin:

Ouch :smiley: :smiley:

The blokes a complete nob

scantheman:
I know its a long shot but does anyone remember compoflex,my dad used to drive for them in the seventies running from their depot in Delph.

The wagons were Dark blue and light blue cabs with a silver box that had TI on the side.

My Dad’s truck was a leyland boxer HNA 801N and i used to go to scotland on nights out with him.

I doubt anyone has any pictures but i would love to see some or hear from anyone who remembers them :wink:

Scan

Yes i remember your dad well.

I used to talk to him regular as i used to live in Delph and parked my motor up some nights (below) in the 70s in the yard at Compoflex in Delph along side your dad’s motor.

Regards Paul

Hi Scantheman
Thames Trader is right,Compoflex used to supply the tanker company I worked for after MMB with the chemical flex hose’s we used for offloading.Quite a big company at the time.By the way say hello to your dad for me.